- Immersive Reader is a very helpful tool for web reading. It has a lot of functions that include even grammar aids like highlighting parts of speech with different colors or separating syllables.
- You can access the Immersive Reader in Microsoft Edge either if you click on the address bar and then on the specific icon from the right, or by pressing the F9 key.
- Microsoft Edge is developing pretty fast with lots of interesting features. Read all about it from our Microsoft Edge section.
- We wrote many guides on how to use software and hardware. Go to our Tech Tutorials Hub for more.
Immersive Reader is a very helpful tool for web reading. It has a lot of functions that include even grammar aids like highlighting parts of speech with different colors or separating syllables.
How can I use Microsoft Edge Immersive Reader
You can access the Immersive Reader in Microsoft Edge either if you click on the address bar and then on the specific icon from the right, or by pressing the F9 key. You will see a horizontal drop-down menu with 4 options.
How can I read the text aloud in Immersive Reader?
1. Click the first option, Read aloud
2. The reading will start immediately. If you’re not happy with the voice or reading speed you can also click on the Voice option from the top right and change them to your liking. You will notice that the read words are highlighted so that you know where you are every time.
How can I change preferences in Immersive Reader?
The second option, Text preference, allows you to change the text size, the spacing between the words and the page theme. The most interesting one is the page theme changing option.
Just click on them and see how the background changes so you can relax your eyes while you’re reading.
How can I use the Grammar Tools in Immersive Reader?
If you click on the Grammar tools button, you will see the options of separating syllables, highlighting the different parts of speech, and even labeling them.
They are toggled off by default but we turned them all on for you to see what the result would be. This is a great tool for school kids, or for anybody who is trying to learn English grammar, of course.
How can I translate a text using Immersive Reading?
Probably, the most generally useful feature of Immersive Reader is the option to translate the text on the screen in any language.
- After you turn on the Immersive Reader, click on the Reading preferences.
- Click on the Choose a language bar and select the language of preference.
- Click on the Translate entire page button from the bottom of the menu like shown in the picture below.
Right now, The Immersive Reader tool is available only if you downloaded the Microsoft Edge 84 Dev and Canary builds. However, you can play with all the features on the Microsoft Learning Tools page.