- Microsoft Outlook is one of the world's most popular email clients, especially since it comes as part of the Microsoft Office Suite.
- Unfortunately, not even a program like Outlook is error-proof, one good example being the error 0x80042108 that we will be troubleshooting below.
- We have plenty of other similar articles covered in our dedicated Outlook Fix Hub.
- For more articles covering this email client, check out our Outlook page.
Reported error (0x80042108): Outlook is unable to connect to your incoming (POP3) email server.
Consequently, they can’t send or receive SMTP emails. The error message highlights that the (POP3) mail server isn’t working correctly.
Error 0x80042108 can be due to corrupted PST files, third-party anti-virus or firewall software, Outlook‘s configuration settings or incomplete installation of MS Office. Here are a few potential fixes for the 0x80042108 error in Outlook.
Outlook is generally reliable, but if you frequently work with sending and receiving emails, then you better upgrade to a new client, like Mailbird.
Mailbird allows you to sync and gathers all emails from all of your addresses into a single menu. More so, you can customize that menu in however way you deem necessary, allowing Mailbird to suit pretty much anyone’s needs.
Additionally, the client is constantly updated and fixed, so in the unlikely chance that you do find an issue, it will be gone in no time.
Mailbird is a premium-level email client that brings a host of tools and features that can definitely improve your workflow.
How do I fix Outlook error 0x80042108 in Windows 10?
1. Switch off your antivirus software
Many third-party anti-virus utilities, such as Norton, have integrated email scanners and firewalls that can undermine Outlook‘s server connection. Thus, error 0x80042108 could be due to your antivirus software.
You can temporarily disable most anti-virus software by right-clicking their system tray icons and selecting a disable context menu setting. Select to temporarily deactivate the antivirus utility before opening Outlook.
One the other hand, you could also try an alternative antivirus tool, one that doesn’t interfere with your system’s processes either, such as Bitdefender.
Bitdefender is ranked as the number 1 antivirus tool thanks to the multitude of tools that it has at its disposal, but also thanks to how efficient they are.
Surprisingly enough, all of that protective power comes at no cost of your system’s stability, with errors and other complications being at near 0 when using Bitdefender.
If you need an antivirus tool that will not hinder Outlook's ability to send and receive emails, give Bitdefdenr a try.
2. Reinstall Outlook
Reinstalling Outlook will give it a fresh configuration. It might also fix issues with the original Outlook installation. Uninstall the application with a third-party utility that will also erase leftover registry entries.
One such uninstaller that is definitely worth mentioning is IObit Uninstaller 9 Pro, and here’s how you cna use it to completely remove Outlook form your PC:
- Download and install IObit Uninstaller 9 Pro
- Launch the program
- Select the All programs tab
- Choose the program that you need to uninstall
- Select whether to create a restore point and if you want to also remove residual files
- Let the program run its course
- Restart your PC
- Reinstall Outlook
IObit Uninstaller 9 Pro
Remove all unwanted software from your PC and prepare for a clean reinstall with this amazing utility.
3. Fix Outlook Error 0x80042108 with Stellar Repair for Outlook
- First, press the Select Outlook File button on the Select Outlook Data File window.
- Select an Outlook PST file to scan.
- You can also select a Find Outlook File option to open a Find PST File search tool.
- Select a drive to search in by clicking Look in, select Outlook Data File (PST) from the File Type drop-down menu and press the Start button.
- Then press the Start button on the Select Outlook Data File window to repair the PST file.
- Thereafter, click Save Recovered File to restore all recovered email files.
There are also third-party software utilities that fix corrupted PST files. Stellar Repair for Outlook (free download) is one program with which you can repair a PST file and recover its contents.
Stellar Repair for Outlook
Recover all of your email-related data and avoid future error messages thanks to this dedicated Outlook repair utility.
4. Check Internet connection
First, check your internet connection is working. Of course, you can’t send or receive emails when the net connection is down. If your internet connection is down, try resetting the router.
Alternatively, the Internet Connections troubleshooter in Windows might also help fix the web connection. You can open that by entering ‘troubleshoot’ in Cortana’s search box, clicking Troubleshoot and then selecting the Internet Connections troubleshooter.
For more information on what to do if your Internet connection is down, follow the troubleshooting steps listed in this article.
5. Run Outlook in Safe Mode
Outlook has its own Safe Mode that starts the software without add-ins and additional customization files. Open Outlook in Safe Mode when there’s something up with the application.
To open Outlook in Safe Mode, press the Win key + R hotkey and enter Outlook /safe in Run’s text box. Outlook will open in Safe Mode when you press OK.
If you’re having trouble opening Outlook, this troubleshooting guide will help you fix the problem.
6. Switch off Windows Firewall
- Click Windows Firewall to open the Control Panel tab shown directly below.
- Click Turn Windows Firewall on or off to open further settings.
- Select both the Turn off Windows Firewall options and click OK to switch the firewall off.
- If that fixes error 0x80042108, click Allow an app or feature through on the Windows Firewall tab to open the window shown directly below.
- Press the Change settings button.
- Scroll through the list of apps until you get to Outlook. Select both Outlook‘s check boxes if they’re not selected, and press OK to apply the new settings.
- Switch the Windows Firewall back on.
The Windows Firewall can also interfere with Outlook‘s server connection. You can switch the firewall off by pressing the Cortana button and entering firewall in the search box.
7. Check the Windows Update service is on
- Another thing to check is that Windows Update is on.
- To check Windows Update’s configuration, enter service in the Cortana search box.
- Select Services to open the window shown below.
- Scroll down to the Windows Update service.
- Double-click Windows Update to open the window in the shot directly below.
- Select Automatic from the Startup type drop-down menu.
- Press the Apply > OK buttons to close the window.
- Restart Windows and then open the Outlook application.
7. Fix the PST file with the Inbox Repair tool
- First, close Outlook before opening the Inbox Repair Tool.
- Next, enter scanpst.exe in the Cortana search box; and press the Enter key.
- The Inbox Repair Tool might start a repair process automatically. If it doesn’t, press the Browse button and select a PST file to scan.
- Press the Start button to initiate a scan.
- If a PST file repair is required, a new window opens stating as such. Press the Repair button on that window.
Error 0x80042108 is often due to a corrupted PST (Personal Storage Table) file. Consequently, Outlook has an Inbox Repair Tool that fixes corrupted PST files.
Those resolutions will probably fix the 0x80042108 error so that you can open and send emails with Outlook. Deleting temporary files, anti-virus scans and the System Restore tool in Windows might also help resolve the issue.
You can also fix Outlook issues with the Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant software. Also, you can try the best Windows 10 email clients and apps to use from our list.
Frequently Asked Questions
The Outlook 0x80042108 error regularly happens when you have incorrectly typed the name of the POP3 email server. It can also happen if you don’t currently have an Internet connection.
Yes, you can. One good way of doing this is by saving your Outlook PST files to PDF format.
All software tools can be affected by errors. In the case of Outlook, here is a list of the top 15 most frequent bugs that you may meet.