5 solutions to fix LoL black screen problems
- Update your GPU drivers
- Clean boot your computer
- Update your computer
- Disable Display Scaling
- Use an Ethernet connection
Windows 10 was presented as a very gaming-friendly operating system with a lot of new, innovative options and features for gamers. But the first problems with particular games already appeared. Namely, a lot of League of Legends players in Windows 10 face the strange issue with black screen. But luckily, it’s easy to fix.
This topic was pretty discussed on League of Legends Reddit page, but players quickly managed to find the solution for this problem. Apparently developers from Riot Games didn’t pay attention to all compatibility aspects of the game with Windows 10, so you’ll have to perform a couple of tweaks, but after that, everything should work just fine.
SOLVED: League of Legends shows a black screen
Solution 1: Update your GPU drivers
Installing the latest video drivers on your computer is as important as updating your OS. Normally, when you update your computer, Windows 10 downloads the latest driver versions as well.
To make sure that your computer indeed got the newest driver version, go to your GPU manufacturer’s website and check for updates.
If you can not find any suitable solution for you on GPU manufacturer’s website try to update your drivers with the software below.
Update drivers automatically
For the newest driver version, we strongly recommend Tweakbit’s Driver Updater tool. It automatically identifies each device on your computer and matches it with the latest driver versions from an extensive online database. Moreover it keeps you safe from downloading and installing the wrong driver versions, that can cause permanent damage to your computer and its components.
Here is how it works:
- Download and install here TweakBit Driver Updater
- Once installed, the program will start scanning your PC for outdated drivers automatically. Driver Updater will check your installed driver versions against its cloud database of the latest versions and recommend proper updates. All you need to do is wait for the scan to complete.
- Upon scan completion, you get a report on all problem drivers found on your PC. Review the list and see if you want to update each driver individually or all at once. To update one driver at a time, click the ‘Update driver’ link next to the driver name. Or simply click the ‘Update all’ button at the bottom to automatically install all recommended updates.
Note: Some drivers need to be installed in multiple steps so you will have to hit the ‘Update’ button several times until all of its components are installed.
Disclaimer: some features of this tool are not free.
Solution 2: Clean boot your computer
By clean booting your PC, you force it to use only the very minimum set of drivers and programs that it needs. In this manner, your computer will direct all its resources to powering the game. Here are the steps to follow:
- Go to Start > type msconfig > hit Enter
- Go to System Configuration > the Services tab > Hide all Microsoft services > Disable all.
- Go to the Startup tab > Open Task Manager.
- Select each startup item > click Disable.
- Close Task Manager and reboot your computer.
Solution 3: Update your computer
Make sure you’re running the latest Windows 10 version on your computer. Microsoft added a series of very useful game optimization features in the latest Windows 10 OS versions. Many gamers confirmed the latest updates improved their gaming experience by reducing the occurrences of technical issues and improving the FPS rate.
To update your device, go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update> Check for updates.
— RELATED: How to fix League of Legends DirectX errors
Solution 4: Disable Display Scaling
Here’s what you need to do to get rid of black screen when you start League of Legends in Windows 10:
- Right-click on the League of Legends launcher
- Go to Properties, and then to Compatibility
- Check Disable Display Scaling on high DPI Settings
- Also check Run as Administrator
- And uncheck the Compatibility mode
After performing this minor compatibility fix, you should be able to play League of Legends without any problems. I’m sure that this issue is just temporary, and that developing team will spot it and remove it. But until the update comes, you can use this workaround.
— RELATED: What to do if League of Legends won’t update
Solution 5: Use an Ethernet connection
Some gamers confirmed that switching to a cable connection solved this problem. Indeed, wireless Internet connections are less stable than Ethernet connection. If your Wi-Fi signal is not powerful enough, you may experience many game issues, including server errors and black screen issues.
If the problem still lingers, you can check out the troubleshooting guides listed below. They focus on way to fix general black screen issues, but maybe some of these methods will help you to get rid of your LoL problem as well.
- Windows 10 black screen without cursor [FIX]
- Full Fix: Black Screen After Sign in on Windows 10, 8.1, 7
- 3 Easy Steps to Fix Black Screen Issues in Windows 8.1, 10
Since we’re talking about gaming, tell us your gaming experience in Windows 10 so far? Did you use some of the new features to improve your gaming? Is everything working fine? Tell us your impressions about gaming in Windows 10 in the comments.
If you have any other Windows 10-related issues you can check for the solution in our Windows 10 Fix section.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in August 2015 and has been since updated for freshness, and accuracy.