Some users have posted on Microsoft’s forum about an information store cannot be opened error that arises when they try to launch Outlook. There are a few variations of that error message for the different Outlook versions. For Outlook 2019 and ‘16 users, the full error message states:
Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. The information store could not be opened.
As a result, users can’t open Outlook. There are, however, numerous potential fixes for the information store cannot be opened error. Check out some of the resolutions below to fix the information store issue.
How can Users Fix the Information Store Error?
1. Open Outlook in Safe Mode
First, try opening Outlook in Safe Mode. Press the Windows key + R hotkey. Then enter ‘Outlook /safe’ in the Open box and click OK.
2. Deselect the Compatibility Mode Option
- Deselecting the compatibility mode option for Outlook might fix the information store cannot be opened issue. Open Outlook’s folder in File Explorer.
- Right-click the Outlook.exe to select Properties.
- Select the Compatibility tab.
- Deselect the Run this program in compatibility mode check box.
- Click Apply and OK.
3. Fix the Navigation Pane File
The information store error can be due to corrupted navigation pane settings. To fix that, press the Windows key + R keyboard shortcut. Then enter ‘outlook.exe /resetnavpane’ in Run’s Open text box, and press the OK button.
4. Fix Outlook’s PST File
- Some users might need to fix corrupted Outlook data files. Open File Explorer by pressing the Windows key + E keyboard shortcut.
- Open the Outlook folder in File Explorer. The default folder path for Outlook 2019 and ‘16 is: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16.
- Click SCANPST.EXE to open the Microsoft Outlook Inbox Repair Tool shown directly below.
- Click Browse to select an Outlook PST file.
- Press Start to scan.
- Then users can select a Repair option if the scan detects errors.
5. Remove Lync From the System Startup
- Some users have said that quitting Lync, which was running when they launched Outlook, fixed the information store error. Thus, Lync is a conflicting program that users can remove from the system startup by right-clicking the taskbar and selecting Task Manager.
- Select the Start-up tab.
- Select Lync and click Disable.
- Restart Windows after removing Lync from the startup, and launch Outlook again.
6. Clean Boot Windows
- To ensure there aren’t any other conflicting programs, clean boot Windows. To do that, enter ‘msconfig’ in Run and click OK.
- Click Selective Startup to select the Load system services and Use original boot configuration options on the General tab. Uncheck the Load startup items option.
- On the Services tab, select the Hide all Microsoft services option; and click the Disable all button.
- Click the Apply button.
- Press the OK button, and select the Restart option.
Those resolutions will probably fix the information store cannot be opened error for lots of users. Outlook users can also check out the Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant utility, which might also fix the information store error.
RELATED ARTICLES TO CHECK OUT: