How to open DDS files in Windows 10
DDS (Direct Draw Surface) is an image file format that Microsoft established with DirectX 7.0. Microsoft established DDS as a container format for raster images with compressed and decompressed pixels. This file format is primarily for saving graphics textures and game maps. However, DDS is not among the most widely supported image file formats, so you might wonder how to open DDS files in Windows 10.
We made sure to provide you with a set of tools that can open the DDS file extension.
How can I open DDS files?
1. Open the DDS With DDS Viewer
- DDS Viewer is a freeware program specifically for opening Microsoft DirectDraw Surface files. To open files with that program, click Download DDS viewer Setup on the software’s download page.
- Open the installer for DSS Viewer to add the program to Windows.
- Launch the DDS Viewer software.
- Then select a DDS file on the Open window.
- Click the Open button.
- Users can resize the DDS file by entering alternative values in the Width and Height boxes and clicking the green tick button.
- Press the Rotate Image Left and Rotate Image Right buttons to rotate the DDS file.
2. Open the DDS With File Viewer Plus
File Viewer Plus is universal file opener software for Windows 10, 8.1, and 7 that users can open DDS images with. That software is currently retailing at $29.95, but users can try out a trial version for a couple of weeks. Click the Free Download button on that software’s website to get the setup wizard for File Viewer Plus. Then users can install the Fill Viewer Plus with the setup wizard, launch the software, and open DDS images with it.
3. Add NVIDIA Texture Tools Plugin to Photoshop
- Adobe Photoshop users can open DDS files with an additional NVIDIA Texture Tools plug-in. Click Download on the NVIDIA Texture Tools page.
- Then click either 32 or 64-bit Windows to download an installer that will install an NVIDIA Texture Tools plug-in that’s compatible with your system architecture.
- Click the Photoshop_Plugin installer to install the plug-in.
- After installing the plug-in, click Filter in Photoshop.
- Select NvTools > NormalMapFilter to open the window shown directly below. That window includes numerous options for DDS files open in Photoshop.
4. Convert the DDS File to PNG
- Alternatively, users can convert DDS files to PNG images that they can open with most editing software. To do that, open the Aconvert DDS to PNG converter in a browser.
- Click Choose files to select a DDS file to convert.
- Then click PNG in the Target format drop-down menu if it’s not already selected.
- Press the Convert Now button.
- Then click the Save option to download the new PNG image.
RELATED ARTICLES TO CHECK OUT:
- How to open PNG files on Windows 10 computers
- Here’s how to open TGA files in Windows 10
- How to open .tif files in Windows 10 without compromising on quality
Google Chrome is the most popular browser out there. It is a reliable tool to surf the Internet and has many great features. However, nothing […]
Uplay is an amazing game distribution platform created by Ubisoft. It can be used to buy and download games as well as DLCs. It can […]