- Google Chrome is a safe and reliable browser, but some users want to have an additional layer of protection.
- Google Chrome’s highlight are its extensions, and you can use them to enhance your browser in various ways.
- If you want to make your browsing experience more secure, here are some antivirus extensions that you should try out.
- Are you interested in other Chrome guides, news and extensions? If so, check out our Chrome hub, for more information.
Analyzing the fast pace that cybercrime is increasing by these days, it’s becoming more and more essential to boost your online security.
You can do this be getting stronger passwords, making transactions only on sites that come with an SSL certificate and more.
But, unfortunately, these measures are not always enough for staying as secure as possible. There are more things that you can do to make your life easier and stress-free.
For instance, you can add a Chrome extension to your Chrome browser to keep you safe.
Here are five great security extensions for your Chrome browser.
Do I really need to install an antivirus extension on my browser?
Well, if you don’t want to download yet another browser extension, you can switch to UR Browser.
This browser is all about security and privacy. It packs an integrated virus scanner that instantly alerts you about potential malicious websites.
Moreover, the browser automatically takes you to the secured version of the website you’re trying to visit. Add to that the double RSA key size for SSL certificates and you’ve got a very secure and reliable browser.
As a matter of fact, thanks to all these security features, UR Browser doesn’t need any antivirus extension.
So, if you don’t really want to download any security extensions on Chrome, you can try out UR Browser.
On the other hand, if you prefer to stick to Chrome, read on to learn what are the best antivirus extensions to install on Google’s browser.
PureVPN – Chrome VPN Browser Extension
When it comes to maintaining your safety online, PureVPN is ideal for the job.
This is one of the leading VPN giants which offers users unmatched online privacy and enhanced security thanks to its fantastic dedication and self-managed global VPN network that includes more than 750 servers based in over 140 countries.
Take a look at the most impressive reasons for which this is one of the best Chrome antivirus extensions:
- It offers fast speed Internet capabilities.
- It doesn’t come with any log-maintaining policy for its users.
- You will be able to pass censorship laws in any country while still remaining protected at all times when you are connected to a secure server.
- You can browse with complete security guaranteed.
- You will also enjoy unlimited streaming.
- Using Chrome VPN Browser Extension, you can dodge ISP throttling and buffer, and you can also stream with zero lag.
- You can choose from a host of servers that are strategically located around the world.
PureVPN’s chrome VPN extension offers unmatched features such as encryption, WebRTC Leak Protection, IP switching capability and an unrivaled streaming experience.
You will always be protected against all kinds of hacking attempts, and you will be able to enjoy a smooth browsing experience.
Get Chrome VPN Browser Extension from its official website.
- Also read: 5 best VPN client software for Windows 7 PCs
Trustware SecureBrowsing makes it easier and safer to search, socialize and surf online.
This is a free browser plug-in that displays security icons next to links on search engines such as Bing and Google, on social networking sites, and in web-based email like Yahoo and Gmail.
Check out the best features included in Trustware SecureBrowsing:
- Trustware SecureBrowsing is extremely easy to use.
- It displays very clear safety ratings next to each link on a webpage and this way you can be confident that you click through to safe content.
- Trustware SecureBrowsing uses proactive real-time security to alert you before an infected website is accessed.
- It protects you from malware that could otherwise compromise your security.
- You can rest assured that Trustware SecureBrowsing won’t collect any personal data.
- The plug-in won’t install any additional programs or change desktop settings.
- Even if infected sites are logged, it will not track the user’s URL history.
The installation of Trustware SecureBrowsing is speedy and simple, and all you have to do is click on the download button from the Trustware SecureBrowsing official website and follow the steps from the installation wizard.
With just a few clicks Trustware SecureBrowsing will be up and running.
ZenMate VPN is an extension that provides excellent online privacy. It encrypts all of your online traffic, and it also hides your IP address so that you will be able to browse the web anonymously.
Take a look at more interesting features that are included in ZenMate VPN:
- It provides total security and privacy along with complete freedom.
- This is a trusted tool that is used by over 42 million users all over the world.
- You’ll be able to enjoy the Internet anonymously and without having any restrictions.
- ZenMate VPN provides unlimited bandwidth and fast speeds.
- You can use it on up to five devices at the same time in order to make sure that you stay safe and secure.
