- ExpressVPN has had an ongoing romance with streaming service Hulu for a long time now.
- But the process may not always be as seamless as you would expect. If you're using ExpressVPN, you might get a proxy error when trying to access Hulu. Here's how to solve it.
- Sometimes, Hulu might not work at all when VPN is enabled. Here's how to conciliate Hulu and VPN.
- VPNs are appreciated around the globe in regard to their unblocking and geo-restrictions bypassing capacities. Check out our Streaming VPN Hub to view content from anywhere.
A VPN is the best software you can use to access geo-restricted content through streaming media like Hulu and others.
However, even with this functionality, not all VPNs are able to access such content streaming sites as these sites block such unauthorized access in locations with such restrictions to their content.
Ideally, a VPN should help you access the sites while hiding your identity and location details, but when your VPN gets blocked, you need to find a way around it fast.
Despite being one of the best, ExpressVPN can still get blocked by Hulu, a concern that its users have raised before. But, before you dismiss it just yet, there are ways to fix the ExpressVPN blocked by Hulu problem.
When this happens, you may get an error message that says: You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy, OR, You’ll need to disable your anonymizer.
If you are getting the ExpressVPN blocked by Hulu error, here are solutions you can use to resolve it.
How to fix Hulu not working with ExpressVPN
- Preliminary checks
- Check your IP address
- Change your VPN
- Check your internet connection
- Connect to another ExpressVPN Location
- Disable your security software
- Change the protocol
- Manually configure DNS settings
- Manually configure proxy settings
- Flush the DNS
- Download the latest ExpressVPN version
1. Preliminary checks
If you get an error message saying: You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy or You’ll need to disable your anonymizer when trying to access Hulu, contact your VPN tech support team.
They should be able to provide for direct assistance before trying the solutions below.
2. Check your IP address
If your ExpressVPN service has been blocked by Hulu, check your IP address for information such as your city or region (country) next to the location you selected when you connected with ExpressVPN.
If it shows a location near you, it means you’re not connected to an ExpressVPN server location. Try and connect again.
3. Change your VPN
There are a handful of VPN services that still work with Hulu and other similar content platforms even today.
So, if ExpressVPN simply won’t work with Hulu, you might want to try a completely different tool. And why not go for the very best?
PIA offers its users top-notch protection and access to all manner of geo-restricted services. If your current VPN service is being blocked by Hulu, then you should consider switching to Private Internet Access.
Many users have mentioned that ExpressVPN causes a proxy error on Hulu, and if you are one of them, then the solution can be as simple as switching to a different service.
PIA is best equipped for streaming and has made a mission of eliminating online censorship.
And by all means, it has everything you could possibly think of to do so including lightning fast download speeds, servers located all over the world, best-in-class encryption for your traffic data and to top it all, a strict no-logs policy to guarantee that your navigation traces vanish into thin air.
What’s more, you can forget all about ISP throttling or lagging and buffering while streaming since PIA gives you nothing more and nothing less than unlimited bandwidth and secure VPN connections.
Apart from getting rid of the Hulu proxy error, PIA has many more benefits for its subscribers.
Let’s quickly look at its key features:
- Military-grade encryption
- More than 3000 servers located in over 45 countries
- Protection for up to 10 devices at once
- SOCKS5 Proxy support
- P2P support
- No-log policy
Private Internet Access
Private Internet Access will give you access to all the Hulu content you want. Enjoy a major discount right away!
4. Check your internet connection
Disconnect from ExpressVPN and try accessing a website the usual way to test if your Internet connection is working.
If you cannot access the internet even when disconnected from the VPN, check your internet connection.
However, if you can access it while disconnected from the VPN, try the next solution.
5. Try connecting to another ExpressVPN Location
If you can access the internet when disconnected from ExpressVPN, but cannot connect to a server location, choose a different server location from the list of locations.
- Click Choose Location to get the list of locations
- Click on the server location to connect
- Click ON button or double-click on the location
- Under the Recommended tab, check the list of top VPN picks to connect to
- Click the All tab to see the list of VPN server locations by region
- Click the Favorites tab to show the locations you saved as favorites. It also shows the three Recently Connected locations you connected to
- Go to the search bar by pressing CTRL+F, then type the name of your desired server location and double-click on it to connect
- Once you disconnect from the location you selected, you can go back to your smart location by clicking on Smart Location
6. Disable your security software
- Configure the program blocking the connection to allow ExpressVPN. You may need to change the security level from High to Medium (depending on the program) and grant exceptions to ExpressVPN or UDP ports 1194-1204, or set it to Trust ExpressVPN.
- If you have the option to reinstall the security software or program blocking ExpressVPN connection, install it after the VPN is already installed so that it allows the VPN to connect by first uninstalling ExpressVPN, then uninstall the program blocking the connection, install ExpressVPN again, then reinstall the program blocking the connection.
