- When you have problems with a slow HBO Max, you should consider restarting, since a simple reboot acts as a mini reset for your devices.
- Bad internet connection, bugs on your device or browser, and a corrupted installation file are the main reasons why HBO Max may be slow.
- It is a best practice to try streaming a title on a different device to rule out faults on your primary streaming device.
HBO Max has been available for almost one year. The WarnerMedia-operated OTP streaming service allows customers to view episodes and films from Summit Entertainment, WarnerMedia, 20th Century Studios, Universal Pictures, and some third-party publishers.
The site now has many new and old programs, including new releases such as Space Jam: A New Legacy, The Matrix 4, Dune, and prior HBO series such as Chernobyl and Succession.
Even with such an extensive content catalog, HBO Max is not without its flaws. Many unsatisfied users have reported that movies do not stream properly and often buffer during lengthy durations of movie viewing.
We explore in this article all issues regarding why your HBO Max is slow.
If a VPN causes your lagging issues, our guide on fixes for HBO Max not working with VPN will come in handy.
What are the causes for lag on HBO Max?
There could be multiple reasons why your HBO Max becomes slow. Sometimes, it could be issues beyond you, and other times it is caused by some things you may be able to correct.
Here are a few common culprits:
- Low data bandwidth
- Bad internet connection
- Bugs on your device or browser
- Corrupted installation files
- Outdated software
Some of the slow devices that users have reported include Roku, Firestick, and Chromecast. But, whatever the case may be, the following tips will come in handy.
What other issues have been reported with HBO Max?
- HBO Max slow loading: When this issue happens, the most likely cause is your cache, so you need to clear it, or restart your device.
- HBO Max slow streaming: Slow Internet connection often causes this problem, so make sure that your connection is stable.
- HBO Max slow on Samsung TV: This issue has been reported on all models, and not just Samsung, but if this problem happens, a quick restart is the best way to fix it.
How can I fix HBO Max when it is slow?
1. Restart the streaming device
- Click on the Start menu, and click on the Power button.
- From the options select Restart and wait for your computer to turn off and come back on.
- On your home screen click on the settings icon.
- Scroll down and click on My Fire TV.
- Then click on Restart in the central pane.
If HBO Max is slow on Firestick, restarting the device is one method that might help you fix the problem.
- Press the Home button on your remote.
- Navigate to Settings.
- Select System restart.
- Now choose Restart.
In case HBO Max slow on Roku, these steps should help you restart your device and hopefully fix the problem.
- Open Google Home app.
- Select your device.
- Tap the Gear icon.
- Choose More settings and select Reboot.
Restarting your device can help you if HBO Max slow on Chromecast, so be sure to try it.
Clashing processes on the streaming device or phone may potentially create problems with HBO Max. To ensure that this is not the case, reboot the device from which you’re streaming HBO Max.
Note that your restart process will be specific to your device.
2. Check Internet connection and speed
You stream movies only at the speed that your connection allows. So, if you’re having trouble buffering when viewing on HBO Max, you should make sure the internet connection is good enough and that you have a good Wi-Fi signal.
Make sure your streaming device is near your Wi-Fi router. For example, you may bring the streaming device close to the router to download the title, then return to your original location to watch it.
To view HD videos on HBO Max, you’ll need a minimum download connection of 5 Mbps. We suggest utilizing a faster internet connection to reduce pauses caused by multiple device usage and network fluctuations.
3. Ensure HBO Max servers are not down
- Visit the Downtector page to determine if the servers are down.
- Scroll down to the graph to see HBO Max outages reports within 24 hours.
- Report any problem you may have with HBO may by clicking either Video Streaming, App, or Website.
Like many other services, HBO Max might have issues with its servers. For example, you may be hindered from watching videos from HBO Max smoothly if the streaming service’s servers are under maintenance. Video playing may begin to buffer and become sluggish.
It’s critical to confirm whether the company’s servers are offline. Aside from maintenance and other glitches, HBO Max servers may experience disruptions if the service is debuting a new program or show and there is a user overload.
4. Watch a different show
When you see visual stutters and delays when viewing an HBO Max series, try returning to your media library and playing any random title.
This allows you to determine if the issue affects the whole platform or is limited to certain TV series and movies.Proceed to an alternative solution if you discover that titles are not slow or laggy.
