- The hard drive short DST check failed error usually shows up when restarting your HP laptop.
- When the short DST failed error appears it means that your hard drive doesn't work properly.
- Some errors may cause the hard drive short DST check failed issue on your HP.
- Trying to disable some apps might help you solve the short DST failed problem.
While restarting your HP laptop you may get the HP laptop start-up test – hard disk DST failed error. This error is usually caused by a faulty hard disk that may need replacement.
Fix this error by following the steps below.
How do I fix my HP hard drive error?
1. Check hard disk for errors
- Use the Windows media driver to insert a bootable CD or Flash Drive.
- Change the boot preference from your hard drive to recovery drive in the BIOS.
- Boot from your recovery drive.
- In the setup window, select your language and click Next.
- At the bottom left corner, click on Repair your computer .
- Choose Troubleshoot from the Advanced Options, select Command Prompt.
- When the command prompt appears, enter the following command and hit enter to execute it
The check disk utility will scan the system for any bad sectors in the hard drive and try to repair them if necessary.
After the repair is done, exit the Command Prompt window and shut down the system.
You should remove the recovery drive and try to boot from the hard drive. If repaired, the short DST failed error should be solved.
2. Check for conflicting software
If you have an antivirus program installed, try to disable it temporarily. If that does not work, you can also try to uninstall the antivirus program completely from the system.
You can also use the Restore Point option to restore your PC to an earlier point. For this, you again need the recovery drive if you are unable to login to your PC.
Now all you have to do is select any of the previously created restore points to fix this issue.
3. Replace hard drive
The most common cause for when the hard drive short DST check failed on your HP, is a defective hard drive due to corruption or damage.
If the laptop is new, you can contact the service center and claim the warranty.
Before that try to connect the hard drive to any other computer and see if it recognizes it.
However, if the laptop is out of warranty, you may need to purchase a new hard drive for your laptop.
You can recover your data from the old hard drive using a USB-SATA Adapter.
As you can see the solutions for how you can fix the hard drive short dst check failed error are easy to follow.
Even if your hard drive is not functioning properly as you’ve seen there is a way to recover your data.
We want to hear more from you on this subject so please drop us a comment in the section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
One cause for this issue might be interfering software. See all the aspects that are to blame for this issue along with the according solutions in our comprehensive article on how to fix short DST hard drive error on HP laptop.
Running a disk cleanup is always a good idea in this situation. Find out how you can solve this problem in our great guide on fixing hard drive errors in Windows 10.
A great solution to fix a hard drive is to use a high-quality recovery tool. Check out which are the best external hard drive recovery software in our article.