FIX: Hard Disk Disappeared After Update
Why is my hard drive not showing up in Windows 10?
- Run MiniTool Partition Wizard
- Run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter
- Initialize your disk
- Connect your hard drive to a different USB port
- Update your drivers
Well, we are in a bit of a pickle: if you update your operating system to the latest Windows 10 version, you might lose the connection to one or more partitions in your system. But you don’t need to worry because we can fix this issue in the shortest time possible and bring back your Hard Disk if it disappeared after the update to the latest OS version.
Even if you update to the latest build in Windows 10 version, there are still some bugs that needs fixing and one of them being the Hard Disk disappearing issue. But with the help of an application you will manage to find your Hard Disk partitions again and continue working in Windows 10 as usual.
Hard Disk disappeared from my computer
1. Run MiniTool Partition Wizard
- Left click or tap on the link posted below in order to download the application necessary for this tutorial.
- Left click or tap here to go to MiniTool Partition Wizard official webpage
- From the pop up that shows, select the “Save File” feature.
- Now after the download has finished, go to the directory where it was downloaded .
- Double click on the executable file in order to start the installation process.
- Left click or tap on the “Yes” button if you are prompt by a user account control message telling you to allow access.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to finish the installation.
- Now double click or tap on the executable file of the “MiniTool Partition Wizard Free” application.
- Once you open the application, your partitions should appear on the screen.
- Now change the letter assigned to them using this application.
- Save the changes and close the application.
- Reboot your Windows 10 operating system.
- After the system starts you can check if you have your hard disk visible again and ready to use.
2. Run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter
If you don’t want to download a third-party tool on your computer, you can also try to run the built-in hardware troubleshooter. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshooter > locate and run the troubleshooter.
3. Initialize your disk
- Go to Start > type ‘disk management’ > double click on the first result to open Disk Management (Create and format disk partitions)
- A list of all your hard drives and partitions should appear on the screen. If you find a disk listed as Disk 1 or Disk 5 (or other similar names), you’ll need to localize it.
- Right-click on that partition > select Initialize Disk
- Select the GUID Partition Table (GPT) option > hit OK.
- The partition should now be listed as Basic and Online but won’t have any unallocated space. To fix this minor issue, right-click on the the box > click on New simple volume…
- Click Next, and assign a drive letter and then format your new drive. Choose the NTFS file system, and run a quick format.
4. Connect your hard drive to a different USB port
External hard drives may disappear because of faulty USB ports. You can quickly fix this issue by connecting your hard drive to different port.
5. Update your drivers
Another common reason why your hard drive disappeared after updating your Windows 10 computer is due to missing or incompatible drivers. To fix this problem, you need to install the latest driver version.
Open Device Manager, locate your hard drive on the list of devices , right-click on it and select Update driver. Select ‘Search automatically for updated driver software’ and wait until Windows 10 installs the latest drivers. Reboot your computer and check of the hard drive is now visible on your machine.
There you have a few simple ways to bring our Hard Disk back if it disappeared after you made the updated your Windows 10 system. If you have any additional questions, we remain at your disposal (you can contact us by using the comment section below).
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Best Ways To Free up Hard Disk Space in Windows 10
- Fix: Internal hard drive won’t show up in Windows 10
- Full Fix: Windows 10 Does Not Recognize Portable Hard Drive
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in February 2015 and has been since updated for freshness, and accuracy.
Although Windows Media Player is becoming increasingly outdated, quite a few users still utilize it for playing videos and audio. However, the reality struck when […]
As a gamer, you never want anything within your computer or gaming device to get in the way of you and the gaming experience. It […]
Twitch TV is a popular online platform that helps to connect the game streamers with their audience. Previously, game streaming was only restricted to YouTube. […]