- Many Facebook Messenger users complained that the app doesn't work on their desktop.
- One of the most intuitive solutions is to log back into Facebook Messenger.
- You should also try clearing the cache and temporary data and checking the app.
- Use a different web browser and disable add-ons by following our guide below.
Many Facebook Messenger users have complained that the app doesn’t work on their Windows 10 PCs for some reason, and they can’t use the video function or the microphone.
This is frustrating, especially if you want to use your PC quietly at your home office and easily communicate with your friends.
Don’t panic, because there are a few simple workarounds you can apply right now. Read on to find out which solution works best for you to use Facebook Messenger on your desktop again.
What do I do if Facebook Messenger is not working on my PC?
1. Sign in to Facebook Messenger again
- First, you have to log out of the app.
- Go to the top left corner of the app, and click on the Messenger icon.
- Navigate to File, and select Log out.
- Confirm that you want to log out of the app.
- Then you need to go back to the Messenger app and log in again.
One of the easiest and most intuitive solutions is to try logging out of the app and logging in again. So be sure to try it out now.
If the app still does not work on your desktop, you can continue with the next method.
2. Clear cache and temporary data
- Open your browser.
- Click the menu icon, and choose Clear browsing data.
- You can also access it by pressing the Ctrl + Shift + Del key on your keyboard.
- Choose the data you want to clear and click the Clear data button.
- Don’t clear the saved password and other data, as you will have to enter these details when accessing the desired websites again.
Clearing the browser cache will help you resolve any issues that occur due to corrupted data. If the issue persists, move to the next solution.
Also, if Facebook Messenger video call is not working, you can check out our helpful solutions and fix them with ease.
3. Disable add-ons
- Click the three stacked dots in the upper far right corner of your browser.
- Navigate down the list of options, and click More tools.
- Choose the Extensions option.
- A list of all the extensions on your browser will appear. Uncheck those marked as Enabled to disable them.
Third-party programs, including browser extensions and add-ons, can sometimes interfere with other programs and apps and cause Facebook Messenger not to work on your PC.
You need to disable the add-ons and extensions one by one, checking after each one to see if the issue is still there.
4. Use a different web browser
If clearing cookies and cache data from your browser, and disabling the add-ons didn’t fix the problem, the next best option may be to switch browsers.
Certain browsers can be blocked in a few countries to comply with the region’s local laws, and this can be a serious reason that prevents you from accessing the Messenger app.
Fortunately, there are alternative browsers that offer a built-in ad blocker and come with a filter option to unblock ads from any site you want.
So, if Facebook Messenger won’t load on your PC, our browser recommendation blocks all kinds of intrusive ads and loads pages faster.
Additionally, this browser offers a free VPN for enhanced privacy and security, built-in messenger apps and snapshot feature, video pop-out, and battery saver feature of the box.
Opera browser comes with its own build-in Messenger, allowing you to enjoy your Messenger conversations.
5. Reinstall Messenger
- Type Control Panel in the Search box, and select the app.
- Go to the Programs and Features section.
- Select Facebook Messenger from the list, and click the Uninstall button.
- Confirm that you want to uninstall the app, and close Control Panel.
- Download the Messenger app for desktop.
- Enter your username and password, and log in to your account.
The latest version of Facebook Messenger for desktop usually includes new features and fixes for known bugs, so installing it could be very helpful in this case.
Also, if the Facebook app is not working on Windows 10, you can take a closer look at our comprehensive guide and find the best solutions for you.
We hope that our recommendations helped you to fix the Facebook Messenger app, and you can now use it on your desktop.
For more suggestions or other questions, feel free to access the comments section below.