Here’s How to Fix OpenGL Problems in Windows 10
4 solutions to fix OpenGL issues on Windows 10
- Remove display drivers and reinstall the latest version
- Install the latest display drivers in Compatibility mode
- Run SFC
- Adjust your PC for best performance
Windows 10 is an excellent operating system and despite all the major improvements it received, it still comes with some issues and bugs.
Users have reported OpenGL problems, FPS lag and graphic card issues as one of them. However, there are a few things that you can do in order to fix these issues.
These issues are caused in most cases by lack of optimization of drivers for Windows 10. This means that if you ran your favorite games smoothly in previous versions of Windows, you might experience some graphic cards issues in Windows 10. So, how can you fix this?
How can I fix OpenGL errors on Windows 10?
Solution 1 – Remove display drivers and reinstall the latest version
- In order to remove the display drivers go to the Device Manager.
- Find Display Adapters and click them to reveal the list of installed drivers.
- Now you need to find the graphics card driver from the list, in most cases it will be the only item in the list, right click it, and the press Uninstall.
- After the uninstall process is complete, you need to restart your computer.
- Go to your graphic card manufacturer and find the latest drivers for your graphic card model.
- Install the drivers, and see if the issue still persists.
Updating drivers manually puts your PC to a risk, so we recommend you to download Tweakbit’s Driver Updater (approved by Microsoft and Norton) to do it automatically. Thus you will keep your system away from damage by downloading and installing the wrong driver versions.
Disclaimer: Some functions of this tool are not free
Solution 2 – Install the latest display drivers in Compatibility mode
- Find the name of the model of your graphic card and download the latest drivers from manufacturer’s website.
- When download is completed, find the driver setup file.
- Right click the setup file and choose Properties from the menu.
- Go over to the Compatibility tab.
- While you’re at Compatibility tab, find and check “Run this program in Compatibility mode” and select the operating system you want from the drop down list.
- Click OK and run the setup file.
Solution 3 – Run SFC
If some of the system files that your game is using are missing or corrupted, you’re going to experience quite a few issues and errors, including OpenGL errors.
You can quickly fix this problem by using the System File Checker tool. To do this, open Command Prompt as an administrator and enter the sfc /scannnow command.
Hit Enter and wait until your system has finished the scanning process. Reboot your machine and check if the OpenGL problem persists.
Solution 4 – Adjust your PC for best performance
If your computer doesn’t direct enough resources to power your game, you may experience OpenGL issues, among other problems. So, make sure that your settings are adjusted for the best possible game performance.
- Go to Settings > select PC Info
- Go to Advanced system settings
- Select the Advanced tab > Performance > click on Settings
- Check Adjust for best performance
As you can see, most of FPS lag, graphic card issues and OpenGL problems in Windows 10 are caused by driver incompatibility with Windows 10.
If these solutions didn’t fix your problems, you’ll have to wait for hardware manufactures to release new sets of drivers optimized for Windows 10.
If you have any other Windows 10-related issues you can check for the solution in our Windows 10 Fix section.
RELATED GUIDES TO CHECK OUT:
- Fix: Windows Defender Closes Games in Windows 10
- Fix: Windows 10 Game bar not opening
- Full Fix: Steam Games Fail to Launch on Windows 10, 8.1, 7
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in August 2015 and has been since updated for freshness, and accuracy.
Installing Android drivers on a PC should be a walk in a park. You connect your handset with the PC via the USB cable and, […]
Do you have NOX installed on your PC? Are you experiencing any form of lag while running it? This article is specially designed for you! […]
Do you have ExpressVPN installed on your PC? Do you encounter connection problems after an update? This guide will help you out. Here, we’ll be […]