- Whenever installing a new program on Windows 10, you should always make sure you document yourself on whether it is compatible with your OS or not.
- Sometimes, you will be prompted with an error message stating that the OS is not configured to run that application due to software issues.
- That is why you should follow the steps in this guide and resolve the compatibility issue with your Windows 10 PC.
Have you recently upgraded your OS to Windows 10? Then you probably have seen the annoying The operating system is not presently configured to run this application error whenever you want to launch any Microsoft Office 365 applications.
This can affect anything from Skype and Outlook to Excel or Word, and it does not stop there. Follow along to find out what to do about it!
Why does The operating system not presently configured to run this application error appear?
Not one app is responsible for sending out this error message. Instead, the error message is being generated by Microsoft Office, and it lets you know that there is a problem with the installation of Microsoft Office on your computer.
This prevents other Office apps and, most likely, a significant number of different applications from the beginning, such as Ableton or Control Panel.
Where else can I find this error?
Users reported a plethora of similar errors and different apps where they showed up, which we will address below. Some of them are the following:
- Control Panel The operating system is not presently configured to run this application – By running a Windows Update, you can fix this error case.
- SolidWorks The operating system is not presently configured to run this application – SolidWorks might experience interference with Microsoft Office’s bad installation, hence the malfunction.
- Word The operating system is not presently configured to run this application – Word is another victim of this error that can be fixed by reinstalling Microsoft Office.
- Office 365 The operating system is not presently configured to run this application – Follow the steps below to find out how to reinstall this easily.
- Office 2013 The operating system is not presently configured to run this application – If reinstalling the app doesn’t work, you will need to tap into your registry.
- Excel 2016 The operating system is not presently configured to run this application – Excel can be fixed by running the program in compatibility mode.
- Office 2016 The operating system is not presently configured to run this application – You might also want to update your drivers.
- Ableton The operating system is not presently configured to run this application – Reinstalling Ableton will ensure it will work correctly.
- Office 2010 The operating system is not presently configured to run this application – Running the Windows Store Apps troubleshooter is another efficient solution.
This error prevents Windows 10 users from successfully launching their applications. Meanwhile, we have compiled solutions that you can use to fix this error quickly.
How do I fix The operating system that is not presently configured to run this application?
1. Run Windows Update
- Press Windows + I to open the Settings app, then click Update & security.
- Click the Check for updates button to update your OS.
- After the Update is complete, restart your Windows PC.
Another way of fixing the error message is by running Windows Update. Microsoft constantly releases Windows updates to improve the system’s stability and fix various issues and errors; fixes for Microsoft Office 365 could be included as well in the latest updates.
Most users don’t know what to do when the Windows search box goes missing. Read our article to learn how you can get it back in just a few steps.
2. Repair Microsoft Office installation
- Press the Windows and R keys simultaneously to launch the Run program. Type appwiz.cpl without quotes and click OK.
- Scroll down to locate the Microsoft Office program, click Change, and then choose Repair.
- Select the Full Repair or Online Repair option and wait for the repair process to finish.
- After the repair, reboot your PC and launch the Microsoft Office application.
The installed Microsoft Office program may be corrupted because of the migration process from Windows 10 OS. However, the Microsoft Office program can be repaired from Control Panel.
You may have to fix the error problem by repairing the Microsoft Office installation.
You don’t know what to do when the Windows key stops working? Check out our guide and fix the issue quickly.
3. Repair your file registry
- Press the Windows key, type cmd, and select the Run as administrator option from the right.
- Paste or type the following command and press Enter:
- Wait for the scanning process to complete and then restart your computer.
The corrupted file registry may be responsible for the Operating system is not presently configured to run this application error message. In addition, this corruption manipulates Microsoft Office 365 program file data; hence, causing the error message.
Use Windows’ in-built System File Checker or third-party utility tools to check for corrupted files, verify the integrity of all system files, and repair the problematic files.
It is a safer option for your PC’s working state because it solves the impediment automatically. On top of that, you save a lot of time by using this kind of tool.
Restoro does a complete scan of your PC’s issues and provides a thorough system diagnosis within a few moments. The tool fixes malfunctioning grouped and/or individual registry files that affect the performance of your device and restores compromised registry values to their default settings.
Here’s how you can perform this action:
- Download and install Restoro.
- Launch Restoro.
- Wait for it to find any system stability issues and possible malware infections.
- Press Start Repair.
- Restart your PC for all the changes to take effect.
In case the registry keys have been damaged severely, you can allow Restoro to replace them with new and healthy ones from its online repository.
The software brings your Windows Registry to an optimized state, helping your device function properly, without any errors.
Disclaimer: This program needs to be upgraded from the free version in order to perform some specific actions.
4. Run Microsoft Office Diagnostics
- Press Windows and type Microsoft office diagnostics. From the search result, click on Microsoft Office Diagnostics to launch the program.
- Follow the prompts and click on Start Diagnostics.
Another way of fixing the error problem is by running Microsoft Office diagnostics. This troubleshooting tool identifies the problem and fixes it to ensure the smooth running of Microsoft Office.
5. Reinstall Microsoft Office
- Press Windows + I to open Settings then go to Apps.
- Search for the Microsoft Office app, click it and select Uninstall.
- Go to the offical website and download Microsoft Office.
- Install Microsoft Office and then reboot your PC.
Note: In addition, you will also require genuine license/activation details in order to proceed with the fresh installation of Microsoft Office.
Also, you can uninstall Microsoft Office package on your PC and install a fresh copy on your Windows 10 PC. Reinstalling Microsoft Office can get rid of the error problem on your PC.
To safely uninstall Microsoft Office we suggest you try a professional uninstaller tool that will remove any application in seconds.
Then, you have available the solution of entirely removing the wanted application, using the best uninstaller software for Windows 10 PCs.
6. Run the Program in compatibility mode
- On the desktop or where the actual application is, right-click the application shortcut and click Properties.
- Here, select the Compatibility tab, and check the box Run this program in compatibility mode for: From the drop-down list, select any older edition of Windows to run the program with.
- Lastly, click OK to run the program.
Some applications not optimized for newer operating systems cannot adapt which causes the error message. By running your program in compatibility mode, the Windows 10 OS will enable the application to run in an older version of Windows.
Note: You can also use Compatibility Administrator; this is one of the latest tools by Microsoft which fixes programs that do not run Windows. It makes the program compatible with Windows PCs. You can download Compatibility Administrator and install it on your Windows PC.
For more information concerning how to use Compatibility Administrator, visit the official Microsoft Compatibility Administrator website.
7. Update your drivers
- Right-click the Start icon then select Device Manager.
- Expand each section one by one then right-click the driver and select Update driver.
Many users confirmed they fixed this problem by updating their drivers. So, go ahead and install the latest driver updates for your GPU, peripherals, and so on. Restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
If you want to manage all your drivers more efficiently, you can update or install any drivers from your PC with automated software like DriverFix.
How do I fix The operating system is not presently configured to run this application on Windows 11?
- Press Windows + I then scroll down to the Troubleshoot option and click it.
- Next, click Other troubleshooters.
- Lastly, go to the Windows Store Apps troubleshooter and click Run next to it.
In conclusion, make sure you have a genuine Microsoft Office key before you proceed with any of the fixes that require installation repair.
Do you have any questions regarding this guide? Feel free to leave them along with any other suggestions in the comments section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
The OS configuration error can be caused by faulty registries. If you want to know how to fix such issues, check out this comprehensive and complete guide.
One way to access your operating system is to simply log into a PC with your Microsoft account. If you have issues logging into it, read up on this guide for more information.
When this error message occurs, users will be unable to launch the program the error message refers to.