- The MTG Arena error regarding updating data is often related to bad proxy configurations and ISP problems.
- To easily solve this issue, make sure to check your proxy settings by using the steps detailed below.
- Ensuring Windows is not blocking the app is ideal when getting the updating data MTGA error.
- Your ISP might restrict your data usage, so don’t hesitate to apply our trick in that regard as well.
MTG Arena is a free-to-play digital collectible card game available on the Windows platform. However, several users have reported an updating data error when trying to launch the game.
The full error reads:
Error updating data: check your connection and try again
This error usually occurs due to a wrong proxy configuration, restrictions by your ISP, or issues with the game servers.
If you are also troubled by this error, here are a couple of troubleshooting tips to helps you resolve the MTG Arena error updating data in your Windows computer.
How do I fix the MTG Arena error updating data?
1. Turn off Windows proxy settings
- Make sure MTG Arena is fully closed.
- Press the Windows Key + I to open Settings.
- Open Network and Internet.
- From the left pane, click on Proxy.
- Toggle the switch under Automatically detect settings to disable the option.
- Next, turn on the Use Setup Script option.
- Scroll down to the Manual proxy setup section.
- Disable Use a proxy server option and set it to off.
- Close Windows Settings.
Launch MTG Arena and check if the app can check for updates without any error. Wait for the updates to download and install. Once installed, relaunch the app and check if the error is resolved.
2. Use a VPN
- Fire up your VPN client.
- Connect to a different region’s server.
- Launch MGT Arena and try to update the game.
If MTG Arena updates without any error, it is possible that the error is occurring due to the restrictions placed by your ISP or the game server failing to establish a connection.
A VPN client usually helps you to bypass ISP and region-based restrictions on games and other contents online.
We have reviewed the best VPN for gaming that allows you to bypass restrictions and access region-restricted content.
Private Internet Access
Use PIA and enjoy best VPN Service while keeping your data private and safe.
3. Disable firewall and antivirus
- Press Windows Key + I.
- Click on Network and Internet.
- Open Windows Security.
- Click on Firewall and Network Protection.
- Click on your currently active network.
- Toggle the switch to turn off Windows Defender Firewall.
Once disabled, launch MTG Arena and check if the error is resolved. If the issue persists, disable your antivirus temporarily. Most antivirus offers an option to disable the protection for a few minutes or hours.
4. Use Epic Games launcher
Uninstall MTG Arena
- Exit MTG Arena if it’s running.
- Press Windows Key + R to open Run.
- Type appwiz.cpl and click OK to open Control Panel.
- Select MTG Arena (Magic the Gathering Online) from the list of installed apps.
- Click on Uninstall.
- Click Yes to confirm the action.
Note: This step requires you to uninstall MTG Arena and then reinstall it via the Epic Games launcher.
Once uninstalled, reinstall MTG Arena using Epic Games launcher. Here is how to do it.
Reinstall MTG Arena
- Download the Epic Games installer.
- Once downloaded, run the installer. Wait till the launcher is installed.
- Launch Epic Games launcher, and search for MTG Arena.
- Download and install MTG Arena.
- Launch the game and check if the error is resolved.
If disabling Windows proxy and enabling the VPN client didn’t work, install Epic Games launcher as MTG Arena is available on Epic Games store as well.
The MTG Arena error updating data can occur due to several reasons. To troubleshoot the error, try disabling the proxy settings and using a VPN client. If the issue persists, install Epic Games launcher to play MTG Arena without the error.
We hope this article solved your problem. Feel free to tell us, and give any other feedback regarding the subject in the comment section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Usually, the antivirus or firewall will block the installer. Take a closer look at this useful article dedicated to solving MTG Arena Installer errors.
MTG Arena may have trouble updating due to network connection problems, so make sure to use this interesting guide dedicated to fixing MTG Arena error updating data.
It might be because DEP is on. Try turning it off in the Windows Settings. Follow the steps of this quick article dedicated to solving your crashing issues and launch errors.