- The corruption of video files can be unfortunate, especially if they consisted of personal memories.
- That is why we will be listing several methods for recovering corrupted video files.
- To learn more about these types of files, check out our Video Hub.
- If you need more lists of handpicked products, go to our Data Recovery section instead.
Do you want to fix all corrupted video files on your Windows PC? We will show you how to do this in this post.
For instance, in a scenario whereby a video is corrupted and won’t play, especially when we’re talking about precious memories of birthday, wedding, meetings, the aftermath becomes a big problem and can be very devastating.
Windows report has compiled some of the best tools to help you in fixing all corrupted video files. These tools are compatible with Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10.
What tools should I use to fix corrupted video files?
This video repair software is capable of repairing corrupt AVI Video Files. It is a good video repair tool for Microsoft Windows to fix all corrupted video files such as unplayable MOV files in QuickTime player.
In addition, video files with corrupted issues such as header corruption, sound corruption, duration corruption, format change, and movement issues can be automatically fixed by using Stellar Repair For Video.
Also, this tool enables the repair of multiple video files simultaneously.
Stellar Repair For Video features:
- MOV, MP4, M4V, 3GP, 3G2, M4A, and F4V video file formats repair supported
- Repairs videos on memory cards, hard disks, and other storage media
- Preview of the repaired videos is provided
- Repaired files are saved at a user-specified location
- It supports Windows 10/8/8.1/7/Vista
Meanwhile, the new version has a new feature which enables users to repair severely corrupted video file by using a sample file.
A sample file, on the other hand, is a working file of any size created from the same device and of the same format as of your corrupt video file.
Stellar Repair for Video
Repair all of your video files and restore them to their previous state with the help of this very simple utility!
In keeping with its developer’s name, Wondershare Video Repair is an absolute wonder when it comes to the recovery and repair of video files.
It can handle the video files from different storage devices, like hard drive, SD card, camera, USB drive, so you are not bound to PC-only files.
The product is also extremely versatile since it can process MOV, MP4, M2TS, MKV, MTS, 3GP, AVI, FLV, and M4V files.
More so, you can preview the videos during the repair process,s so that you can see in real-time what a great job this product does.
Wondershare Video Repair
If you need your precious video files to be recovered and restored to pristine condition, then you need this tool!
The third entry in this article is a tool that emphasizes simplicity above all else, having been designed for users of all experience levels.
It doesn’t matter if it is a short 10 MB video or a Bluray-quality 60 GB video, Kernel Video Repair will repair it for you in an instant.
Simply open the tool, browse for the corrupted media, and then choose to repair it.
The repair duration varies based on filesize and the level of data corruption, but it accts fast nonetheless.
Kernel Video Repair
Video file recovery shouldn't be a headache, and Kernel Video Repair makes the recovery process all the more easier!
Unlike the other entries on our list, Recoverit form iSkysoft is not just a dedicated video repair tool, as it can easily handle all sorts of other formats as well.
In fact, the number of supported file formats ramps up toa round 1000, and it can recover them from all sorts of media.
This includes your HDD, external HDDs and SSDs, flash drives, disks, and more.
Finally, you must know that you don’t need any experience using similar tools since Recoverit was created with the common user is mind.
Recover all files from your system, bot just your videos, with the help of this well-rounded recovery and repair tool!
Here are features of Yodot AVI Repair:
- It effectively repairs AVI, XVID and DIVX video files on Windows.
- Corrupted AVI files by DSLR cameras or camcorder brands can be repaired.
- Corrupted AVI files on hard drive, USB drive, memory card, media players, etc can be repaired.
- It easily mends video files in 3 to 4 steps with a simple and user-friendly interface.
- It previews video file after the completion of the repair process.
Saving the last for the best, Remo Repair AVI is very good at repairing corrupt XVID, DIVX, AVI, and other video file formats. Therefore, it can be utilized in fixing all corrupted video files.
In addition, Remo Repair tool comes with a powerful algorithm that is able to de-mux broken parts of a damaged file. Remo Repair enables corrupted videos to be turned into useful files.
Remo Repair tool features:
- Repairs corrupt XVID, DIVX AND AVI, file formats that are unplayable.
- Repairs and adjoins video and audio data stream side by side.
- Fixed AVI files can easily be played both on Windows.
- It has a demo version that fixes the corrupted file.
- It provides a preview of the repaired file.
- Remo Repair AVI supports memory cards, hard disk drives, USBs etc.
Manually fix all corrupted video files with VLC
In addition to using standalone tools for fixing corrupted video files, you can also make use of VLC media player. VLC comes with lots of features, some of which are not generally known such as fixing corrupt video files.
For instance, you can fix corrupt MOV files using VLC Player by using the ‘transcode’ feature; this enables VLC to convert the damaged MOV videos into playable files.
Method 1: Repair corrupt MP4 or MOV Files with VLC Media Player
Here’s how to do this:
- Launch VLC Player > Go to Media, and then select Convert or Save
- Include input files that need to be transcoded, and then click Convert or Save
- When the convert window appears, a file name for the destination file should be provided.
- From the profile list, select the desired input Codec.
- Press Edit Selected Profile button to edit profile settings
- Also, you can select ‘to add a new profile’ or delete any existing profile
- Click on Start.
Method 2: Replicate Video File
Here’s how to do this:
- Copy the corrupted MOV file.
- Rename the video file extension to .AVI.
- Launch the VLC media player.
- Select VLC > Preferences, and then click on Input or Codecs.
- Click on Save in the Preferences tab.
- Select Always Fix next to repair AVI Files
- Open the copied video file with VLC media player afterward.
All corrupted video files stored on internal or external hard drives, memory cards, smartphones, digital camera or other video storage devices can be repaired with any of the video repair tools we mention in this post.
Video file formats such as MOV, MP4, F4V, M4V, 3GP, etc can be repaired on Windows PC by using any of the tools.
On the other hand, VLC Media Player is a free option to repair corrupt video files but it is not easy to use unlike the aforementioned video files repair tool.
With the Stellar Phoenix, Yodot AVI, Digital, or Remo Video Repair, you can repair multiple videos of various file formats in just three steps i.e. upload, repair, and save. These Windows compatible professional video repair tools save time.
Meanwhile, in order to prevent future video files corruption, we do recommend that you use a strong antivirus such as BullGuard, Malwarebytes, or Bitdefender.
If you o have any question regarding how to fix all corrupted video files on your Windows PC, don’t hesitate to comment below.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in August 2018 and has been since revamped and updated in September 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.