Windows Media Player disappeared after update? Here’s how to get it back
It is already known that the upcoming Windows 10 Fall Creators Update will get rid of some of the oldest programs in the Windows ecosystem, such as Paint. However, it appears that list might be longer than we expected. Windows Insiders are already testing the Fall Creators Update and, after receiving the KB4046355 update, discovered that Windows Media Player is no longer available.
After the update the WMP is completely gone, the C:Program Files (x86)Windows Media Player” folder only has a “wmp.dll” file. Currently on build 16299.0.
Right now, we do not have any official information from Microsoft but we are waiting for an announcement. However, it is not hard to understand why they decided to remove it, since there are many other alternatives including third-party players.
How to reinstall Windows Media Player
Windows Media Player users might have been scared by the news, but it appears that Windows Media Player is not gone forever. While it is true that it will not come installed by default in the upcoming Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, there is a way to get it on your computer once again.
Here is what you have to do:
- Go to the Settings app.
- Open Apps > Apps & features and then select “manage optional features”
- Once you are there, select the “Add a feature” option.
- Scroll down all the way to the bottom of the screen and you should find Windows Media Player.
- The program will be listed as an optional feature. Select it and click the install button.
- In less than a minute, the installation should be complete and you will be able to use Windows Media Player once again on your computer.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Download Kodi Media Player on Windows 10
- Andromeda turns Windows 10 into a cross-platform OS
- Best software for editing subtitles for Windows
Emails are wonderful as they enable us to discuss things in detail. While it’s true chatting platforms help us discuss things in real time, that […]
Folks, there’s a new Windows 10 Insider Preview build in town. This release packs many interesting new features and bug fixes, but as always, it […]
In the past, DJs used to carry large crates of vinyl records and spent hours at the records store choosing their music one vinyl at […]