- Hiding your IP address when sending emails is a good way to ensure your online anonymity in case someone tries to track down your real geo-location or remotely attack your network.
- Discover 5 foolproof hacks to easily mask your IP when sending emails, whether you prefer the web browser or an email client. Without a doubt, the safest way is by using a VPN.
- Keep yourself informed and learn everything about IP addresses if you're a privacy-concerned user.
- Join our VPN Troubleshooting Hub if you're experiencing any issues with your VPN.
Privacy-concerned users are continuously looking for ways to make their Internet sessions safer.
That’s right, we’ll talk about protecting your online identity by sending emails anonymously. Here’s what you need to do.
How do I hide my IP address when sending emails?
1. Use a VPN
Using a reliable VPN is a foolproof method for masking your IP address when sending emails or doing anything else online.
That’s because a VPN encrypts your network traffic to make sure that your data remains private even if it gets intercepted by hackers.
If you’re interested in a secure VPN, we suggest using Private Internet Access (PIA).
It’s a top-ranked virtual private network solution that maintains your online anonymity.
What you should know about PIA:
- 18,826 VPN and proxy servers (97 locations, 76 countries)
- Support for OpenVPN, WireGuard, and Shadowsocks
- No IP, DNS or WebRTC leaks
- Exclusive DNS servers and a VPN kill switch
- 24/7 live chat support
- 30-day money-back guarantee (no free trial)
Private Internet AccessUse a trustworthy VPN like PIA to hide your IP address when sending emails.
2. Use Tor
Another way to conceal your IP address when sending emails is by using Tor.
The main difference between Tor and VPN is that, while a VPN connects you to a single server, a Tor bounces your data traffic on multiple servers before it reaches its destination.
The only way you can join the Tor anonymous network is by downloading and using Tor Browser.
3. Use a proxy server
Still, if you’re not yet ready to commit to a premium VPN solution, it’s a good idea to use a proxy tool to hide your IP address when sending emails.
Besides, you can easily add proxy settings to any web browser in order to reroute your entire browser traffic.
Keep in mind that you might experience performance issues, including slowdowns.
4. Use Psiphon
Psiphon is an excellent Internet circumvention tool you can use to hide your IP address when sending emails.
It’s not that different from a VPN. You can download Psiphon for Windows PC, Android or iOS, connect to a server, then compose and send your email.
However, unlike a VPN, Psiphon can’t encrypt your data, so you can’t count on it to protect your sensitive information from hacker decryption.
5. Use public Wi-Fi or switch to mobile data
Another solution to mask your IP address is to simply change your Wi-Fi network.
For instance, if you’re planning to go out, wait until you can connect to an open hotspot before sending your emails.
Or, if you can switch to a 3G/4G mobile data plan, do it since the mobile carrier will assign a different IP address on your device.
However, we can’t advise you to connect to public, unencrypted Wi-Fi without the security features provided by a premium VPN service. Those are honeypots for cyber-criminals.
And, if you connect to a VPN, you already gain a different IP address, which means that you won’t need to switch networks.
To recap, you can easily hide your IP address when sending emails by using the solutions we described above: a VPN service, Tor, a proxy tool, Psiphon, or a public Wi-Fi hotspot or mobile data plan.
However, if we had to choose the safest method, there’s no doubt: a VPN.
FAQ: Learn more hiding your IP address when sending emails
- How do I hide my IP address when sending Gmail?
You can use a VPN, join the Tor network, use a proxy tool, install Psiphon, or switch to another network to hide your IP address when sending email, including on web services like Gmail.
- Does an email show your IP address?
Yes, an email could show your IP address in the header. That’s why it’s crucial to mask your IP before sending emails, in order to ensure your anonymity.
- How do you send an untraceable email?
In addition to using the solutions in this article, you can create a new email account using fake information. You can also use an online, temporary, and disposable email address. Or you can turn to email encryption tools.Editor's Note: This article was originally published in November 2017 and was revamped and updated in January 2021 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.