Microsoft recently offered users the solution to fix a major security-related bug in Windows 10 cumulative update KB4497936.
The company released this update to both Insiders in Slow and Release Preview rings, as well as non-Insiders who installed the Windows 10 May 2019 Update from MSDN.
The fixed various problems related to protection (Microarchitectural Data Sampling), Internet Explorer and text size, detected in previous updates.
These problems were detected by Insiders to make sure that the final build will be free of such problems. But KB4497936 also brought issues of its own and blocked the launch of Windows Defender Application Guard.
Fix Windows Defender error 0x800705b4
Launching Windows Defender resulted in error 0x800705b4 after installing KB4497936. This prevented users from using the application.
Windows Defender is an important security tool as it scans, detects and then removes malware from PCs.
This problem must be solved urgently otherwise it will cause major security concern among users.
However, you can fix this bug by logging in to administrative account and by following these steps;
- First, you must create new registry entries (a database used to store all data required for the functioning of Windows). A Registry backup helps to restore your device when something went wrong.
- Next, launch the Registry Editor by pressing Windows key + R and typing regedit.exe. Navigate to the following path in the Registry Editor:
- Right-click the right pane and head over to New > D-WORD (32-bit) Value. You need to do this twice and call the newly created items the following:
- Both new registry entries should be given the following value;
Once you’re done here, the next step is to close the Registry editor and restart the computer.
If all these steps are done correctly, Windows Defender will launch properly and the update will be installed.
To check if Windows 10 cumulative update KB4497936 is installed correctly on your device, click the Start menu and type winver. The OS build number with the update installed on the system is 18362.113.
Let us know in the comments below if this solution worked for you.
- Windows update standalone installer stuck at searching for updates [FIX]
- How to fix Windows 10 Update and Security tab not working