How to fix Disk Cleanup issues on Windows 10, 8.1
Using disk cleanup on Windows 10, 8 operating systems should be a monthly job for you in order to free more space on your hard drive and keep your Windows 10, 8 operating system clean of unnecessary files that you won’t use.
There are some issues with disk cleanup on Windows 8, Windows 10especially when it freezes up at certain points in the cleaning process. Most likely it will freeze at the Windows 8, Windows 10 update stage in which it cannot delete the temporary files. So, we will see what we can do to fix the issues you’re having while using the Windows 10, Windows 8 disk cleanup process.
Disk cleanup won’t work on Windows 10, 8
- Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
- Run an SFC scan
- Delete Temp Files
- Use an alternative Disk Cleanup software
1. Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
Instructions on how to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter on Windows 8.1
- Press and hold the “Windows” logo key and the “W” key.
- Lets type “Troubleshooting” in the search box that appeared.
- Press “Enter” on the keyboard.
- Click (left click) on “View all” situated on the left side of the window you opened.
- Find in the list that appeared in the window “Windows update” and click (left click) on it.
- Click (left click) on “Advanced” situated in the lower side of the window.
- Click (left click) on “Run as Administrator”
- Click (left click) on “Next” situated in the lower side of the window.
- Follow the instructions that appear to complete the process .
- After doing these steps Reboot the computer and try the disk cleanup process again.
Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter on Windows 10
Launching the Update Troubleshooter on Windows 10 is much easier compared to Windows 8.1. All you need to do is go to Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshooter > select and run the troubleshooter.
2. Run an SFC scan
- Press and hold the “Windows” logo key and “X” button on the keyboard.
- From the menu that pops up click (left click) on “Command Prompt (Admin)”
- In the window that appeared type sfc /scannow
- Next you will need to follow the instructions that appear on the screen to finish the scan.
- Reboot the computer after the SFC scan finished.
- Try to run Disk cleanup for Windows 10,Windows 8 again.
3. Delete Temp Files
Manually deleting temporary files may help you fix the problem. Here are the steps to follow:
- Go to Start and type %temp% in the search menu > Hit Enter
- Right-click on the temp files > select Delete
- Restart your computer and run Disk Cleanup again to check if this solved the problem.
4. Use an alternative Disk Cleanup software
If the problem persists, try using an alternative software to clean and optimize your disk. For more information about the best disk utilities that you can use, check out the guides listed below:
- How to compress drive to save disk space in Windows 10
- 6 of the best PC repair and optimizer software for 2018
- Best Ways To Free up Hard Disk Space in Windows 10
These are the four ways you can fix disk cleanup on Windows 10, Windows 8. For any thoughts on the matter, you can use the comment section below.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in August 2014 and has been since updated for freshness, and accuracy.
Even if you live in one of the most developed countries in the world, where everything seems to work perfectly, computer privacy is often under […]
The thought of producing EDM (electronic dance music) may have crossed your mind several times especially if you are a content creator, budding music artist […]
No matter if you run a business or not, if you want store data, QNAP (Quality Network Appliance Provider) Systems is probably the answer you […]