- Opera is a popular and lightweight Chromium-based browser.
- It can run into issues due to a buggy update or a malfunctioning plugin.
- Reinstalling the browser is the best option to eliminate any issues. However, you run the risk of losing all your settings and date during the reinstallation process.
- You can easily backup and save all your data by following some simple and easy steps.
Opera is an excellent Chromium-based browser that’s known for its rich set of features and a great user interface. However, it is not without its flaws and you might face issues from time to time due to a failed update or a faulty plugin.
In such cases, you will have to reinstall your Opera browser to get rid of any issues. But during the reinstallation process, there are chances of losing all your settings and data. This includes your Speedials, Bookmarks, Passwords, Extensions, and Pinboards.
After installation, it can be hectic and time-consuming to reconfigure your browser to the prior state. Hence, it is always recommended to backup your files before you update or install the Opera browser.
In this guide, we’ll go over the steps and learn how you can install Opera without losing data.
How to install Opera without losing data?
1. Backup your data and settings
- Close your Opera Browser and open Windows Explorer.
- Insert the following address in the windows address bar to open the Opera files directory:
C:\Users\prana\AppData\Roaming\Opera Software\Opera Stable
- Select all the files and copy them to your desktop in an Opera Backup folder.
- Open Opera Browser and go to the Settings menu.
- Under Basic settings go to the Synchronization tab.
- Open Advanced settings and ensure that it is set to Sync everything.
As you can see, these steps are simple to follow and resemble those that users apply when uninstalling Microsoft Edge from Windows 10/11, for example. Things are no different if you are looking for an efficient way to uninstall the Avast Secure Browser either.
3. Install and set up Opera Browser
- Go to the Official Opera website and click on Download now.
- Run the Opera Setup file and install the browser.
- Open the Settings Menu and Sign In with your Opera account under the Synchronization tab.
That’s it. You have now restored your browser to its original state. It is always better to backup your Opera settings time-to-time to ensure that you can always go back to your original setup in case of any issues.
Let us know if you have any suggestions or alternative methods that worked for you in the comments section below.