- The error message The program can't start because mfc100.dll is missing from your computer appears because maybe your computer is infected with a virus or malware.
- First, download Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package MFC Security Update and install it for your Windows version.
- If you have a problem with another missing or corrupted DLL file, visit our Fix DLL Errors section.
- All the articles we're written about Windows 10 errors are at your disposal in our Windows 10 Errors Hub if you will have any problems in the future.
So, in order to fix this problem, you will most likely need to enter Safe Mode on Windows 10 and continue the troubleshooting process from there.
As you can see in the screenshot above, the error message that appears on the screen is this: The program can’t start because mfc100.dll is missing from your computer.
One of the possible reasons for which you can get the error message regarding the mfc100.dll file is that maybe your computer is infected with a virus or malware.
You might have a hardware failure, your Windows 10 registry might be corrupted or perhaps you deleted it by mistake.
We have several options that you can try to get your mfc100.dll file back and get your system to work properly. So, in order to fix this problem, follow the instructions listed below.
How can I fix mfc100.dll is missing on Windows 10?
- Download Microsoft Visual C++ Service Redistributable Package
- Check your Recycle Bin
- Scan your system for malware
- Use System Restore
- Reinstall problematic programs
- Repair your Registry
If Windows 10 starts normally, don’t enter Safe mode and go straight to the first solution. On the other hand, if Windows 10 won’t start, then try to boot our PC into Safe Mode by Pressing the Shift button and F8 button when you power it up.
1. Download Microsoft Visual C++ Service Redistributable Package
- We need to go and download Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package MFC Security Update and install it .(choose the correct version to install depending on the operating system you have . Example: Windows 8 , Windows 8.1 etc.)
- This Program will try to replace or repair the mfc100.dll file in the system.
2. Check your Recycle Bin
If the problem persists, try restoring the mfc100.dll file from the Recycle Bin – in case you accidentally deleted it.
- If you deleted the mfc100.dll file by mistake then go to Recycle Bin on the desktop.
- Restore the mfc100.dll file you deleted.
3. Scan your system for malware
- Open the antivirus you have on you Windows 10, 8 operating system
- Scan for any virus or malware issues (it is possible that some viruses or malware might damage your DLL files). Note: Run a scan of the entire system.
4. Use System Restore
You can use the System Restore option to go back to a previous version of your system. This way, any files that you might have deleted or misplaced will be restored to a previous working state.
Instructions for Windows 10:
On Windows 10, you can either Reset your PC and keep your personal files or you can restore Windows from a system image.
We recommend you to start with the Reset method first.
Go to Start > type recovery > double-click on the first result to open the Recovery settings page > select Reset and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
If you’re still using Windows 8.1, here’s how to use System Restore:
- Move the mouse cursor to the right side of the screen.
- After the Charms bar opens up type in the search box Recovery
- Click (left click) on the Settings bar on the right side of the screen.
- Click (left click) on the Recovery icon.
- From the window that pops up click (left click) on Open System Restore.
- Choose the Recommended restore you have on the screen by left clicking on it.
- Click (left click) on Next situated in the lower side of the screen.
- Click (left click) on Finish situated in the lower side of the screen.
- Wait for the system restore to finish.
5. Reinstall problematic programs
The error with mfc100.dll file might occur when you install a program.
This means that the install process failed and the respective programs hasn’t been properly installed on your machine. If this is the case, follow these steps:
- Reboot the computer.
- Uninstall the program.
- Install the program again.
- Reboot the computer.e.
6. Repair your Registry
You can also fix .dll issues by repairing your Registry. Fortunately, there are many tools that you can use to quickly fix your Registry.
For more information, check out this list of the best Registry cleaners to you on your Windows computer.
The five tutorials posted above will probably solve your issue with the mfc100.dll file on Windows 10.
FAQ: Read more about .DLL files
- How do I fix mfc100u DLL missing in Windows?
To fix this issue, you will need to download Microsoft Visual C++ Service Redistributable Package. We’ve got more solutions in our complete guide to fix the mfc100u.dll issue.
- How do I install a DLL file?
Whatever you do, don’t download the file from an untrusted website as it might be infected with malware. Here’s a complete guide on how to fix a missing DLL file from Windows 10.
- What is mfc100 DLL missing?
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in June 2018 and has been since revamped and updated in March 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.