If you’re getting the ‘ERROR_ARENA_TRASHED’ error, with the description ‘The storage control blocks were destroyed’ follow the troubleshooting steps listed in this article to fix it.
The storage control blocks were destroyed: What does this mean?
If “The storage control blocks were destroyed. Error code 7” message appears on the screen, this means that some files got corrupted. This error can occur in a variety of situations:
- when installing the latest Windows updates
- when downloading and installing Visual Studio
- when playing games
- when installing third-party apps and programs, etc.
How to fix the ‘ERROR_ARENA_TRASHED’ error code
Solution 1 — Run a full system scan
Malware may cause various issues on your computer, including errors. Perform a full system scan in order to detect any malware running on your computer. You can use Windows’ built-in antivirus, Windows Defender, or third-party antivirus solutions.
Solution 2 — Repair your registry
The simplest way to repair your registry is to use a dedicated tool, such as CCleaner. Don’t forget to first backup your registry in case anything goes wrong. If you haven’t installed any registry cleaner on your computer, check out our article on the best registry cleaners to use on Windows 10 PCs.
You can also use Microsoft’s System File Checker to check for system file corruption. However, this utility is only available on Windows 10. Here’s how to run an SFC scan:
1. Go to Start > type cmd > right-click Command Prompt > select Run as Administrator
2. Now type the sfc /scannow command
3. Wait for the scanning process to complete and then restart your computer. All corrupted files will be replaced on reboot.
Solution 3 — Update your OS
Make sure that you’re running the latest Windows OS updates on your machine. As a quick reminder, Microsoft constantly rolls out Windows updates in order to improve the system’s stability and fix various issues. Go to Windows Update, check for updates and install the available updates. To access the Windows Update section, you can simply type “update” in the search box. This method works on all Windows versions.
If you’re looking for a particular update, go to Microsoft’s Update Catalog website. Simply type the KB number of the respective update, hit Enter and then click on the download button.
Solution 4 — Perform a clean boot
A clean boot starts Windows using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This action eliminates software conflicts, and helps you determine what conflict is causing the ERROR_ARENA_TRASHED error.
How to perform a clean boot on Windows 10:
- Type System Configuration in the search box > hit Enter
- On the Services tab > select the Hide all Microsoft services check box > click Disable all.
3. On the Startup tab > click on Open Task Manager.
4. On the Startup tab in Task Manager > select all items > click Disable.
5. Close the Task Manager.
6. On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box >click OK > restart your computer.
How to perform a clean boot on Windows 7:
1. Go to Start > type msconfig.exe > select the System Configuration utility.
2. On the General tab, click the Selective startup option > uncheck the Load startup items check box.
For more information on how to perform a clean boot on other Windows versions, check out Microsoft’s support page.
Solution 5— Uninstall and reinstall the apps affected by the ‘ERROR_ARENA_TRASHED’ error
If the ERROR_ARENA_TRASHED error code occurs when using a particular app or program, try uninstalling and reinstalling the respective programs. Also, if this error occurs shortly after installing a new app or program, try uninstalling the respective app or program.
We hope the solutions listed above helped you fix ‘The storage control blocks were destroyed’ error code. If you’ve come across other workarounds to fix this error, you can list the troubleshooting steps in the comment section below.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- Fix: Fatal system error on Windows 10
- Fix: FILE_SYSTEM error on Windows 10
- Fix: FAT_FILE_SYSTEM error on Windows 10