- ZenMate VPN doesn’t follow a strict no-logging policy.
This is one of the simplest VPN that’s currently available on the market. ZenMate VPN offers hundreds of servers in over 30 global locations.
You can check out more features and get ZenMate VPN from the official website.
Ghostery is a Chrome browser extension that will help you manage website trackers for a cleaner, faster and a safer experience.
Once you add this to your Chrome browser, it will be able to detect all the trackers that are placed on a website.
Whether they’re targeted at advertising, site analytics, or social media, Ghostery will give you the option to block some or all of them.
Check out more exciting features below:
- You will be able to find out lots of details about a tracker by clicking on its name.
- For the websites that you trust, Ghostery allows you to mark them as trusted and the trackers from that particular domain will not get blocked.
- For the websites that you do not trust, you will be able to restrict them to block all trackers automatically.
- Ghostery helps you browse smarter by providing you control over the ads and tracking technology to speed up the page loads, to eliminate clutter and protect your data.
- It automatically optimizes the page performance as you browse.
- Its dynamic UI includes multiple displays and a detailed tracker dashboard.
- The enhanced Anti-Tracking functionality anonymizes your data to protect your privacy even more.
Get Ghostery from its official page as see how it works.
- Also read: How to backup Google Chrome extensions
There’s nothing that can secure you more than a VPN of a public WiFi. Other extensions for Chrome either log your activity or are not free but things are different with TunnelBear.
This is a free VPN extension that besides the fact that it secures your browsing on a public WiFi with private connections to 20 countries such as the UK, Canada, and the US, it also doesn’t log your online activity and this is really important.
Take a look at more reasons for which you should definitely try TunnelBear:
- You can access blocked websites, and TunnelBear will reduce the websites’ and ads’ ability to track you.
- With TunnelBear’s free model, you will be able to get up to 500MB data per month.
- You can get 500MB more by confirming your email and 1GB if you tweet on their Twitter handle.
- If you want to be able to browse unlimited data, you can go to the official website and check their prices.
TunnelBear is the only VPN in the whole world that has published an independent security audit.
Check out more of essential advantages and get TunnelBear from its official webpage.
Avast Online Security
This extension comes from Avast and it will keep you protected during your browsing sessions.
By using this extension, every website that you visit will be scanned, and in case the website is malicious, you’ll be informed right away.
Avast Online Security can also identify websites that are trying to steal your data, and there’s even a rating system available, so you can see how a specific site was rated by other Avast users.
To check a rating of a specific website, simply move your cursor over its link, and you should see the reviews.
In case you visit a malicious website unknowingly, you’ll get a warning message as soon as you open it.
This extension also has a rating system, so you can easily rate a website and let other users know if that website is harmful to them.
Avast Online Security also works with online shopping, and it will open automatically when you do online shopping or banking.
It’s also worth mentioning that this extension will block tracking cookies, so it will keep your browsing activity hidden from third-parties.
Overall, Avast Online Security is a solid antivirus extension, and with a built-in rating system, you should be able to easily avoid malicious websites that might steal your personal information or harm your PC.
- Ability to detect and block phishing websites
- Easy to use rating system
- Works with online banking and shopping
- Ability to block tracking cookies
You can never be too prepared to prevent cyberattacks unless you implement all the necessary tools that are able to combat all malicious entities and keep your online activity secure.
These five tools are some of the best and the most efficient Chrome antivirus extensions that you can currently find on the market.
Go to their official websites and check out their complete set of functionalities and features to see which ones you like best.
After you decide, get the best Chrome antivirus extension for your security needs and start browsing like crazy.
FAQ: Learn more about Google Chrome
- Are Chrome extensions secure?
Yes, Chrome extensions are secure to use. To be on the safe side, always check the extension’s reviews before installing it.
- How do I stop extensions on Google Chrome?
To stop a Chrome extension from running, just open the Extensions tab and toggle the switch next to the extension you want to disable.
- Can Chrome extensions steal passwords?
Chrome extensions don’t steal passwords, but sometimes a malicious extension that does can appear. These extensions are usually quickly identified by Google and removed.
- Why are my Chrome extensions grayed out?
If your extensions are grayed out, it means that they are probably disabled, so you need to go back to the Extensions tab and enable them.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in January 2018 and has been since revamped and updated in April 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.