- It may happen that your built-in microphone disappeared from the device list due to various reasons.
- There is a probability for this issue to occur because of missing or broken drivers, so be sure to check that.
- Another scenario of this error is that your microphone driver has been disabled and hidden.
- If you want to reinstall your drivers but it doesn't show up in the list, you can as well use third-party tools.
Every user that faces an internal microphone has disappeared from the device list issue know how annoying it can be, but not to worry. There are practical methods to fix this.
First of all, you might want to check if your recording device is disabled or hidden from the device list, and this is why it’s not showing up.
One of the users of the Microsoft forum recently said that his built-in microphone driver has disappeared. When he reached for Device Manager, his microphone wasn’t listed. Fortunately, there’s a solution to this problem, and you’ll find it in this article.
How to fix microphone not showing up in Device Manager Windows 10?
1. Re-enable Your Microphone From Control Panel
Apparently, the problem occurred when the user connected his external USB microphone and disabled his built-in microphone as he thought that two microphones will prevent each other from working. But when he tried to re-enable the built-in mic, it was no longer present on the devices list.
Solving this problem is simple, you just need to make the microphone visible again, and here’s how to do it:
- Go to Control Panel
- Click on Sound and then go to Recording tab
- Right-click with your mouse somewhere on the windows and click on Show Disabled Devices
Your built-in microphone should show up, and you’ll be able to enable it again.
You can also solve this problem by reinstalling drivers for your built-in microphone. But I think that re-enabling it in the Control Panel is the simpler solution.
Additionally, you can find more exhaustive information about your microphone not working for Windows 10, and resolve this issue accordingly.
In case your built-in microphone is not working it might be due to drivers’ malfunctions in your PC. Hence, you should focus more on repairing them.
2. Reinstall Microphone Drivers
- Right click on Windows Search bar and select Device Manager
- Find Audio inputs and outputs and click on it.
- Right click on Microphone driver and press Uninstall Driver
- Select Uninstall driver option
- Restart your computer to reinstall the driver automatically.
Just in case you like this way more, we’re going to mention this method, as well. It may sound like a cliche, but reinstalling your microphone drivers really helps. But, since our microphone has disappeared, you can’t update or reinstall its driver traditionally, from Device Manager.
You’re going to need to download it from the manufacturer’s website, and then install it. After you reinstall your microphone’s driver, it should show up in the Device Manager and you’ll be able to record sounds as usual.
In addition, you can choose to ease your work by finding your audio drivers with specialized software that can do it rapidly for you.
Using software like DriverFix, you can resolve any driver issues automatically and without affecting the system. Plus, in this case, you will find the missing driver and reinstall it correctly to fix the problem in a few simple steps.
That’s all for today, if these solutions didn’t work for you, or you have some additional comments or suggestions (or maybe another solution for this problem), please write your thoughts in the comments section below.