- Gmail's auto-complete feature allows you to select email addresses when you start typing in the To field.
- The auto-complete feature on Gmail sometimes fails to work, so today we'll show you how to fix it.
- For more info on using Gmail in your browser, feel free to check out our collection of Browser Guides.
- If you're looking to change your email client, our Email Hub might offer helpful recommendations.
Gmail’s auto-complete feature enables users to select email addresses when they start typing something in the To field. Then, users can select an email address from a list of suggested contacts.
However, this handy feature might not always work for some users.
How can I fix Gmail’s auto-complete option?
1. Open Gmail in another browser
In some cases, auto-complete might not work due to a browser issue. So, try utilizing Gmail in an alternative browser.
On this note, our recommendation would be to use Opera browser, with its multiple helpful features that can surely improve your workflow.
Switching from your current browser to Opera is easy and takes only a couple of minutes.
After installing the browser using the button below, you can import website preferences and bookmarks with just one click and you’re good to use Gmail right away.
With the Autofill option, you can automatically complete online common forms for such as addresses, credit card information, or any other frequently used details.
To enable the Autofill feature:
- Go to Settings.
- Click Advanced in the left sidebar, and click Privacy & security.
- Under Autofill, choose the category you are interested in (Passwords, Payment methods, Addresses, etc.)
- Turn on the Save and fill… option.
If you want Opera to automatically fill in forms, click the Add button to add an address or payment method. You can edit these details at any time by deleting or adjusting them.
Try using Gmail in Opera and improve your workflow using the Autofill feature.
2. Configure Gmail to automatically add contacts for auto-complete
- Open Gmail.
- Click Settings and select again Settings on the menu to open the General tab.
- Scroll down to the Create contacts for auto-complete option.
- Select the When I send a message to a new person, add them to Other Contacts so that I can auto-complete to them next time option.
- Press the Save Changes button to apply the new settings. Now Gmail will automatically add contacts for Auto-complete to suggest.
3. Add contacts to Gmail
- Open https://contacts.google.com in a browser.
- Then click the Create contact option.
- Enter the contact details in the Create new contact box shown directly below.
- Press the Save button. Then auto-complete should suggest the contacts added when users start typing their email addresses in the To field.
This workaround applies to users who keep the I’ll add contacts myself option selected. They need to manually add contacts to their contact lists for auto-complete to suggest email addresses.
4. Open Gmail in Chrome’s incognito mode
Some Chrome users have said they’ve fixed auto-complete not working by turning Chrome’s incognito browsing mode on.
To do that, click the Customize Google Chrome button. Then select the New incognito window option.
5. Reset the browser
- Type chrome://settings/ in the URL bar and press Enter.
- Scroll down the Settings tab, and click the Advanced button.
- Scroll down again and select the Restore settings to their original defaults option. Then click Reset settings to confirm.
6. Delete Gmail accounts from Apple devices
Users utilizing their Gmail accounts on Apple devices might need to delete those accounts from the iPads or iPhones to fix auto-complete.
Users can do that on iPad versions 10.3 or earlier by tapping Settings > Mail and selecting the Gmail account to delete. Then select the Delete Account option.
The above resolutions might fix Gmail’s auto-complete for some users. Note that Gmail‘s auto-complete has had bugs in the past, so on some occasions, users might need to wait for Google to fix auto-complete issues.
If you managed to restore the auto-complete function in Gmail using one of our suggestions, we’d be happy to hear from you, so feel free to drop us a line in the comments section.
Frequently Asked Questions
To enable Gmail autocomplete, you need to adjust some settings, more specifically the Smart Compose option in the General tab.
To remove an email address from Gmail‘s autofill, go to Contacts, select More, and then select the Delete option.
Gmail‘s AI feature analyzes and decodes what you type so as to understand the meaning of your sentences. It then suggests words and phrases that you can use to finish your sentences. To use the suggestions, simply hit the Tab key.