- If there is no sound on your PC after installing AVG, maybe it interferes with your audio device.
- To resolve this issue, you can try to update your drivers, manually or using a dedicated tool.
- Malware can also cause audio problems. Thus, make sure to perform a full scan on your PC.
- Reinstalling AVG if it's blocking the sound is another solution that worked for many users.
Some Windows users reported that after installing AVG Antivirus program, their audio device seems not to be working. If you belong to this category, we’ve got you covered.
There are several reasons for this problem which include a virus, or malware infection, missing system files, outdated audio device driver, and AVG installation process itself.
However, we have come up with solutions to this sound problem, and, hopefully, your issue will be solved after following them.
Secure your devices with award-winning cybersecurity technology.
Best security tool for intense browsing activity.
Keep secure with groundbreaking AI detection and prevention technology.
Browse the web securely for up to 3 devices across Windows, Mac, iOS or Android systems.
Prevent data breaches and malware infections with user-friendly controls.
What can I do to solve sound issues after AVG install?
1. Run a full system scan with Windows Defender
- Press the start button and select Settings.
- Select Update & Security.
- From the left pane select Windows Security and select Virus & threat protection.
- In the new window, click the Scan options button.
- Check the Full scan option to launch a full system malware scan.
Viruses and malware can cause damage to your audio device. Run a full system scan on your PC to remove every possible virus corruption.
2. Run the CHKDSK command
- Go to Start and type command prompt.
- Right-click on it, and select Run as administrator.
- Now, type:
CHKDSK C: /F
- Hence, type the following command in the Command Prompt and hit the Enter key:
CHKDSK C: /R
- After CHKDSK process, restart your PC and attach the second hard drive afterward.
Another way of fixing the no sound after AVG install problem is to perform CHKDSK on your Hard Drive.
Check Disk operation checks for and fixes Disk error which could be responsible for the no sound problem on your PC. Also, it prevents the loss of program data.
3. Update the audio device driver
- Go to Start and type Device Manager in the search box and select Open.
- On the left pane, locate the Sound, video, and game controllers section, and then press the arrow to expand it.
- Hence, right-click on the audio device driver, and then click on the Update driver option to proceed.
- After the update, restart your PC.
Another applicable solution is to update your audio device driver to the latest version. You may use Device Manager to update the driver.
However, we strongly recommend you to use a tool that will automatically detect, and download all the outdated drivers on your Windows 10 computer.
Finding them on your own is time-consuming, and, sometimes you can install the wrong drivers, causing even more issues to your computer.
Some of the most common Windows errors and bugs are a result of old or incompatible drivers. The lack of an up-to-date system can lead to lag, system errors or even BSoDs.To avoid these types of problems, you can use an automatic tool that will find, download, and install the right driver version on your Windows PC in just a couple of clicks, and we strongly recommend DriverFix. Here’s how to do it:
- Download and install DriverFix.
- Launch the application.
- Wait for DriverFix to detect all your faulty drivers.
- The software will now show you all the drivers that have issues, and you just need to select the ones you’d liked fixed.
- Wait for DriverFix to download and install the newest drivers.
- Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
Drivers will no longer create any problems if you download and use this powerful software today.
Disclaimer: this program needs to be upgraded from the free version in order to perform some specific actions.
4. Reinstall AVG program
- Go to Start and type Control Panel. Select it from the search results.
- Choose Programs and Features.
- In the Programs and Features window, locate and uninstall AVG Antivirus.
- After the complete uninstall, restart your PC.
- Go to the official AVG website to download the program. Or, you can use the software CD you used for the prior installation.
- Double-click on the executable file, and then follow the prompts to complete the new install of AVG.
In addition, you may also consider reinstalling the AVG Antivirus program on your PC. Some Windows users reported that after reinstalling the AVG problem, they were able to fix the sound issue.
However, antiviruses tend to be a little stubborn when speaking of uninstalling. If you encounter issues, use our comprehensive guide to completely remove AVG.
5. Use System Restore
- Press down the power button until the Automatic Repair message appears.
- Go to Troubleshoot- Advanced options -System Restore.
- Now, select your username and enter your password.
- Click on Next, select the desired restore point and follow the instructions on the screen to restore your PC.
- After your PC is restored, check if the problem still appears.
System Restore is a Windows feature that enables you to reinstate your system to a previous state and fix any recent problems most especially the sound issue.
If you want to find out more about System Restore, what is and how to use it, don’t hesitate to check our dedicated guide.
6. Run Windows Update
- Go to Start and type update in the search box and then click on Check for Update to proceed.
- In the Windows Update window, click the check for updates button and install the available updates.
- After the update is complete, restart your Windows PC, and then test your audio device.
Microsoft constantly releases Windows updates so as to improve the system’s stability and fix various issues and errors on your PC.
The above solutions are confirmed to work by many users. Follow them closely in order to solve your sound error as well.
If Avast is causing you other issues, you can consider replacing it with any of these best lifetime license antivirus tools.
We’d love to hear from you. Share in the comments section below whether these solutions helped with the no sound after AVG install problem.