It’s enjoyed by players all around the world and is one of the best free to play games.
Depending on the game mode, you team up with 2 or 4 other players and attempt to destroy the enemy team’s base. It won’t be easy, considering that the opposing force has an equal number of players in their team.
Plus, there are waves of minions spawning regularly, trying to stop you. And did I mention the giant weaponized towers that are not as forgiving as you’d think?
Long story short, League of Legends is an amazing game and can provide you with endless hours of fun.
However, things can go sour if issues like high latency, jitter, or packet loss occur.
What is packet loss in League of Legends?
It’s quite simple. When you connect to the Internet, you send and receive data packets. If some of the packets never reach their destination, we refer to it as packet loss.
For League of Legends, it’s data that you send to the server (or the server sends to you) and never makes it to its destination.
This phenomenon can lead to other issues that are more visible. For example, packet loss could cause rubberbanding, high latency, or even connection timeouts. And we all know how frustrating it can be when you’re leading a match and get kicked all of a sudden.
Or a severe lag storm lets you open and vulnerable, and you get ganked. Hey, it happens. Network congestion is usually to blame. The bad news is that often, you can’t do anything other than wait. And that’s also the good news.
How to check packet loss League of Legends?
It’s quite easy, actually. The most obvious way to notice packet loss is if the game starts lagging. One of two times it’s because of packet loss. However, if you want to make sure, you can use our guide to perform a packet loss test.
The test will highlight the hop where packet loss occurs. Thus, you will get to know not only if you’re leaking packets, but also the approximate location of the leak. This piece of information can come in quite handy, and you’ll immediately see why.
How to fix packet loss League of Legends?
1. Use a VPN
- Download Private Internet Access
- Install it on the target PC
- Launch it and connect to a server
- Run League of Legends
- Check if the packet loss issue still persists
Private Internet Access is a great VPN tool from Kape Technologies. It comes as an excellent all-round service, and you can use it for more than just packet loss. For instance, it can secure your connection, protect your privacy, and even unlock geo-restricted content.
Private Internet AccessDo you experience packet loss in League of Legends? Use PIA to avoid it.
However, note that fixing packet loss issues in League of Legends with a VPN doesn’t always work. It will only work if the packet leak occurs somewhere in the middle (your ISP), and not on your side, or on the League of Legends server.
2. Use the Hextech Repair Tool
- Download the Hextech Repair Tool
- Install it on your PC
- Launch it and run a ping test
- Switch your DNS to public or auto
- Add the firewall exceptions or disable the firewall
- Hit the Start button
3. Troubleshoot your connection manually
- Follow our packet loss guide to run a complete test
- Locate the troublesome hops on your connection
- Take the appropriate action depending on the location of the leak
The packet loss can occur in one of the following locations:
- Your home network (PC, router, cable, home line)
- ISP’s network
- Network distribution company (above the ISP)
- League of Legends server
Depending on the location of the leak, you can perform the following actions:
- Check your home network and its devices for faults and update/repair/replace them accordingly
- Contact your ISP if the issue is on their side of the connection
- Ask your ISP to contact the network distribution company
- Contact League of Legends‘ support team
League of Legends may leak packets, but it can be fixed
All in all, even if you experience packet loss in League of Legends, it’s not so bad as it sounds. More often than not, the situation fixes itself. However, if it happens on a regular basis, you can use our suggested fixes above to get rid of it.
Just remember that using a VPN is not a guaranteed win for packet loss. It will only work if the packet loss occurs on your ISP’s side. If packets leak on your network or on the League of Legends server, using a VPN won’t work.
FAQ: Learn more about League of Legends packet loss
- Will you get banned for using VPN in League of Legends?
No, League of Legends won’t ban you for using a VPN. Take a look at our best VPNs for League of Legends.
- Can you improve ping in League of Legends with VPN?
Yes, using a VPN can significantly improve your ping and overall gaming experience in League of Legends. Check out our best VPNs to improve gameplay and ping.
- How to fix packet loss League of Legends?
You can use a VPN such as PIA, troubleshoot the connection manually, or use the Hextech Repair Tool to fix your packet loss in League of Legends.