How to extract RAR files in Windows 8, Windows 10: Easy guide
Extracting your “.rar” files in Windows 8 or in Windows 10 can be a task that will take you no more than five minutes of your time but you will have to be aware of the software needed for you to be able to extract your files. The software available for Windows 8 and Windows 10 in order to extract your files can be free if you use a trial version or you can buy the full version depending on your needs.
I will explain how you can use both of the applications and get your files extracted in no time. Follow the tutorial below for detailed explanations on how to extract the .rar files in Windows 8 and Windows 10.
Tutorial for extracting the “.rar” files using a Windows 8 or Windows 10 system
- For you to install the free “7-zip” application you will need to left click on the link posted below:
Download here 7-Zip program for Windows 8, Windows 10
- In order to install the “WinRAR” application you can left click on the link posted below:
Note: installing the ”WinRAR” application will allow you to use a free trial version and check out how it works for yourself.
Download here WinRAR program for Windows 8, Windows 10
Follow the steps from below for a quick understanding of how to extract the “.rar” “files:
- After you successfully installed the 7-Zip application to your Windows 8 or Windows 10 device you will need to locate your .rar file.
- Right click on the “.rar” file to open the folders menu.
- Left click on the feature “7-Zip” you have presented in that menu.
- Now, after left clicking on the “7-Zip” feature you will have a series of options available to choose from.
- If you want to extract the .rar files to the location you have the .rar folder then you will need to left click on the feature “Extract Here”.
Note: For viewing the contents of the .rar folder you only have to double click (left click) on the folder.
- If you want to extract the .rar files to your “/Downloads” directory you only have to left click on the feature “Extract to Downloads”.
- If you want to extract the .rar file to a specific directory left click on the “Extract files…” and under the “Extract to:” feature select the directory you want to copy them to and then left click on the “OK” button presented in the lower side of the screen.
- For the WinRAR version you can apply the same tutorial posted above but you will have instead of “7-zip” name the “WinRAR” name.
So now that you have your .rar file extracted you can go ahead and carry out your work on the Windows 8 and Windows 10 device without any issue. If you have any questions regarding the extraction of the .rar file, please write us below and we will see what we can do to help you further
How to extract RAR without WinRar
If you don’t want to use WinRar to extract files, you can use an alternative solution. For example, you can download Directory Opus, a very powerful file manager for Windows 10.
Many users believe that the best file managers should be versatile and powerful enough to handle any file management need and requirements that users may have. However, not all file manager can handle archiving and unarchiving files.
Directory Opus brings many useful features and options to your computer and can easily replace WinRAR’s archiving functionality.
How to extract RAR without password
Some .rar files may be password protected. The good news is that you can extract them even if you forgot the password.
The easiest way to do that is to download and install a dedicated RAR password recovery tool, such as the RAR Password Genius developed by iSunShare Software.
This small, yet powerful password recovery utility can help you recover lost or forgotten passwords for RAR archives create by various file compression tools.
RAR Password Genius can recover complex passwords within minutes. The tool comes in two versions: a free version and a premium version. You can use the free version to recover passwords of up to three characters.
Extract RAR file access denied
Sometimes, even if you have the most reliable RAR extractor and you recovered your password, the error message ‘Access denied‘ occurs.
This issue may be triggered by access permission limitations, among other things. The good news is that you can fix that by taking ownership of the respective folder.
- Right click on the RAR folder > select Properties
- Go to the Security tab > click on the Advanced button
- Go to the Owner tab in Advanced Security Settings
- Select Edit > select the problematic user account from Change Owner. You may give everyone permission by adding everyone.
- Click on Other users or groups > type Everyone in the field provided > hit OK.
- Select User/group > click Apply >OK.
- Change the owner name > click OK > exit the Properties windows.
You have now taken ownership of the folder. Now you need to get permissions to access it.
- Right click on the folder > select Properties
- Select the Edit button > click OK
- In the permission windows, select user/group or click Add to add other user
- Under Allow > check ‘Full Control’ to assign full access rights.
- Click OK > confirm > exit Properties
There you go, we hope that this guide helped you extract your RAR files. If you have any questions or suggestions feel free to use the comments section below.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in October 2014 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Open any RAR file instantly with the RAR Opener free app
- 5 open-source file archivers to use
- How to Create and Extract RAR Files in Windows 10
Using a reliable password is paramount if you want to keep your data safe. There have been numerous data leak and data breach reports in […]
Reports are being circulated that Microsoft intends to drop the People bar feature in the Windows 10 19H1 update. The original report came from a […]