5. Confirm that your device is supported
- Visit the official HBO Max page to see if your device is supported.
- Under the Choose a device type menu, select your device type.
- Click on the plus (+) sign to expand any option that corresponds with your device and see if it is compatible.
Another explanation why your HBO Max continues to be slow is because of unsupported devices. The HBO Max platform is compatible with various OSs but not with every device running on those operating systems.
If this is the case, you may consider purchasing a new device; otherwise, you can always view HBO Max via a web browser.
6. Log out and re-login from the app
- Click on your profile, on the top right corner of the screen.
- Hit the settings Icon, and select the Sign Out option.
On HBO Max, some occasional errors and faults might corrupt account data. In this case, the current session may have unexpected issues, including problems lagging until the user data is refreshed. A re-login can fix this.
7. Turn off the VPN
- Open the Settings app by using Windows key + I shortcut.
- Select Network & Internet from the left pane, and select VPN on the right pane.
- Select your VPN connection and remove it.
Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) are programs that safeguard your internet data and allow you to avoid your ISP’s geographical limitations.
They function by altering the default IP to mask your real location and filtering information leaving your device to safeguard sensitive data like credit card and bank account details.
This step might create delays and network instability if you’re not utilizing a trusted VPN. To remedy this, turn off your Virtual Private Networks before trying to access HBO Max.
However, in this case, we recommend using a more trustworthy VPN, such as Private Internet Access, to unblock HBO Max. PIA has a reputable security software with streaming-optimized servers.
If HBO Max finds IP addresses from a single server, it has the option to ban them. PIA generates a unique IP address, allowing you to avoid server congestion and watch HBO Max at the maximum speed for your device.
Additionally, PIA excels in download speeds due to the consistency of its connections across locations, allowing you to watch movies and TV episodes without annoying multimedia lags.
8. Clear your browser cache and cookies
- Click on the ellipses (3 dots at the top right corner of your browser), select More tools, then select Clear browser data.
- Under the Basic tab, select Browsing history, Cookies and other site data, Cached images and files, then click the Clear data button.
Once this is completed, relaunch HBO Max and try again.
If you want more advanced options that let you keep some data in your browser while cleaning the rest, you can use a dedicated utility like CCleaner.
This type of application can run a scan on your browser and give you an easy to comprehend report on what you can remove to free up space and boost loading speeds on HBO Max.
9. Disable your browser extensions
- Click on the ellipses (3 dots at the top right corner of your browser), select More tools, then choose Extensions.
- Click on the switch at the bottom of every extension you want to disable.
- Once this is completed, relaunch HBO Max and try again.
Browser extensions are programs, often third-party apps, that enhance the functionality of websites or your browser. However, they are sometimes extra burdens on a device, which may influence the performance of your system.
If you’re having trouble watching HBO Max, try deactivating the browser extensions.
10. Try HBO Max on a different device or browser
If a title is lagging and slow, see if the video playing on a different device is better.
If the app on Android or iOS isn’t functioning, try switching to the service’s app on your streaming device or TV to ensure the problem isn’t with the phone.
HBO Max is a web-based service that allows you to view TV series and movies from your computer. Whether you’ve already done that and are still having issues with the service’s online client, use a browser like Opera to log into your HBO Max account to see if it buffers or is slow.
What devices are known to be affected by slow streaming?
There are many devices to choose from that are compatible with HBO Max. But even some of these compatible devices have been reported by users for lagging while streaming.
Three of the affected devices are Roku, Firestick, and Chromecast. To be on the safe side, your Roku streaming device should be updated and have a minimum of the Roku OS 10, to reduce the chances of slow streams.
On newer Chromecasts, you can opt for a wired internet connection. These are much faster than the wireless ones.
If you have read up to this point of the article, you probably have been able to resolve any issues connected with slow streaming on HBO Max. These solutions and tips will be highly recommended regardless of the streaming device. You will be able to fix problems if HBO Max is slow on Chromecast, or any other device.
Please leave us your comments; we like to know what devices you use to stream HBO Max and which of these tips were most helpful.
If you would rather learn how to troubleshoot HBO Go and HBO Now issues on TV, Chrome, and Roku, you will find our guide on the best fixes for HBO Now / HBO Go not working very useful.