Here’s how to open TGZ files in Windows 10
TGZ is a compressed archive file format with a TGZ or TAR.GZ extension. This is a file format that’s comparable to ZIP. Although TGZ files are more prevalent on Mac and Unix platforms, some users might still need to open TGZ archives in Windows. A TGZ archive can contain numerous files that you can open after extracting the archive.
Open TGZ files with these tools
Quickest solution (we recommend)
You can easily extract any archive type files with a universal file viewer dedicated tool. We recommend FileViewer Plus 2.0 for the straightforward interface, great performance, and useful features. Test all of these and much more by downloading the free fully-functional trial.
1. Open TGZ Files With 7-Zip
However, Windows 10 doesn’t include any built-in option for extracting TGZ archives. As such, you’ll need a third-party file archive utility to open a TGZ in Windows 10. There are numerous archive utilities for Windows that you can extract TGZ files with. This is how you can open a TGZ with 7-Zip.
- First, open this website page and click Download for either the 32 or 64-bit 7-Zip version.
- You can check your system type by entering ‘system’ in Cortana’s search box and selecting About PC, which opens the window in the snapshot directly below.
- Open 7-Zip’s installer to add the software to Windows.
- Next, open the 7-Zip window in the snapshot directly below.
- Open the folder that includes your TGZ file within 7-Zip’s file browser.
- Select the TGZ file and press the Extract all button to open the Extract window shown directly below.
- A new folder path is already included in the Extract to text box. However, you can modify that path as required.
- Press the OK button to extract the TGZ file.
- Then double-click the extracted TGZ folder in 7-Zip to open it.
- After opening the initial archive, you’ll then need to double-click a TAR file, and perhaps another subfolder, to open its contents in 7-Zip.
- Then you can double-click the files in the archive to open them from 7-Zip.
2. Convert TGZ Files to the ZIP Format
Windows 10’s File Explorer does include an option for extracting ZIP files. As such, you can open the contents of a TGZ by converting it to the ZIP format first. Then you can utilize the Extract all option to decompress the ZIP. This is how you can both convert a TGZ to ZIP and then extract it.
- Open this TGZ converter web tool in your browser.
- Press the From Computer button to select a TGZ archive to convert to ZIP.
- Press the Convert button to convert the archive.
- Click Download to save the new ZIP archive.
- Open the folder that includes the converted ZIP in File Explorer.
- Double-click the ZIP to open its Extract tab.
- Press the Extract all button to open the window directly below.
- Click Browse to select a folder path to extract the ZIP to.
- Then press the Extract button.
- Thereafter, double-click the ZIP’s extracted folder to open its contents.
So that’s how you can open TGZ archives with and without file archive utilities. Note that you can also utilize the Convertio web tool for converting RAR, JAR and LHA archive files to the ZIP format.
Check out this article for further details on some of the other open-source file archive utilities that you can extract and open TGZ and other archive formats with.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- How to open KEY files on Windows
- How to open Apple files on Windows PC
- How to open RTF files on PC with Google Chrome
Microsoft will stop supporting Windows 7 at the beginning of 2020. Then the software giant will stop releasing patch updates for Win 7. As such, […]
In the past, if you wanted to watch a movie at home, you had to use a clunky DVD player and the TV you had […]
It seems like 2019 is going to be a busy year for the Surface team and Microsoft. The tech giant has the most interesting update […]