- If you're a long-time Omegle user, you might be familiar with the Omegle error connecting to server issue.
- The server connection error might be triggered by several things, but we can teach you how to fix the issue in each case.
- Check out our best VPNs that can help you bypass Omegle IP restrictions.
- Visit the How-To Hub to discover more VPN guides for common and uncommon issues.
If you’re a long-time Omegle user, you might be familiar with the Omegle error connecting to server issue.
It seems to occur randomly every now and then and doesn’t have a clear reason for happening, which makes it even more confusing.
What is Omegle?
In case you’re new to Omegle, this service used to be a popular website that lets you pair with random strangers online and chat. It still is popular, only the hype is not exactly the same as back in the day.
You could talk to others by means of sending text messages (instant-messaging), but you could also video- and voice-chat with them. Thus, it’s not exactly hard to see what made Omegle so appealing.
What causes Omegle server connection error?
From what we were able to notice, Omegle can trigger a server connection error in a few cases:
- Your IP has been marked and you’ve been suspended from using Omegle
- Omegle has some server-side issues that you can’t do anything about
- Your PC or ISP might block Omegle connection attempts for you
- Outdated configuration settings in your browser/PC (DNS, cache, cookies)
These reasons seem simple at first sight, but getting around each underlying cause can be wildly different. Therefore, it’s quite important to rule out certain causes and isolate the correct one, if you want to save yourself some time.
How to fix Omegle error connecting to server?
1. Try using another device
This is by far one of the easiest fixes that are worth trying out. If you have another Internet-enabled device that can access Omegle, go ahead and try connecting to the service.
If you receive the same error, at least you know it’s not your device that’s triggering the Omegle server connection error.
2. Connect from another network
Even if your device doesn’t seem to be blocking Omegle, your network could still have some strict firewall rules. If you want to rule that out, as well, try connecting from another network, if possible.
The best way (that’s also free) to achieve this is locating a public Wi-Fi, connecting to the Internet through it, and trying to access Omegle once more.
If this fix works, either your IP has been blocked by Omegle’s servers, or your ISP has some strict rules against using this service.
3. Try using a VPN
- Purchase a Private Internet Access subscription plan
- Download PIA on your computer
- Install the VPN client
- Launch PIA
- Log into your account
- Connect to an optimal server (nearest ones are usually the fastest)
- Try connecting to Omegle and see if you still get the error connecting to server message
Private Internet Access is a great VPN service provided to you by Kape Technologies. It’s one of the few VPN services that offer 24/7 live chat support for customers.
Aside from its obvious privacy and security tools that can help you browse the Internet safely and anonymously, this service has some more features that make it worth giving it a shot.
Private Internet Access
Tired of Omegle error connecting to server? Try using PIA for a change.
Last, but not least, if your IP has been banned or blacklisted by Omegle, a VPN can help you circumvent this situation. PIA assigns you a different IP whenever you connect to one of its servers.
More so, if your ISP blocks your access to Omegle, PIA can also help you dodge this rude restriction.
4. Clear your browser’s cache
This fix is more often than not as effective as turning your PC off and on again. It’s so simple to do, yet still overlooked by many.
Before you get all frustrated because of Omegle’s error connecting to the server message, try clearing your browser’s cached content and cookies.
Reload the page and see if you still experience the same issue. You could also try turning off your extensions, as some of them might conflict with Omegle.
5. Flush your DNS
- Press the Win key on your keyboard
- Type CMD and right-click the Command Prompt icon
- Select Run as administrator
- Type the following commands, one by one, in this precise order:
- ipconfig /flushdns
- ipconfig /registerdns
- ipconfig /release
- ipconfig /renew
- netsh winsock reset
- Restart your computer
- Check if the problem still persists
6. Restart your router/modem
Simply unplugging your modem and/or router for a minute or so and plugging them back in can fix a lot of connectivity issues.
If you have a dynamic IP, restarting your router (depends on your subscription) can assign you a new IP address.
The downside is that you’ll probably have to wait for your connection to re-establish, especially if you’re behind a double-NAT configuration.
Final thoughts on fixing Omegle error connecting to server
All things considered, if you’re an Omegle enthusiast, stumbling upon the error connecting to server message can be disappointing and somewhat frustrating.
However, more often than not, the cause of this issue is not exactly unsolvable and can be bypassed with just a bit of patience.
If Omegle experiences server-side issues, that’s the only time you won’t be able to do anything other than wait for a fix.
Using a VPN such as PIA can circumvent ISP restrictions or geoblocking that might impede you from using Omegle, but can also reset your IP, in case Omegle has banned or blacklisted it.
FAQ: Learn more about fixing Omegle server connection error
- How to get unbanned from Omegle?
If your IP address was suspended or banned on Omegle, you can use a VPN such as PIA to circumvent this restriction.
- Do any VPNs work with Omegle?
It’s possible that Omegle can detect less-popular VPNs and prevent you from accessing the website. Check out our best VPNs that are less likely to be detected by Omegle.
- What is geoblocking?
Geoblocking is the process through which certain services are restricted to a select few countries. We refer to the services as being geoblocked or geo-restricted.
- Can VPN change location?
Yes, most VPNs can change your location. Some of the best VPNs can change your location and avoid detection by restrictive firewalls, thus avoiding VPN blocks without a hiccup.