This is how we fixed ‘The Package could not be registered’ error
Oftentimes, there is a rather weird The package could not be registered error message that shows up every time you try to open a .jpg file. That said, the error might happen with just about any image file. Also, the other quite frustrating aspect with the particular error is that it can happen any moment.
However, no matter how misleading or intriguing the error message might seem to be, the explanation is rather simple in that it happens due to a corrupted system file. And the way out of the mess is easy too.
Steps to fix package registration errors
Step 1: Perform SFC scan
You need to launch Windows command prompt first to do this. Here are the steps.
- Type cmd in the Cortana search box in the desktop and press enter.
- From the result provided, right click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.
- In the Command prompt window, type the command sfc /scannow and press Enter.
It might take several minutes for the program to run completely. Post that, you will be provided with a message indicating the status of your PC. Of course, you have nothing to worry if the scan turns out fine and things are restored. However, you might also be required to insert the Windows 10 disk to restore any files that may be missing.
Step 2: Reset the Photos app
Another reason the error happens is that there might be some anomaly with the Photos app and resetting the same often helps restore things. Here are the steps.
- Click on Start > Settings > Apps > Apps & features.
- You will be provided with a list of apps installed in your PC. Locate the Photos app
- Click on Advanced options and select Reset.
- This will reset the app to its factory settings. Restart your PC and see if you are able to view image files.
Step 3: Update Photos App
Updating an app is also often the easiest method of dealing with an error.
- To be sure, head to Microsoft Store.
- Click on the three horizontal dots at the top right corner and select Downloads and Uploads.
- Locate the Photos app and see if there is an update available for the app. The app should update automatically if you have set it like that. Otherwise, there should be Update tab accompanying the app. Click on it to update the app.
Step 4: Set Photos app as default if it isn’t already
- To do that, right click on any image file and select Properties.
- Select General tab and click on Change.
- Select Photos from the list of App shown.
- Click on OK and then Apply and OK in the Properties dialog box.
Sometimes, you might also get the error when trying to run a UWP (Universal Windows Platform) app on a mobile device or when working on the XAML. However, the solution here is really simple as you just have to enable the Developer mode in the target device. Here is how you do it.
- Click on Start > Settings > Update & Security.
- There in the Update & Security page, select For developers from the list of options on the left hand panel.
- Under the For developers sections, enable Developer mode.
The process is fairly similar for Windows Phone.
- Select Settings > Update & Security > For developers.
- Under the For developers section, select Developer mode.
Also, if you are getting the error message on your Windows Phone device, ensure you are running the latest version of Windows 10. Here is how you check for update on a Windows Phone.
- Select Settings > Update & security > Windows Update.
- Here you will get to see the Check for updates tab. Click on to see if there are updates available.
This should help solve the Package could not be registered error message for good.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- You can now build your own WSL distro packages for the Microsoft Store
- Fix: ‘There is a problem with this Windows Installer package’
- Full Fix: Oops your selected image failed to load message on Windows 10
Microsoft has announced that Windows 10 users will no longer be able to use the Groove Music app to stream music from OneDrive. The decision will impact Windows […]
The main question we look forward to answering today is ”How to delete the undeletable folder or file in Windows?”. The common error or bug […]
After signing up for a subscription to Netflix, you let yourself get carried away by the excitement and start episodes on episodes. You leave many […]