Here is how to permanently fix Outlook Meeting issues
Outlook is one of the best email client programs especially for businesses and has been one of the most important utilities of Microsoft’s popular Office Suite.
Its meetings feature helps you organize and manage important meetings easily by automating tasks like sending invitations and issuing reminders.
As a result, Outlook’s Meeting component is immensely popular and closely rivals its emailing feature. But it is not without its faults some of which can frustrate your efforts to get the best from the application.
Here are some of Outlook’s Meeting issues and how to resolve them:
- Outlook Meeting not showing in calendar
- Outlook Meeting not sending invites
- Outlook Meeting won’t open/cancel/delete invites
- Outlook Meeting attachment won’t open
- Updating the Outlook app on Android/iOS
Solutions to fix Outlook Meeting errors and bugs
Outlook Meeting Not Showing In Calendar
You will need to modify the way Outlook displays the meeting features if outlook meetings feature fail to show on the calendar after creating a meeting. Here is how:
Fix 1: Select the Calendars Category (Outlook 2010 Going up)
First, the scheduled meetings only show if the calendars category has been selected on the program’s left side.
Go to fix 2 if the categories are not visible.
Fix 2: Reset The Calendar View (Outlook 2010 Going up)
A custom view can also ‘hide’ your meetings after setup so you should try to restore the ‘factory’ view for the calendars folder.
Steps to follow:
- Open outlook
- Click the calendar tab (on the left bottom side)
- Click the View tab
- Click the view settings option
- Now click Reset Current View
- Press ok and check to see if the previously missing outlook meetings now show.
Outlook meeting not sending invites
According to Microsoft, this issue of outlook meeting not sending invites has already been solved in the most recent versions of outlook.
Those still using older outlook programs are also in luck since several fixes work. Here they are (For outlook 2007 and other legacy outlook versions):
Fix 1: Create Meetings Directly
Creating a meeting directly from the program will send invitations to your intended contacts promptly. Similarly, the easiest way to invite new guests is by adding them (their addresses) as recipients of the meeting notifications rather than by clicking invite/forward.
Fix 2: Update the Meetings Tool
Updating your Microsoft outlook program can also help to permanently get rid of this problem.
Steps (office 2010):
- Open outlook.
- Click file.
- Click help.
- Click Check for updates/Install updates
- Confirm the installation to complete the process.
For Outlook 2013 (and above):
- Open outlook.
- Click File then Office Account.
- Log in (if you had logged out) and look for the “Update Options” button under the prominent Product Information area.
- Click apply updates under the “Update Options” button. Wait for the system to complete updating.
Enabling Microsoft’s automatic updates to include Microsoft outlook make your work easier as the program will be continuously updating without your intervention.
Here is how:
- Open Windows Control Panel/settings.
- Click System and Security
- Select Windows Update
- Click Change Settings
- Select the option Give me the updates for other Microsoft’s products when updating Windows.
Fix 3: Recreate The Meeting
If you are yet to succeed, you can attempt to recreate the meeting using the normal steps on the calendar.
Outlook Meeting won’t open/cancel/delete invites
It’s important to cancel meetings previously created in Outlook to allow those invited to reallocate that time for other business.
But sometimes Outlook behaves as if it’s in freeze mode and will neither cancel nor open the meeting for cancellation.
Here are possible solutions if you’re facing this problem:
Fix 1: Log Into Your Account Using OWA (Outlook Web Access)/Office 365 portal
For some reasons, the option to cancel a meeting works when you are logged into your account using your Outlook Web Access/office 365 portal details.
Steps to follow:
- Log in there by going to the link you usually use.
- Go to calendar.
- Locate the meeting event from the screen.
- Right click and press cancel.
Important: Users are only able to cancel meetings in which they are registered as organizers so ensure you’re the meeting organizer.
Fix 2: Log Out Of Outlook Then Login
Sometimes the error is because of lingering Outlook performance/Sync issues. In this case, you should log out of your current Microsoft Outlook session then login again.
