Fix: INVALID_SOFTWARE_INTERRUPT error on Windows 10
Computer errors are relatively common, and while certain errors are harmless, some errors, such as INVALID_SOFTWARE_INTERRUPT can cause major problems. This error will crash Windows 10 and restart your PC, therefore it’s important that you know how to fix it.
How to fix INVALID_SOFTWARE_INTERRUPT BSoD error
Quick solution to fix various errors in Windows 10
- Step 1: Download this PC Scan & Repair tool
- Step 2: Click “Start Scan” to find Windows issues that could be causing BSOD errors in Windows 10
- Step 3: Click “Start Repair” to fix all issues (requires upgrade).
Solution 1 – Download the latest Windows updates and update your drivers
Windows 10 has a few minor bugs and certain issues with some hardware and software, and sometimes these issues can cause Blue Screen of Death errors to appear. To prevent errors such as INVALID_SOFTWARE_INTERRUPT from appearing, it’s recommended that you download the latest Windows 10 updates. Downloading updates is simple, and you can do it by using the Windows Update tool.
Windows updates offer new features, security improvements and various bug fixes, therefore it’s important that you download these updates if you want your PC to be safe, stable, and error-free.
In addition to downloading Windows updates, it’s just as important that you keep your drivers up to date. Outdated or buggy drivers cannot be used properly by your operating system, and in such cases you can encounter a BSoD error. To fix this problem, it’s highly recommended that you update your drivers.
Usually only one driver is causing this error, and with little research you find the problematic driver and update it. If you cannot find the problematic driver we advise you to update all your drivers in order to fix this problem. Updating your drivers is simple, and in order to do that you just need to visit your hardware manufacturer’s website and download the latest drivers for your device.
If you want to prevent BSoD errors and crashes, we highly recommend that you update all your drivers. If you wish to update all your drivers with just a single click, we suggest that you try this Driver Update software.
Solution 2 – Remove your antivirus
Although antivirus and firewall are important for your computer’s safety, sometimes antivirus programs can cause INVALID_SOFTWARE_INTERRUPT and other Blue Screen of Death errors to appear. To fix this problem, it’s advised that you remove your currently installed antivirus program and check if that fixes the error.
Users reported that Avira antivirus was causing this error, but bear in mind that almost any antivirus program can cause this issue to appear, therefore we advise you to remove all third-party antivirus programs from your PC. We have to mention that uninstalling your antivirus program might not fix this issue, therefore it’s recommended to use dedicated removal tool. Many antivirus programs tend to leave certain files and registry entries after you uninstall them, therefore it’s important to use dedicated removal tool to remove all those files.
- READ ALSO: Fix: DRIVER_VIOLATION error on Windows 10
Solution 3 – Perform clean boot and remove the problematic applications
Third-party applications can cause Blue Screen of Death errors to appear, and in order to fix this issue, it’s recommended that you find and remove the problematic applications. Users reported that Folder Lock was causing this error, and after removing it, the issue was completely fixed.
Bear in mind that almost any third-party application can cause this error, and in order to find the problematic application, we advise that you perform clean boot by following these steps:
- Press Windows Key + R on your keyboard. Enter msconfig and click OK or press Enter.
- System Configuration window will now open. Choose Selective startup and uncheck Load startup items.
- Now go to Services tab, check the Hide all Microsoft services and click the Disable all button.
- Click Apply and OK to save changes.
- Now open Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc.
- When Task Manager opens go to Startup tab, right click each entry on the list and choose Disable from the menu.
- After disabling all startup applications restart your PC.
After your PC restarts, check if the error appears again. If there are no BSoD errors, it means that one of disabled services or applications was causing this error. Now you need to repeat the same steps, but this time be sure to enable services and applications one by one until you find the one that is causing this error.
Solution 4 – Reset Windows 10 and check your hardware
If you can’t find the software that is causing this issue, you might want to perform Windows 10 reset. It’s worth mentioning that this procedure will delete all files from your C partition, therefore we strongly suggest that you back up your important files. In addition to backing up your files, you might also want to create a bootable USB flash drive with Media Creation Tool in order to perform Windows 10 reset. To reset Windows 10, do the following:
- Start Automatic Repair by restarting your PC few times during the boot sequence.
- Select Troubleshoot > Reset this PC > Remove everything. During this step you might be asked to insert Windows 10 installation media, therefore be prepared to do it.
- Select Only the drive where Windows is installed > Just remove my files and click the Reset button to start the process.
- Follow the instructions on the screen.
After the reset process is completed, test your PC for a while. Don’t install any applications or drivers, just wait and see if the error appears without any third-party software installed. If the error appears again, it means that your hardware is most likely faulty, therefore we suggest that you perform a detailed inspection of your hardware.
If you’re still having issues with your hardware or you simply want to avoid them for the future, we recommend you to download this tool (100% safe and tested by us) to fix various PC problems, such as hardware failure, but also file loss and malware.
INVALID_SOFTWARE_INTERRUPT error is usually caused by third-party applications, and you can easily fix it by finding and removing the problematic application.
- How to fix DirectX Errors on Windows 10
- Fix: Error 80070002 While Upgrading to Windows 10
- How to fix Windows Error Code 0xc0000185
- Fix 0x803f7001 Error in Windows 10
- Fix: ‘We couldn’t load the data model’ on Windows 10
Microsoft is all set to launch its next big update, Windows 10 version 1809 in October. While that should be a nice piece of news […]
The Windows 10 October 2018 Update (otherwise 18H2) rollout might now be two to three weeks away. For the last few months, new build previews […]