Intense debate has surrounded Lumia Icon lately and the main question was the following: to get or not to get the Windows 10 upgrade? After long suspense, Microsoft released the news and confirmed that Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview will support Lumia Icon. So far, so good. However, Lumia Icon remains in the spotlight because it appears that the users who upgraded the OS recently cannot roll back to Windows 8.1.
Users reported bad video rendering, apparently Cortana is slow in taking commands or it keeps popping up, and the Live tiles do not work among other things. If the Windows 10 experience let you down, but you could not roll back to your previous OS, there are two workarounds you can try.
Here’s what you can do if your Lumia Icon can’t roll back to Windows 8.1
1. Use the Device Recovery Tool
This tool will reset and recover your phone software but the downside is that it will erase all content stored on your phone (apps, games, text messages, call history, photos, everything).
- Install Nokia Software Recovery Tool.
- Start the recovery program and connect your phone to your computer.
- If you’re asked, select the proper USB mode on your phone, Nokia Suite or Modem.
- Follow the indicated steps to complete the downgrade.
2. Use ROM Recovery Tool
This solution is to be used at your own risk because it could damage your phone. If you do not want to take this risk, go to a repair shop to have the downgrade done for you.
- Install Recovery Tool on your computer.
- Open an administrator command prompt in the Recovery Tool folder.
- Locate the ROM Recovery Tool. Theoretically, you should find in
- Find the FFU file (.ffu) for your device. Example:
- Enter the following into Command Prompt:
- thor2 -mode uefiflash -ffufile “add the .ffu file location”.
- Your phone should begin the flashing process. Wait until the process is completed.
- Once the flashing process is completed, enter the following line into Command Prompt to reboot your phone.
- thor2 -mode rnd -bootnormalmode
Your phone should now run the previous mobile OS.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- Windows 10 Mobile to get new Settings app icons
- How to use Visual Voicemail in Windows 10 Mobile
- Windows 10 Mobile Anniversary Update asks you to activate battery saver when battery is low