- The MTG Arena error updating data can occur due to several reasons including issues with your ISP and servers.
- To fix the error try disabling the Windows proxy along with Windows Defender Firewall.
- If you want to explore this subject more, check out our Troubleshooting game section.
- For more MTG Arena and other game-related recommendations and troubleshooting guides bookmark our Gaming section.
MTG Arena is a free to play digital collectible card game available on the Windows platform. However, several users have reported an updating data error when trying to launch the game.
The full error reads:
Error updating data: check your connection and try again
This error usually occurs due to a wrong proxy configuration, restrictions by your ISP , or issues with the game servers.
If you are also troubled by this error, here are a couple of troubleshooting tips to helps you resolve the MTG Arena error updating data in your Windows computer.
How do I fix the MTG Arena error updating data?
1. Turn off Windows proxy settings
- Make sure MTG Arena is fully closed.
- Press the Windows Key + I to open Settings.
- Open Network and Internet.
- From the left pane, click on Proxy.
- Toggle the switch under Automatically detect settings to disable the option.
- Next, turn on the Use Setup Script option.
- Scroll down to the Manual proxy setup section.
- Disable Use a proxy server option and set it to off.
- Close Windows Settings.
Launch MTG Arena and check if the app can check for updates without any error. Wait for the updates to download and install. Once installed, relaunch the app and check if the error is resolved.
2. Use a VPN
- Fire up your VPN client.
- Connect to a different region’s server.
- Launch MGT Arena and try to update the game.
If MTG Arena updates without any error, it is possible that the error is occurring due to the restrictions placed by your ISP or the game server failing to establish a connection.
A VPN client usually helps you to bypass ISP and region-based restrictions on games and other contents online.
We have reviewed the best VPN for gaming that allows you to bypass restrictions and access region-restricted content.
3. Disable firewall and antivirus
Disable Windows Defender Firewall
- Press Windows Key + I.
- Click on Network and Internet.
- Open Windows Security.
- Click on Firewall and Network Protection.
- Click on your currently active network.
- Toggle the switch to turn off Windows Defender Firewall.
Once disabled, launch MTG Arena and check if the error is resolved. If the issue persists, disable your antivirus temporarily. Most of the antivirus offers an option to disable the protection for a few minutes or hours.
4. Use Epic Games launcher
Note: This step requires you to uninstall MTG Arena and then reinstall it via the Epic Games launcher.
Uninstall MTG Arena
- Exit MTG Arena if running.
- Press Windows Key + R to open Run.
- Type appwiz.cpl and click OK to open Control Panel.
- Select MTG Arena (Magic the Gathering Online) from the list of installed apps.
- Click on Uninstall.
- Click Yes to confirm the action.
Once uninstalled, reinstall MTG Arena using Epic Games launcher. Here is how to do it.
- Download the Epic Games installer.
- Once downloaded, run the installer. Wait till the launcher is installed.
- Launch Epic Games launcher, and search for MTG Arena.
- Download and install MTG Arena.
- Launch the game and check if the error is resolved.
If disabling Windows proxy and enabling the VPN client didn’t work, install Epic Games launcher as MTG Arena is available on Epic Games store as well.
The MTG Arena error updating data can occur due to several reasons. To troubleshoot the error, try disabling the proxy settings and using a VPN client. If the issue persists, install Epic Games launcher to play MTG Arena without the error.
FAQs: Learn more about MTG Arena update error
- How do I update my MTG Arena?
MTG Arena automatically updates when you launch the launcher. To manually update the game, then navigate to the installation folder and double-click on the MTGALauncher to run the update and launch Arena.
- Why is MTG Arena not working?
MTG Arena may stop working due to several reasons. Check your network connectivity for issues, disable the antivirus and Windows Defender Firewall, or try using a VPN.
- Can’t connect to MTGA?
If you are unable to connect to MTGA, restart your PC and the router. Connect to a different network if available and also disable Windows Defender Firewall and proxy settings.