How to fix error 25004: The product key cannot be used on this machine
How do I fix product key error in Microsoft Office?
- Open the Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter
- Uninstall Existing Office 2013 Versions
- Edit the Tokens.dat File Title
- Erase the Temp Folder
- Scan the Registry
Error 25004 occurs when users try to install MS Office 2013. The full error message states: Error 25004. The product key you entered cannot be used on this machine. This is most likely due to previous Office 2013 trials being installed. Consequently, users can’t install the Office 2013 suite when that error message pops up. These are a few resolutions that might fix Office Error Code 25004.
SOLVED: The product key cannot be used
1. Open the Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter
- The Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter for Windows 10, 8.1, 8 and 7 is a handy bit of kit for fixing installation error messages. That is a Microsoft troubleshooter, but you’ll need to download it from this webpage as you can’t open it from the Settings window.
- Thereafter, open the Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter from the folder you downloaded it to.
- First, click Advanced to select the Apply repairs automatically option.
- Click the Next button on the troubleshooter‘s window.
- Then press the Installing button.
- Select MS Office 2013 if it’s listed. If the suite isn’t on the software list, you can select Not Listed instead.
- Press the Next button to proceed.
2. Uninstall Existing Office 2013 Versions
The 25004 error message states, “This is most likely due to previous Office 2013 trials being installed.” Thus, the error message usually pops up if there’s an MS Office trial package version already installed, which might have come pre-installed on your laptop or desktop. As such, thoroughly uninstalling that Office software might fix the issue.
You could uninstall the MS Office software the usual way via the Control Panel’s Programs and Features applet. However, it’s better to remove the software with third-party uninstallers, such as Advanced Uninstaller PRO 12, that will also erase leftover registry entries. You can uninstall software with Advanced Uninstaller PRO 12 as follows.
- Click the Download Now button on this Advanced Uninstaller PRO website page.
- Open the Advanced Uninstaller PRO setup wizard to add the software to Windows.
- Click Uninstall Programs to open the software’s uninstaller.
- Then have a look for an MS Office suite listed on the Uninstall Programs window. You can enter ‘Office’ in the search box to search for it.
- Select the MS Office software, and click the Uninstall option.
- Select the Use leftover scanner option shown in the snapshot directly below.
- Press the Yes button to confirm.
- The software will then show you leftover registry entries and files. Select all the leftovers, and click the Next and Done buttons.
- Restart Windows after uninstalling MS Office.
3. Edit the Tokens.dat File Title
Office Error Code 25004 can also be due to a token.dat file interfering with the MS Office 2013 activation. So renaming the tokens.dat is another potential resolution for the 25004 error code. You can edit the tokens.dat file title in Windows 10 as follows.
- Click the File Explorer button on the Windows 10 taskbar.
- Open this folder path in File Explorer: Windows > System32 > app > store > 2.0.
- Right-click the tokens.dat file in 2.0 folder and select the Rename option.
- Then enter tokens.dat.old as the new file title, and press the Return key.
— RELATED: Fix: Unable to Change Windows 10 Product Key
4. Erase the Temp Folder
Corrupted files in the Temp folder can be another factor behind Office Error Code 25004. So clearing the Temp folder might resolve the 25004 issue. This is how you can clear out Temp folder.
- Open the Win + X menu by pressing the Windows key + X hotkey.
- Select Run on the menu to open that accessory.
- Enter ‘%temp%’ in Run, and click the OK button.
- You can press Ctrl + A to select all the files in the Temp folder.
- Then press the Delete button to erase them.
5. Scan the Registry
Invalid registry entries are another thing that can bring 25004 error messages. Thus, a registry cleaner utility might be what you need to fix Office Error Code 25004. Windows doesn’t include one, but CCleaner is third-party software that millions of users scan the registry with. You can scan the registry with the freeware CCleaner as follows.
- Click the Download button on this webpage to get the setup wizard for the freeware CCleaner.
- Open CCleaner’s installer to add the utility software to Windows.
- Then launch CCleaner, and click Registry on the left of its window.
- Select all the registry check boxes, and press the Scan for Issues button.
- Then click the Fix selected issues button.
- You can select to back up the registry if you wish by clicking Yes on the dialog box window that opens. As CCleaner is highly rated software, you probably don’t need to take that precaution.
- Click Fix All Selected Issues on the window shown directly below.
- Thereafter, close CCleaner, restart Windows and install MS Office 2013.
Those resolutions will probably fix Office Error Code 25004 so that you can install MS Office 2013. They aren’t necessarily guaranteed fixes, but there’s a good chance that one of them will resolve the 25004 error message.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- How to uninstall Office Click-to-run on Windows 10
- How to Easily Disable Office 2013 Sign-in Feature
- FIX: Couldn’t repair Office 2007/2010/2013/2016
Installing Android drivers on a PC should be a walk in a park. You connect your handset with the PC via the USB cable and, […]
Do you have NOX installed on your PC? Are you experiencing any form of lag while running it? This article is specially designed for you! […]
Do you have ExpressVPN installed on your PC? Do you encounter connection problems after an update? This guide will help you out. Here, we’ll be […]