Try and disable your firewall or antivirus as these may block your VPN connection.
Check if you can connect again and try to access Hulu.
7. Change the protocol
- Go to the ExpressVPN window and click on the hamburger menu
- Select Options (while disconnected from the VPN)
- Find the Protocol tab then select the protocol you want to use
- Click OK
Your device connects to ExpressVPN servers using VPN protocols, the default one being the UDP protocol, which in some countries like the Middle East, is blocked. Change the protocol, which will also help you achieve faster connection speeds.
For better performance, choose the OpenVPN TCP first, then L2TP, and finally PPTP protocols in that order. ExpressVPN doesn’t recommend using PPTP as it offers minimal security.
8. Manually configure DNS settings
Your computer may not automatically connect to ExpressVPN DNS servers, so you need to configure it with ExpressVPN DNS servers’ IP addresses, manually.
Manually configuring your computer with other DNS server addresses helps you access Hulu and other blocked sites, and enjoy faster connection speeds.
Here’s how to do it in Windows:
Step 1: Open Network Connections settings
- Right-click Start and select Run
- Type ncpa.cpl and click OK
- Under the Network connections window, find your usual connection, either LAN or Wireless network connection.
- Right-click the connection and select Properties
Step 2: Set the DNS server addresses
- Double click Internet Protocol Version 4 (IPv4) or just Internet Protocol
- Select Use the following DNS server addresses
- Type these Google DNS server addresses
- Preferred DNS server 126.96.36.199
- Alternate DNS server 188.8.131.52
- If Google DNS is blocked, try the following:
- Neustar DNS Advantage (184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11) enter and press OK
- Level3 DNS (18.104.22.168 and 22.214.171.124) enter and press OK
Step 3: Set ExpressVPN DNS settings
For ExpressVPN 5.X/4.2/4.1/4.0
- Click the three dots and select
- Select Advanced tab
- Uncheck the Only use ExpressVPN DNS servers while connected to the VPN box and click OK
For ExpressVPN 3.X
- Go to Options
- Uncheck the Only use DNS servers set by the VPN option
Once you have configured your computer for ExpressVPN DNS servers, flush old DNS entries again as described in solution 7 above.
9. Manually configure proxy settings
- Click Tools
- Select Internet Options
- Go to the Connections tab
- Click LAN settings
- Uncheck all the options except Automatically detect settings and click OK for all
A proxy server is the go-between your computer and the internet and is used to hide your real location so you can access websites like Hulu, that would otherwise be blocked.
If you have internet connection issues, it is possible that it has been set to use a proxy server.
Ensure your browser is set to auto-detect proxy or no proxy, then use the instructions to manually configure proxy settings for your browser.
10. Flush the DNS
- Click Start
- Select All Apps
- Click Accessories
- Type CMD in the search box, and right-click Command Prompt, and select Run as administrator
- Type ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter. You should get a confirmation that says: Windows IP Configuration Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.
In some countries, DNS entries saved from your ISP on your computer may be intentionally wrong, as an additional method of blocking Hulu and other sites.
In this case, flush your DNS cache so your computer can automatically access ExpressVPN’s DNS for the proper/correct entries.
11. Download the latest ExpressVPN version
- Right-click Start and select Programs and Features
- Find ExpressVPN from the list of programs and select Uninstall
- In the Setup Wizard, click You’ll get a notification after a successful uninstall, so click Close to exit the wizard.
- If the ExpressVPN is still listed as available after uninstalling it, right-click Start and select Run
- Type ncpa.cpl and press Enter to open the Network Connections window
- Under Network Connections, right-click on the WAN Miniport labeled ExpressVPN
- Select Delete
- Click Start and select Settings
- Click Network & Internet
- Select VPN. If you see ExpressVPN as available, delete it
Uninstall the ExpressVPN app you’re running, then sign in to your ExpressVPN account and select Set up ExpressVPN. Find the latest version for your device and then connect again, then see if you can access Hulu.
Connect again to ExpressVPN and see if you can access Hulu.
There you go, you should be all set now.
Let us know if any of these solutions helped fix ExpressVPN blocked by Hulu error by leaving a comment in the section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
A VPN will allow you to access geo-restricted content, but it will not grant you free access to paid services. You will need a Hulu subscription to enjoy the service.
Yes, Hulu should work with ExpressVPN. However, if you’re encountering errors when accessing Hulu, try flushing your DNS and update ExpressVPN. Check out more troubleshooting steps in this handy guide.
We recommend Private Internet Access as the best VPN app to use with Hulu. Check out more streaming-optimized VPN clients that perfectly work with Hulu.