- Razer is a well-established peripherals provider that needs no introduction for gamers.
- However, the Razer Kraken USB mic and headphones tend to create occasional perturbances. Fix these issues in no time and resume your gameplay with these easy fixes.
- Check out more useful information about dealing with Gaming Headsets.
- Bookmark the Razer Troubleshooting Hub to always have it at hand.
The Razer Kraken headset is a pair of headphones designed for gaming. Kraken headphones include retractable microphones that players can usually utilize for multiplayer games.
However, some users have reported that the Razer Kraken USB mic is not working for them. The headphones might have great audio, but between the Razer headset not being detected and the razer mic not working it’s hard to keep the faith.
Fortunately, there are a few resolutions that might fix the Razer Kraken drivers and we have detailed them below.
What can I do if Razer Kraken is not detected?
- Open the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter
- Select the Razer Kraken Headset Microphone as Your Default Device
- Adjust the Headset Microphone Line in Volume
- Run Software in Administrator Mode
- Roll Back the Realtek Audio Driver
- Reinstall the Razer Kraken Driver
1. Open the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter
Hardware and Devices is a built-in Windows 10 troubleshooter that helps users repair peripheral devices. Thus, that troubleshooter might provide a fix for the Razer Kraken microphone.
You can open Hardware and Devices as follows:
- Open Run by pressing the Windows key + R keyboard shortcut.
- Enter Control Panel in Run, and click the OK button.
- Next, click Troubleshooting to open the Control Panel applet shown directly below.
- Click View all on the left of the Control Panel window.
- Click Hardware and Devices to open the window shown directly below.
- Click Advanced and select Apply repairs automatically.
- Click Next to initiate the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter. The troubleshooter might then detect issues and provide fixes for them.
2. Select the Razer Kraken Headset Microphone as Your Default Device
- Check that Razer Kraken’s microphone is both enabled and configured as your default device. To do so, right-click the speaker icon on the system tray and select Sounds to open the window shown directly below.
- Select the Recording tab on the Sound window.
- Right-click an empty space within the Recording tab and select Show Disabled Devices.
- Right-click the Razer Kraken Headset Microphone and select the Enable option.
- Then right-click Headset Microphone and select Set as Default Device.
- Press the Apply button, and click OK to close the window.
3. Adjust the Headset Microphone Line in Volume
- Check the Razer Kraken microphone volume is configured to the highest value. To do that, right-click the speaker icon within the system tray and select Sounds.
- Then select the Recording tab, right-click your Razer Kraken Headset Microphone and select the Properties option.
- Select the Levels tab on the Headset Microphone window.
- Drag the Line in volume bar to the far right (100%) if required.
- In addition, click the Advanced tab.
- Select the lowest sample rate on the Default Format drop-down menu, which might be 2 channel, 16 bit, 44100 Hz (CD Quality).
- Click the Apply and OK buttons.
4. Run Software in Administrator Mode
Run all the games, and other software, you utilize the Kraken microphone for in admin mode. That will ensure the software can access all connected peripherals.
You can run programs in admin mode by right-clicking their shortcut or .exe icons and selecting Run as administrator. Alternatively, select the Run this program as an administrator option as follows.
- Right-click the program’s shortcut or .exe icon and select Properties.
- Click the Compatibility tab to open the options in the snapshot below.
- Select the Run this program as an administrator setting.
- Then click Apply > OK to apply the new option.
5. Roll Back the Realtek Audio Driver
Updating drivers often fixes peripherals. Yet, some Razer Kraken users have stated that rolling back Realtek audio driver updates fixed their headphones’ microphones.
So that resolution might work for you too if you can select the Roll Back Driver option for Realtek Digital Output. This is how you can roll back the Realtek Digital Output driver.
- Open the Win + X menu with its Windows key + X hotkey.
- Click Device Manager on the Win + X menu.
- Double-click Audio inputs and outputs to expand that device category.
- Right-click Realtek Digital Output and select Properties.
- Click the Driver tab shown directly below.
- Then press the Roll Back Driver button if it isn’t grayed out.
6. Reinstall the Razer Kraken Drivers
- If you can’t roll back the Realtek driver, try reinstalling the Razer Kraken driver instead. To reinstall the headphones’ driver, open the Device Manager window.
- Expand the Audio inputs and outputs device category.
- Then right-click your Kraken headphones and select Uninstall device.
- Press the Uninstall button on the dialog box window that opens.
- Then shut down Windows, and restart your desktop or laptop with the Kraken headphones connected. That will reinstall the Razer Kraken driver.
If the above resolutions don’t fix your Razer Kraken microphone, a hardware repair might be required.
You can return your Razer headphones to the manufacturer to repair or replace the headset if it’s still within a warranty period. Razer headsets have a one-year warranty support period.
Let us know how it worked for you in the comments section below.
FAQ: Learn more about Razer Kraken issues
- How do I reinstall my Razer Kraken driver?
Open the Device Manager and expand the Audio inputs and outputs option. Then right-click your Kraken headphones and select Uninstall device. Finally, restart your PC with the Kraken headphones connected which will reinstall the Razer Kraken driver.
- How do I get my Razer Kraken to work on my PC?
Right-click the speaker icon on the system tray and go to Sounds -> Recording tab -> Show Disabled Devices. Right-click the Razer Kraken Headset Microphone and select the Enable option, then Set as Default Device. Press the Apply button to validate the changes.
- Why is my Razer Kraken so quiet?
Right-click the speaker icon on the system tray and go to Sounds -> Recording tab -> Razer Kraken Headset Microphone -> Properties -> Levels. Drag the Line in volume bar to 100%. Next, go to the Advanced tab ->Default Format (16 bit, 44100 Hz CD Quality). Press Apply to validate.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in September 2018 and has been since revamped and updated in May 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.