TGZ is a compressed archive file format with a TGZ or TAR.GZ extension. This is a file format that’s comparable to ZIP.
Although TGZ files are more prevalent on Mac and Unix platforms, some users might still need to open TGZ archives in Windows.
A TGZ archive can contain numerous files that you can open after extracting the archive.
Open TGZ files with these tools
Quickest solutions (we recommend)
WinZip is probably the most popular compression tool with over 1 billion active users. Besides compression, it also gives you the possibility to protect and backup your files.
Another great feature is file encryption, which enforces the security of your files.
WinZip opens all major file formats but it also can open TGZ files easily. Opening TGZ files is very simple:
- Save your TGZ file on your computer
- Launch WinZip, click File>Open and select the TGZ file that you saved on your PC previously
- Select all the files or folders inside the TGZ file you want to open
- Once all elements selected, click Unzip and select the location where you want the files to be saved
- Check your TGZ extracted files in the chosen location
2. File Viewer Plus
Also, you can easily extract any archive type files with a universal file viewer dedicated tool. We recommend FileViewer Plus 3 for the straightforward interface, great performance, and useful features.
Test all of these and much more by downloading the free fully-functional trial.
What software should I use to open TGZ files?
1. Open TGZ Files With 7-Zip
However, Windows 10 doesn’t include any built-in option for extracting TGZ archives. As such, you’ll need a third-party file archive utility to open a TGZ in Windows 10.
There are numerous archive utilities for Windows that you can extract TGZ files with. This is how you can open a TGZ with 7-Zip.
- First, open this website page and click Download for either the 32 or 64-bit 7-Zip version.
- You can check your system type by entering ‘system’ in Cortana’s search box and selecting About PC, which opens the window in the snapshot directly below.
- Open 7-Zip’s installer to add the software to Windows.
- Next, open the 7-Zip window in the snapshot directly below.
- Open the folder that includes your TGZ file within 7-Zip’s file browser.
- Select the TGZ file and press the Extract all button to open the Extract window shown directly below.
- A new folder path is already included in the Extract to text box. However, you can modify that path as required.
- Press the OK button to extract the TGZ file.
- Then double-click the extracted TGZ folder in 7-Zip to open it.
- After opening the initial archive, you’ll then need to double-click a TAR file, and perhaps another subfolder, to open its contents in 7-Zip.
- Then you can double-click the files in the archive to open them from 7-Zip.
2. Convert TGZ Files to the ZIP Format
Windows 10’s File Explorer does include an option for extracting ZIP files. As such, you can open the contents of a TGZ by converting it to the ZIP format first.
Then you can utilize the Extract all option to decompress the ZIP. This is how you can both convert a TGZ to ZIP and then extract it.
- Open this TGZ converter web tool in your browser.
- Press the From Computer button to select a TGZ archive to convert to ZIP.
- Press the Convert button to convert the archive.
- Click Download to save the new ZIP archive.
- Open the folder that includes the converted ZIP in File Explorer.
- Double-click the ZIP to open its Extract tab.
- Press the Extract all button to open the window directly below.
- Click Browse to select a folder path to extract the ZIP to.
- Then press the Extract button.
- Thereafter, double-click the ZIP’s extracted folder to open its contents.
So that’s how you can open TGZ archives with and without file archive utilities. Note that you can also utilize the Convertio web tool for converting RAR, JAR and LHA archive files to the ZIP format.
Check out this article for further details on some of the other open-source file archive utilities that you can extract and open TGZ and other archive formats with.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in April 2018 and has been since revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness. We want to be sure that our list has the best products that will fit your needs.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- How to open KEY files on Windows
- How to open Apple files on Windows PC
- How to open RTF files on PC with Google Chrome