‘Something bad happened. Unknown layout specified in manifest’ [FIX]
During the past few days, users reported a new problem occurred while Windows Store was accessed. Apparently, without any particular reasons, the Windows Store app cannot be used anymore. When experiencing this issue you cannot download, update or install any apps. The alert that’s received says that ‘Something bad happened. Unknown layout specified in manifest’.
Microsoft officially announced that their tech team is already trying to find what’s causing this error message and how to fix it. Most likely, an update will be soon released in order to address this new Windows Store bugs.
But, until then, we will show you some troubleshooting solutions that may fix the ‘Something bad happened. Unknown layout specified in manifest’ Windows Store error.
How to fix ‘Something bad happened. Unknown layout specified in manifest’ Windows Store error
- Solution 1 – Reset the Store.
- Solution 2 – Initiate System File Checker.
- Solution 3 – Run Microsoft Safety Scanner.
- Solution 4 – Set Region and Language correctly.
Solution 1 — Reset the Windows Store app
Similar with other Windows Store malfunctions, this error can be caused by a system problem within the Store platform. So, you need to reset the app in order to get a fresh start. This process should fix the error along with other bugs or malfunctions that occurred on the Store. The reset can be applied by following:
- Press Win+I keyboard hotkeys for bringing up System Settings.
- From there, click on Display.
- From the left panel select .
- Scroll and find the Store entry.
- Click on it and select Advanced options.
- Click on the Reset button from the next window.
- Restart your Windows 10 system in the end.
Solution 2 — Initiate System File Checker
Another way in which you can fix the errors related with Windows Store is by running the Windows 10 default troubleshooter dubbed as System File Checker. This troubleshooting solution runs a system scan which will look for corrupted files and other similar Windows 10 issues. Afterwards, the troubleshooter will fix the problems automatically. And all you need to do is to apply these steps:
- On your computer open an elevated command prompt window: right-click on the Windows start icon and from the list that will be displayed pick ‘Command Prompt (Admin)’.
- Next, in the cmd window type sfc /scannow.
- Just wait while the scan is running – it might take a while depending on the amount of files which are stored on your device.
- In the end, restart your computer and try to use the Store.
For more information on the best tools that you can use to fix corrupted files, check out this article.
Solution 3 — Run Microsoft Safety Scanner
You can receive the ‘Something bad happened. Unknown layout specified in manifest’ error message if malware was somehow installed on your computer. So, you should initiate a security scan for making sure that your Windows 10 system is still protected.
By default, you can download the Microsoft Safety Scanner (you can get the software from this page) which can help you detect if there are inappropriate files installed on your PC. Additionally, you should also install a dedicated antivirus or antimalware program and perform a full scan for all the files that are currently stored on your device.
Solution 4 — Set Region and Language correctly
Apparently, if the region and language isn’t set correctly the Windows Store will not work properly and you can receive the ‘Something bad happened. Unknown layout specified in manifest’ alert message. So, verify these settings and make sure that everything is set how it should:
- Open System Settings by pressing the Win+I hotkeys.
- From there click on Time & Language.
- From the left panel of this window select Region & language.
- Now, from there you can set everything accordingly.
- Hint: you can try to change your current region to UK as this might fix the Windows Store problems according to some users who managed to do the very same thing.
As already pointed out, Microsoft knows about this new Windows Store problem which means that a possible system update might be developed as we speak.
Don’t forget to share your own experience on the troubleshooting method that worked in your particular situation. Use the comment section below to contact us.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- ‘This product needs to be installed on your internal hard drive’ Windows Store error
- Windows Store app download stuck? Here’s how to fix it in 7 steps
- New Windows Store update introduces Fluent Design to Windows 10 users
Installing Android drivers on a PC should be a walk in a park. You connect your handset with the PC via the USB cable and, […]
Do you have NOX installed on your PC? Are you experiencing any form of lag while running it? This article is specially designed for you! […]
Do you have ExpressVPN installed on your PC? Do you encounter connection problems after an update? This guide will help you out. Here, we’ll be […]