Fix: Hulu Plus PB4 Error in Windows 10, 8.1
Hulu Plus is one of the best Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 streaming apps currently available in the Windows Store.
However, many Hulu Plus users have been reporting the PB4 error.
I am not able to enjoy Hulu Plus services on Windows 8/Windows 8.1 myself because I’m based out of the United States.
Many of our readers have sent in this question, asking how to solve the annoying PB4 error that they are having while running on Windows 8 or Windows 8.1.
Some have been experiencing PB3 errors, as well, but the nature of these two problems is the same, so we’ll try to apply the same fixes, which you’ll see that are very simple and straightforward.
Some basic tips to get rid of PB4 error in Hulu Plus
Hulu Plus PB4 error can cause many problems, and in this article we’re going to cover the following issues:
- Hulu app not working Windows 10 – This error message can be serious and it can prevent your Hulu app from working on Windows 10. However, you should be able to fix the problem by using one of our solutions.
- Hulu plus PB4 error Windows 8 – This error can appear on older versions of Windows as well, and you might experience it even if you’re using Windows 8 or 8.1.
- Hulu Windows 10 PB4 – This error can also appear on Windows 10. This is most likely a driver-related issue and it can be easily resolved.
- Hulu plus unable to start – Sometimes you might not be able to start Hulu due to this error. If you have this problem, try reinstalling the Hulu app and check if that solves the issue.
This problem is only affecting Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 users, and it seems that with the release of Windows 8.1, some of these issues have been taken care off.
So, you also need to make sure that you make the jump to Windows 8.1, despite the fact that there are many who’d like to see it uninstalled. If you are running Windows 8.1 already, then follow the below mentioned steps.
Steps to fix Hulu Plus PB4 errors
- Update your drivers
- Edit your registry
- Set your speakers as the default audio device
- Reinstall and reset the application
Solution 1 – Update your drivers
First of all, it seems that PB3 and PB4 errors are appearing because the video or audio drivers are missing for the app to run smoothly.
Go on their websites to manually download the needed drivers for your selected model.
If yo don’t know how to update your graphics card drivers, we advise you to check out our guide on how to update graphics card drivers on Windows 10.
We also recommend this third-party tool (100% safe and tested by us) to automatically download all the outdated drivers on your PC.
Solution 2 – Edit your registry
If you’re getting Hulu Plus PB4 error, you might be able to solve it simply by modifying your registry.
According to users, this problem occurs because a set of older drivers made some incorrect changes to the registry.
To fix the problem, you need to manually edit your registry by doing the following:
- Press Windows Key + R to open the Run dialog. Enter regedit and press Enter or click OK.
- When Registry Editor opens, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionAudio in the left pane. In the right pane, double click on DisableProtectedAudioDG. If this DWORD isn’t available, you can create it by right clicking the right pane and choosing New > DWORD (32-bit) Value from the menu.
- Set the Value data to 0 and click on OK to save changes. If using Value data 0 doesn’t fix the problem, you might want to set it to 1 and check if that solves the issue.
Many users reported that modifying this DWORD fixed the problem for them, so be sure to try it out.
Solution 3 – Set your speakers as the default audio device
Several users claim that you can fix Hulu Plus PB4 simply by disabling default HDMI sound and setting Speakers as the default audio device.
According to them, this issue occurs after connecting the second display with their PC via HDMI.
This causes the HDMI sound channel to become the default device and this error to appear. To fix the issue, you just need to set your speakers as the default audio device.
This is rather simple and you can do it by following these steps:
- Right click the sound icon in the bottom right corner and choose Playback devices from the menu.
- Right click the empty space and make sure that both Show Disabled Devices and Show Disconnected Devices options are checked.
- Right click Speakers and choose Set as Default Device.
- Now locate HDMI device on the list, right click it and choose Disable from the menu.
Solution 4 – Reinstall and reset the application
According to users, sometimes you can fix this problem simply by reinstalling the application. It seems that Hulu Plus PB4 error occurs if you change your audio settings.
In order to fix this problem, you need to remove Hulu and install it again. To do that, follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + I to open the Settings app.
- When Settings app opens, go to Apps section.
- Now select the Hulu app and click on Uninstall.
After removing the app, you need to download it again from Windows Store and check if that solves the problem.
If reinstalling the application doesn’t help, you can always reset it by doing the following:
- Open the Settings app and go to Apps section.
- Select Hulu app from the list and click on Advanced options.
- Now click on Reset button.
- Click on Reset button again to confirm.
After resetting the application to default, check if the problem still appears.
If you are running Windows 8 through a virtual machine, like VMware or Parallels or maybe using this device through a partitioned computer such as a Macbook, chances on getting the PB4 error are much higher.
So just make sure that you’re running the latest version and that your software is legit.
If you know of other solutions, then let us know by leaving your comment below.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in March 2014 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
- 9 ways to fix Netflix black screen on your computer
- Hulu will offer 21st Century Fox and Walt Disney channels
- How to fix Netflix black bars at top, bottom and on sides of movies
- Netflix full screen not working [FIX]
- Netflix error M7361-1253: Quick solutions to resolve it within minutes
If you tried launching Twitch with Minecraft this past month, you might have encountered this error Twitch could not verify Minecraft version. Even though the […]
Many users have reported Internet connection sharing error 1053 when trying to start the Internet Connection Sharing services (ICS). After our research regarding this error […]
According to some Reddit users, Windows 10 v1903 caused problems for .ogg extension files. In other words, they can’t play .ogg files on their computers […]