- The so-called runtime errors occur during program execution, and they can appear at any time.
- If you're suddenly presented with the Microsoft Visual C++ runtime library error after a reboot, try to remove your graphics card driver or reinstall Windows 10.
- This page contains further recommendations on what to do if getting system errors.
- If you experience similar issues, you’ll find a solution in our dedicated Windows 10 Errors Hub.
Well, if you upgraded recently to Windows 10 and you installed the latest updates, seemingly everything works well in Windows 10.
However, after a reboot of the operating system or shutdown, you may be prompted by a Microsoft Visual C++ runtime library window with a message saying that This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Still, you won’t need to worry because we have a fix to the Visual C++ runtime library error in Windows 10 and you can continue your normal use of the operating system afterward.
What is the Microsoft Visual C++ runtime library error? This is an error caused by a conflict between the operating system and the video card driver. There’s also a chance that the Visual C++ feature is broken or corrupt.
In this case, we recommend TweakBit Driver Updater (100% safe and tested) to automatically download all the outdated drivers on your PC.
Microsoft Visual C++ runtime error can be problematic, and speaking of errors, users reported the following issues as well:
- Microsoft Visual C++ runtime error r6025, r6034, r6016, r6030, r6002 – Sometimes this error message comes with an error code. The R error code is the most common, and you can fix most R error codes by using one of our solutions.
- Microsoft Visual C++ runtime error explorer.exe, qbw32.exe, atibtmon.exe, csrss.exe, nvvsvc.exe – Sometimes this error might give you the name of the file that caused it. To fix the problem, you just have to find the application that is related to the problematic file and reinstall it.
- Microsoft Visual C++ runtime error Excel, Internet Explorer, Skype, Steam, Java – This error message can appear while using various applications, and many users reported this error while using Excel, Skype, Steam and Java.
- Microsoft Visual C++ runtime error on startup – In some cases, this error message can appear right on startup. This is usually caused by your startup applications.
- Microsoft Visual C++ runtime error Nvidia – Several users reported that this error was caused by their Nvidia graphics. To fix the problem, you need to update or reinstall your drivers.
- Microsoft Visual C++ setup failed, not installing – Several users reported that they can’t install Visual C++. According to them, the setup fails to complete on their PC.
- Microsoft Visual C++ unspecified error – Sometimes you might get an Unspecified error message. This can be a big problem, but you should be able to fix it using one of our solutions.
- Microsoft Visual C++ keeps crashing – Another relatively common problem with Visual C++ is frequent crashing. To fix the problem, you just have to reinstall Visual C++ Redistributables.
How can I fix Microsoft Visual C++ runtime library error?
1. Remove your graphics card driver
- In the Search bar enter device manager. Select Device Manager from the list of results.
- Expand the Display adapters section and right click your graphics card. Select the Uninstall device option from the menu.
- A confirmation menu will now appear. Check Delete the driver software for this device and click on Uninstall.
- Close the Device Manager window as well as the other windows you have opened.
- Reboot your Windows 10 PC.
Your graphics card driver can often cause Microsoft Visual C++ runtime error, and to fix it you need to reinstall your graphics card driver.
Check to see if you still get the Microsoft Visual C++ runtime error. If you do not then it means that you need to update your graphics card driver to the latest version that is compatible with your Windows 10 system version.
To see how to update your drivers, we advise you to check our guide on how to update your graphics card driver.
2. Perform a clean boot
- Press Windows Key + R and enter msconfig. Now press Enter or click OK to run it.
- Now you have the System Configuration window in front of you. Left-click or tap on the Services tab situated in the upper side in this window.
- Check the box next to Hide all Microsoft services. Left-click or tap on the Disable all button afterward.
- Left-click or tap on the General tab situated in the upper side of this window.
- Check the Selective startup feature.
- Uncheck the box next to Load startup items. Click Apply and OK to save changes.
- Reboot your Windows 10 PC.
Sometimes third-party and startup applications can interfere with your system and cause Microsoft Visual C++ runtime error to appear. To fix this problem, you need to perform a clean boot.
Check now to see if you still get the Microsoft Visual C++ runtime error. If you do not get the error anymore you will have to do this step but this time disable the applications one by one and see exactly which of them is causing this error to appear.
3. Reinstall Windows 10
- You will have to completely reinstall the Windows 10 operating system by following the link below.
- After you successfully reinstalled the operating system following the tutorial below, you will have to make sure that you do not update your PC until Microsoft fixes the issues with Visual C++ runtime error.
FAQ: Learn more about runtime errors in Windows 10
- What is the difference between runtime error and syntax error?
Runtime errors often occur due to performing illegal operations, while syntax errors are a clue that you are not using proper syntax in coding.
- What causes runtime errors in C++?
Most of the time, runtime errors in C++ are caused by poor programming practices. The program simply cannot handle the data it has been received.
- How do you prevent runtime errors?
To prevent runtime errors, try to have better install an uninstall habit when it comes to using your PC, otherwise things can escalate to more serious issues such as BSoDs.