- One benefit of having a local network is that you can transfer large files much more easily between two or more computers. It's like a super power, really.
- But a network error such as 0x8007003b might mess up your plans. Maybe the file is too big for a FAT32 drive. Or your firewall is blocking the connection. Whatever it is, we have you covered.
- Our home network has grown like never before in the last few years with so many new devices. For any issues, check out the Network Errors section. It has guides and software recommendations.
- Is Windows giving you a headache? No need to worry. Visit the Windows 10 Errors Troubleshooting section and you will find the information to fix your issue.
The 0x8007003b error message window states, 0x8007003B: An unexpected network error occurred. Consequently, the Windows 8 or 10 users can’t transfer all files across their VPNs.
These are a few potential fixes that might resolve error 0x8007003b.
Solutions to fix network error 0x8007003b
Scan for Malware
Error 0x8007003b can be due to malware, so an anti-virus on-demand scan might resolve the issue. You can utilize Windows Defender to scan for malware, since it’s already built in. But an even better idea is to use Malwarebytes as it’s a really effective utility.
It’s a bit more specialized than your day to day antivirus which, by the way, you should have. It’s really useful against spyware and can prevent ransomware attacks on your system and network. Many IT Pros use Malwarebytes as a tool to recover an infected system and bring it back to life.
Malwarebytes is the best software currently available that protects your PC from ransomware and spyware attacks.
When you’ve added the software to Windows, press the Scan Now button on the Malwarebytes window to initiate a scan. The utility will automatically purge malware.
Temporarily Switch off Anti-Virus Software
If malware isn’t the issue, temporarily disable your third-party anti-virus software. The anti-virus software could be interfering with the file transfer.
You can usually switch off an anti-virus utility by right-clicking its system tray icon and selecting a disable option on its context menu.
Select to disable the utility for about 15-30 minutes, and then try to copy the file again.
While we are on this subject, now it might be a good time to reconsider your choices. Don’t you want an anti-virus that let’s you perform your tasks in peace?
Bullguard is a great choice since it doesn’t nag you unnecessarily, it’s low on your computer resources and quite good looking to top it off.
Plus, it’s reliable having a really good scanning engine that received many prizes.
Uses Artificial Intelligence to scan and detect malware, making it a top choice
Switch the Windows Firewall off
The Windows Firewall can also get in the way of file transfers. It is, after all, a network wall of sorts; so switching that firewall off could fix error 0x8007003b.
This is how you can switch the Windows Firewall off.
- Press the Cortana button on the taskbar to open the app’s search box. Enter firewall in Cortana’s search box.
- Select to open the Windows Firewall Control Panel tab below.
- Click Turn Windows Firewall on or off to open a Customize Settings tab.
- Select both the Turn off Windows Firewall options on the Customize Settings tab, and press the OK button.
- Then restart the Windows OS.
Switch the Windows Search Service off
- Switching the Windows Search Service can also resolve error 0x8007003b. To switch the Windows Search Service off, press the Win key + R hotkey to open Run.
- Enter services.msc in Run and press Return to open the Services window.
- Double-click Windows Search to open the window directly below.
- Select Disabled from the Startup type drop-down menu.
- Press the Apply and OK buttons to confirm the new setting and close window.
Check the Destination Hard Drive’s Format
Another thing to note is if the destination hard drive for the file is FAT32 formatted. You can’t transfer files any larger than 4 GB to a FAT32 hard drive.
To check a hard drive’s file system in Win 10, open File Explorer, click This PC, right-click the C: drive and select Properties.
That will open the General tab which includes file system details for the hard drive.
If your hard drive’s file system is FAT32, then you’ll need to split up any file larger than 4 GB to copy it to the PC. You can split files up with software such as MP4 Tools, HJ-Split, File Splitter and Video Splitter.
Or you can split archived files with the 7-Zip utility. Check out this article for further details on how to split files.
Scan Files With the System File Checker
Windows 10’s System File Checker might also come in handy for fixing error 0x8007003b. A wide variety of Windows issues can be due to corrupted system files.
You can initiate an SFC scan as follows.
- Enter cmd in Cortana’s search box.
- Right-click the Command Prompt and select Run as administrator to open it.
- Input sfc /scannow in the Command Prompt, and press the Enter key.
- The SFC will then weave its magic. It might not detect any corrupted system files at all, but restart Windows if the SFC does repair some files.
Revert Windows Back to a Restore Point
It might be the case that a recently installed program has interfered with Windows settings. If that’s the case, restoring the platform to a previous date might also fix the 0x8007003B error.
The System Restore tool will remove all third-party software installed after a selected restore point and undo system changes. This is how you can utilize System Restore.
- Open Cortana and enter system restore in its search box. Select Create a restore point to open the System Properties window.
- Press the System Restore button to open the restore utility.
- Select the Choose a different restore point radio button and click Next.
- Select the Show more restore points option to expand the listed restore points.
- Now choose a restore point that will remove recently installed software. Note that you can select a Scan for affected programs option which lists the software installed after a selected restore point.
- Click Next > Finish to restore Windows.
As Microsoft doesn’t have an official fix for error 0x8007003b nothing is guaranteed. However, one or more of the above resolutions might fix the 0x8007003b error.
Scanning your system with system repair utilities covered in this software guide might also resolve the issue.
FAQ: Learn more about network error 0x8007003b
- Why am I getting a network error?
A network errors usually occurs either because of poor Internet connectivity or because firewall rules and restrictions.
- Why do my downloads keep failing?
The firewall might be blocking connections that have been active for too long. Or multiple connections to the same server might be limited and thus the downloading process stops without completing the task.
- How can I copy large files to fat32 without converting to NTFS?
One option you have is to put all files in one archive which you will split into volumes no larger than 4GB each.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in September 2017 and has been since revamped and updated in May 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.