- League of Legends is the most popular MOBA game in the world.
- Players sometimes encounter certain errors, such as high latency, jitter, or packet loss.
- Packet loss refers to data sent to the internet server or sent to you by the server that never reaches its destination.
It’s enjoyed by players all around the world and is one of the best free-to-play games.
Depending on the game mode, you team up with 2 or 4 other players and attempt to destroy the enemy team’s base. It won’t be easy, considering that the opposing force has an equal number of players in their team.
Plus, there are waves of minions spawning regularly, trying to stop you. And did I mention the giant weaponized towers that are not as forgiving as you’d think?
Long story short, League of Legends is an amazing game and can provide you with endless hours of fun.
However, things can go sour if issues like high latency, jitter, or packet loss occur.
- Private Internet Access - Access content across the globe at the highest speed rate.
- NordVPN - Secure multiple devices and enjoy stable connections anywhere.
- SurfShark - Price convenient VPN service with all-rounded security features.
- CyberGhost - Connect to thousands of servers for persistent seamless browsing.
- ExpressVPN - Browse the web from multiple devices with increased security protocols.
What is packet loss in League of Legends?
It’s quite simple. When you connect to the Internet, you send and receive data packets. If some of the packets never reach their destination, we refer to it as packet loss.
For League of Legends, it’s data that you send to the server (or the server sends to you) and never makes it to its destination.
This phenomenon can lead to other issues that are more visible. For example, packet loss could cause rubberbanding, high latency, or even connection timeouts. And we all know how frustrating it can be when you’re leading a match and get kicked all of a sudden.
Or a severe lag storm lets you open and vulnerable, and you get ganked. Hey, it happens. Network congestion is usually to blame. The bad news is that often, you can’t do anything other than wait. And that’s also the good news.
Do I have packet loss?
It’s quite easy to tell, actually. The most obvious way to notice packet loss is if the game starts lagging. One of two times it’s because of packet loss. However, if you want to make sure, you can use our guide to perform a packet loss test.
The test will highlight the hop where packet loss occurs. Thus, you will get to know not only if you’re leaking packets, but also the approximate location of the leak. This piece of information can come in quite handy, and you’ll immediately see why.
How can I fix packet loss in League of Legends?
1. Use a VPN to fix packet loss in LoL
- Download Private Internet Access
- Install it on the target PC
- Launch it and connect to a server
- Run League of Legends
- Check if the packet loss issue still persists
Private Internet Access is a great VPN tool from Kape Technologies. It comes with an excellent all-round service, and you can use it for more than just packet loss. For instance, it can secure your connection, protect your privacy, and even unlock geo-restricted content.
Private Internet Access
Do you experience packet loss in League of Legends? Use PIA to avoid it.
However, note that fixing packet loss issues in League of Legends with a VPN doesn’t always work. It will only work if the packet leak occurs somewhere in the middle (your ISP), and not on your side, or on the League of Legends server.
2. Troubleshoot your connection to get rid of packet loss in League of legends
- Follow our packet loss guide to run a complete test
- Locate the troublesome hops on your connection
- Take the appropriate action depending on the location of the leak
The packet loss can occur in one of the following locations:
- Your home network (PC, router, cable, home line)
- ISP’s network
- Network distribution company (above the ISP)
- League of Legends server
Depending on the location of the leak, you can perform the following actions:
- Check your home network and its devices for faults and update/repair/replace them accordingly
- Contact your ISP if the issue is on their side of the connection
- Ask your ISP to contact the network distribution company
- Contact League of Legends’ support team
3. Use the Hextech Repair Tool
1. Download and install Hextech Repair Tool.
2. Launch it. You will see a menu with possible tasks you can assign to it. First, run a ping test.
3. Change your DNS settings to public or automatic.
4. Add firewall exceptions or disable firewall altogether.
5. Hit the Start button so that the tool performs the task you assigned to it.
The easiest method to fix packet loss in League of Legends is to use Hextech Repair Tool. With it, you can perform a ping test, change your DNS settings, as well as configure firewall exceptions.
All in all, even if you experience packet loss in League of Legends, it’s not as bad as it sounds. More often than not, the situation fixes itself. However, if it happens on a regular basis, you can use our suggested fixes above to get rid of it.
Just remember that using a VPN is not a guaranteed win for packet loss. It will only work if the packet loss occurs on your ISP’s side.
If packets leak on your network or on the League of Legends server, using a VPN won’t work.
We hope that you managed to fix the packet loss in your game. Let us know in the comments section below if you have any questions or encountered any problems following our solutions.
Your connection is not secure - websites you visit can find out your details:
- Your IP Address:
Companies can sell this information, alongside your location and internet provider name, and profit from it by serving targeted ads or monitoring your data usage.
We recommend Private Internet Access, a VPN with a no-log policy, open source code, ad blocking and much more; now 79% off.