- Uplay is Ubisoft's game distribution platform. Similar to Steam or Battle.net, the client is used to purchase and install games, as well as interact with friends.
- With games getting increasingly larger, the need to move a game to another drive is higher. Today we're showing you just how easy it is to do this.
- For similar guides and fixes we recommend our Uplay page where we regularly post new articles about this launcher.
- Our Gaming Hub is the best place for the latest news, guides and fixes from the gaming world.
If you’re an Ubisoft fan, than you’re already aware of their desktop client, Uplay.
With Uplay, you can access your favourite games at any time and enjoy a relaxing gaming session on your Windows 10 PC.
If you have an SSD, it’s a great idea to move the games there, as it will make them snappier and the loading times will improve significantly.
But to get any performance gains, you’ll first have to move them. Keep reading to find out how you can easily move your games to another drive or PC.
uPlay how to move games to another drive/ computer
1. Manually move the game files
- Completely close Uplay. If needed, go to Task Manager and end any Uplay related process.
- Now go into the folder in which you installed your game that you want to move.
- Copy the game folder (or your entire Uplay/ubisoft game launcher folder) and paste it to the new drive/partition. Make sure to use copy and not cut, just to have a backup in case that something goes wrong.
- After you’ve copied the folder, go back to the original folder (the original game folder or the original Uplay/ubisoft game launcher folder) and rename it by adding something like “bak” or “old”.
- If you moved only a game, just launch Uplay. If you moved the entire Uplay folder, make sure to update your Uplay shortcut so that it points to the uplay.exe from your new drive/partition. Then open Uplay.
- When Uplay starts, it checks the folder location of your installed games. Because you renamed the game folder, Uplay will think that the game is not installed. In Uplay, go to Games > My Games > find your game on the list > click it.
- On the game‘s page, under Download, click on Locate installed game and point it to the new location where you copied your game and the new drive/partition.
- A window will show up and it everything goes as planned, it should say All game files have been successfully validated.
If you have multiple games, you’ll have to repeat the process for each one.
2. Move uPlay games on another PC by reinstalling the client
- If you want to move your games on another PC, first you’ll have to install Uplay on the new PC.
- Download the latest version of Uplay from Ubisoft’s official website.
- After that, run the installer with Administrator rights.
- Follow the on-screen steps from the installation wizard and after it finishes, restart your PC.
- Now you’ll have to manually back up Uplay save files. On the old PC, go to Uplay’s default installation directory and locate the savegames folder.
- Right-click the savegames folder and select Copy.
- Paste the folder on a flash drive to move it to the new PC.
- Insert the flash drive in the new PC and copy the savegames folder in the Ubisoft Game Launcher folder.
And that’s it. As you can see, it’s not that hard to move your games to a new drive/partition or even on a new Windows 10 PC. Just follow the mentioned steps carefully and you’ll be done in no time.
Remember to always create backups of your files, just in case something goes wrong.
If you have any other suggestions or questions, feel free to reach for the comments section below.
FAQ: Moving and changing games on uPlay
- How do I change my Uplay game directory?
To change the default installation directory in uPlay, open the client and go to Settings (hamburger button in the top left corner), then to Downloads > Change (under the Default game installation location).
- How do I add games to Uplay?
If you have purchased a game which is redeemable on uPlay, copy your key and click on the hamburger button in the top left-hand side of the uPlay client. Then go to Activate a key and paste the key in the text box and click Activate.
- How do I verify a game on Uplay?
Click on the game you wish to verify go to Properties and under Local Files, click on Verify Files. Note: This will only work with games downloaded and installed through uPlay.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in September 2019 and has been since revamped and updated in March 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.