This refreshes your outlook session and could allow you to cancel a meeting.
Fix 3: Disable All Adds-in
This meetings issue may be as a result of a conflict with any of the installed Outlook adds-in. Try to disable all adds-in as explained below to see if you will succeed.
- Launch outlook.
- Go to file.
- Click options.
- Then click adds-in.
- Under “COM Add-Ins” click go.
- Uncheck the box against the add-in you are no longer using.
- Click OK.
- Restart Outlook.
Outlook Meeting attachment won’t open
In certain instances, your Outlook account may refuse to open attachments from a phone (Android and Apple) or PCs despite being correctly setup.
Now, this problem could have several root causes and has even sucked in Microsoft in an attempt to get a permanent resolution. We suggest you try these ideas.
Fix 1: Update Outlook
As I mentioned, Microsoft got involved in this issue and has released an update to address the same. So try to update your Outlook version as follows:
- Go to Microsoft Update center.
- Choose your Windows edition (Windows 7/8/8.1/10).
- Follow the instructions to automatically download and update your Outlook version. For instance, for Windows 7, Click install office updates as highlighted.
Then, those using older Outlook releases such as Ms Outlook 2013 will need to further modify the registry for attachments made in latest Outlook versions such as Outlook 2016 to open. Here is how:
- Back up the registry first
- Close all Microsoft Office programs.
- Start the Registry Editor:
- For Windows 10, click Start, and type regedit in the provided Search Windows Be sure to select regedit from the search results.
- For Windows 8 and Windows 8.1, move the mouse pointer to the screens upper-right corner then select Again enter regedit in the search box and finally select regedit in the results.
- In Windows 7 and Windows Vista, click Start then type regedit in the window Search programs and files. Select regedit.exe in the results.
- Locate and select the HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice15.0OutlookOptionsCalendar registry subkey.
- Point to New On the registry Edit menu and then choose DWORD Value.
- Type “AllowHTMLCalendarContent” then press Enter.
- Now right-click the AllowHTMLCalendarContent key and select Modify.
- In the provided Value data box, enter 1 then select OK.
- Close the Registry Editor.
- Try to open the meeting attachment.
— RELATED: 5 best calendar apps for Windows 10 users
Updating the Outlook app on Android/iOS
Microsoft also made an update to cater for the users unable to open attachments from the Outlook app on Android/iOS.
- Head over to Google Play store from the phone.
- Download the latest Microsoft Outlook or click update.
Fix 2: Log Out Of Outlook
An easier fix is to log out of the current Outlook session and then come back in.
On the same note, sometimes restarting Outlook helps so attempt this if you are not yet successful.
Fix 3: Change Microsoft Trust Center Settings
For some outlook editions including Outlook 2016, the fault is with wrong trust center settings.
You thus need to edit the Trust center settings for all Microsoft products you typically use to open your outlook meeting attachments including Microsoft Word and Excel:
- Open outlook.
- Go to File.
- Click Options.
- Select Trust Center.
- Now click the Trust Center Settings tab.
- Locate the Protected View option and do the following:
- Uncheck the option Enabled Protected View for files originating from the internet
- Check the option Enabled Protected View for files located in potentially unsafe locations
- Uncheck the option Enabled Protected View for Outlook attachments
Fix 4: Ensure the relevant opening programs have been installed
The applicable attachment opening application need to be available in your computer to access any attached files. For example, a PDF attachment won’t open if a relevant PDF reader is not installed.
Users thus need to confirm that the required file opening programs exist in their PCs.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- The best lunar calendar software for Windows 10
- How to fix Outlook cannot connect to Gmail
- Antivirus blocking email: How to fix it in less than 5 minutes
The official Telegram app for Windows 10 devices received an update that packs many improvements for groups. The update provides more control for users over […]
Adobe After Effects (AE) is one of the most advanced digital visual effects and motion graphics applications and has become an ever-present in most studios. […]