Here’s how to fix Windows Defender error 0x8000404
Updating Windows Defender can sometimes be quite a tricky task. There are various errors that can block the update process, but fortunately most of them can be fixed using quick workarounds.
I have tried three times to install the Virus & Spyware updates, the defination updates couldn’t be installed, the error code 0x8000404 – what do I have to do?
There are several possible causes for this error: another security program creates conflicts and blocks Windows Defender updates, some system files are corrupt or missing, the Internet connection in unstable, and more.
Fix Windows Defender error 0x8000404
We are going to list several possible solutions to fix this error code. After you follow the troubleshooting steps of each workaround, try to update Windows Defender. If it doesn’t work, go to the next solution.
1. Temporarily disable any other security software you are running, and try to update Windows Defender.
2. Run a SFC scan:
- Go to Start > type cmd in the Search box > right-click Command Prompt > click Run as administrator
- At the command prompt, type the sfc /scannow command > press Enter
- Try to update Windows Defender again.
3. Perform a Clean Boot
- Type System Configuration in the search menu > open the first result
- Go to the Services tab > select the Hide all Microsoft services check box > click Disable all
- Go to the Startup tab > click Open Task Manager
- In Task Manager > select each startup item > click Disable
- Close the Task Manager
- Go back to the Startup tab > click OK > restart the computer.
4. Delete any suspicious programs
Go to Control Panel > open Uninstall a program > delete any suspicious program.
If you’ve come across other workarounds to fix Windows Defender error 0x8000404, list the troubleshooting steps in the comment section below.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- Fix: Windows Defender error 577
- Fix: Windows Defender constantly asks to scan after Windows 10 Anniversary Update
- Fix: Windows Defender “An unexpected problem occurred” error
Live streaming is quickly becoming one of the most important ways people use to broadcast themselves online. People use live streaming to cover a wide […]
It isn’t every day that you come across a corrupted memory dump file But when you do, you will rue your luck you did. That […]