- The GLFW error 65542 WGL the driver does not appear to support OpenGL is encountered when you try to launch Minecraft.
- It's generally missing DLL files or outdated and incompatible drivers behind the issue.
- To fix it, manually download the required DLL file and add it to the Java folder, or try the other methods here.
Minecraft is one of the popular games in the community and offers a refreshing concept. However, it, too, is prone to errors. The most common of these is the GLFW error 65542 WGL when opening the Minecraft launcher.
This error is primarily encountered in the Java edition of the game and is followed by the error message GLFW error 65542: WGL: The driver does not appear to support OpenGL on Minecraft.
Identifying the underlying cause here is tricky, so we recommend you execute the fixes in the listed sequence for a quick solution to GLFW error 65542 WGL on Minecraft.
What does GLFW error 65542 WGL the driver does not appear to support OpenGL mean?
The GLFW error 65542 WGL generally arises when the OpenGL library is missing or there’s a problem with the graphics driver. The installed driver could be outdated, or corrupt, or there might be a bug in the installed version.
Besides, incompatibility or issues with the game itself could also lead to GLFW error 65542 WGL on Minecraft Java. So, verify your computer meets the minimum requirements for Minecraft before downloading the game.
Do you need OpenGL for Minecraft?
No, you don’t necessarily need OpenGL for Minecraft. Though having it will certainly boost the graphics and enhance the whole gaming experience.
In case you are using OpenGL, make sure the graphics card in use supports it to avoid running into errors.
How do I fix GLFW error 65542 WGL when launching Minecraft?
- What does GLFW error 65542 WGL the driver does not appear to support OpenGL mean?
- Do you need OpenGL for Minecraft?
- How do I fix GLFW error 65542 WGL when launching Minecraft?
- 1. Download the OpenGL32.DLL file
- 2. Update the graphics driver
- 3. Uninstall conflicting drivers
- How do I fix OpenGL errors in Minecraft?
- How do I fix the graphics driver error in Minecraft?
1. Download the OpenGL32.DLL file
If it’s the missing OpenGL.dll file behind the error, you would have to download it to fix GLFW 65542 error.
In any case, you can perform this task by using PC repairing software that will replace any missing DLL files in minutes.
With Restoro you can scan your computer and detect missing system files, Windows errors, BSoD issues, and so on.
Restoro is a reliable third-party DLL fixer which uses a built-in automated system and an online library full of functional DLLs to replace and repair any files that might be corrupted or damaged on your PC.
All you need to do to resolve your PC’s problems is to launch it, and simply follow the on-screen instructions to start the process, as everything else is covered by the software’s automated processes.
This is how you can fix registry errors using Restoro:
- Download and install Restoro.
- Launch the software.
- Wait for it to scan your PC for any stability issues and possible malware.
- Press Start Repair.
- Restart your PC for all the changes to take effect.
After this process is completed your PC will be as good as new, and you will no longer have to deal with BSoD errors, slow response times, or other similar issues.
Disclaimer: This program needs to be upgraded from the free version in order to perform some specific actions.
2. Update the graphics driver
An outdated graphics driver is just as likely to be responsible for GLFW error 65542 WGL in Minecraft on the Nvidia graphics card, and updating it has helped fix the problem for many users. With each update, manufacturers release patches for previously known bugs along with several other improvements.
If the Device Manager method doesn’t work, you can manually install the latest driver version in Windows to fix the GLFW error 65542 WGL on Intel HD Graphics.
- Press Windows + S to launch the Search menu, enter Device Manager in the text field at the top, and click on the relevant search result.
2. Double-click on the Display adapters entry here.
3. Now, right-click on the installed graphics card, and select Update driver from the context menu.
Some PC issues are hard to tackle, especially when it comes to corrupted repositories or missing Windows files. If you are having troubles fixing an error, your system may be partially broken.
We recommend installing Restoro, a tool that will scan your machine and identify what the fault is.
Click here to download and start repairing.
4. Select Search automatically for drivers from the two options here.
5. Wait for Windows to install the best available driver for the graphics adapter.
There is a more automated method you can utilize to update drivers on your system within a few clicks.
DriverFix software will entirely scan the system for outdated or broken drivers and simply choose which driver you need to update.
Therefore, you can update the graphic drivers accordingly and even create a restore point for any drivers if you need to restore them.
3. Uninstall conflicting drivers
- Press Windows + R to launch the Run command, enter appwiz.cpl in the text field, and either click OK or hit Enter to launch Programs and Features.
- Now, locate any entry here by the name DisplayLink, select it, and click on Uninstall.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
The DisplayLink USB Graphics Software has been found to conflict with the Java-based edition of Minecraft, and it’s recommended that you uninstall it from the PC.
Make sure to restart the computer for the changes to fully come into effect and the GLFW error 65542 TL Launcher should be fixed.
How do I fix OpenGL errors in Minecraft?
OpenGL errors generally have to do with problematic or incompatible drivers and can prevent you from launching games. Though in some cases, it was misconfigured power settings that led to the game not getting the required power.
No matter the underlying cause, you can always easily fix OpenGL errors in Windows, be it with Minecraft or any other game.
How do I fix the graphics driver error in Minecraft?
After updating the game, many users reported getting the Driver outdated error message, which lists that your graphics drivers have a new update available.
In this case, it’s best to update the graphics driver on your device. Do not forget to check the manufacturer’s website as well for the latest version, because oftentimes, the updates are not released through Windows Update but are directly uploaded to the OEM’s website.
If there are no updates available, check for compatibility issues. And in case everything seems fine, you can safely ignore the error message.
By now, you know all the solutions for GLFW error 65542 WGL when opening Minecraft in Windows 7, 10, and 11. Also, find out how to fix common Minecraft errors on your PC.
Tell us which fix worked and your review of Minecraft in the comments section below.