As part of its latest Patch Tuesday security update that Microsoft release once per month, the Redmond company has also issued an update for the Microsoft Camera Codec Pack in Windows 8.1. Below are more details.
The latest Patch Tuesday for December, 2013 released by Microsoft has brought quite a lot of updates and changes. We’ve already covered SkyDrive improvements, the new Microsoft AntiMalware Removal tool, as well as updates with printing issues found with the Windows Photo Viewer tool. Now, it seems that a new updated for Windows 8.1 has been made available and it covers the Microsoft Camera Codec Pack.
This update enables you to view many camera-specific file formats in various experiences in Windows. The update enables supported RAW camera files to be viewed in Windows Explorer, the built-in photo applications, and other Windows-based applications that use Windows Imaging Codecs.
So, as we can see, Microsoft has updated the Microsoft Camera Codec Pack and now RAW camera files can be viewed with dedicated photo applications and other Windows proprietary tools. On top of the many formats supported, now the Microsoft Camera Codec Pack comes with support for the file formats of the following devices:
- Canon: EOS 1DC, EOS-60Da, EOS 70D, PowerShot S100V
- Fujifilm: XF-1
- Nikon: Coolpix 5400, Coolpix 8700
- Olympus: E-PL5, E-PM2, XZ-10, XZ-2
- Panasonic: DMC-FZ200, DMC-GH3
- Pentax: K-5 II, K-5 IIs
- Samsung: Galaxy NX, NX2000, NX300
- Sony: A-99, Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 II, Cyber-shot DSC-RX1R, NEX-3N, NEX-5R, SLT-A58
Camera software for Windows 10, 8.1 and 8
In case your Windows 10, 8.1 or 8 PC is still not opening some image files, especially the files from different camera models, you can fix this problem by following the steps from this guide. It helped already thousand of our readers and it’s quite simple. If you have some specific features on your camera, feel free to choose other software. Here’s a quick list of handpicked software to open different camera file formats:
- 5 best software for raw editing Nikon photos on Windows 10
- 5 best CR2 raw file converters to download on your Windows 10 PC
- 8 of the best PC photo-editing software for 2018
- 6 best photo management and editing software for Windows 10
Don’t forget to mention in the comments section how did our article help you.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in December 2013 and has been since revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.