- Whenever installing a new program on Windows 10, you should always make sure you document yourself on whether it is compatible with your OS or not.
- Sometimes, due to software issues, you will be prompted with an error message stating that the OS is not configured to run that application, and that is when you should follow the steps listed in this guide.
- This guide is just one of many that we've included in our dedicated hub for fixing Windows 10 issues, so make sure you save it because you may need it again.
- For more great solutions for common Windows 10 issues, check out our Fix page.
Have you recently upgraded your OS to Windows 10? Then you probably have seen the annoying The operating system is not presently configured to run this application error whenever you want to launch any Microsoft Office 365 applications.
This post will help you to solve this problem.
This error prevents Windows 10 users from successfully launching their applications. Meanwhile, we have compiled solutions which you can use to quickly fix this error.
What can I do if the OS is not configured to run certain apps?
- Repair your file registry
- Run Windows Update
- Repair Microsoft Office installation
- Reinstall Microsoft Office
- Run Microsoft Office Diagnostics
- Run the Program in compatibility mode
- Update your drivers
1. Repair your file registry
- Go to Start > type cmd > right-click Command Prompt > select Run as Administrator.
- Now type sfc /scannow without quotes and hit Enter.
- Wait for the scanning process to complete and then restart your computer. A
- ll corrupted files will be repaired on reboot.
Corrupted file registry may be responsible for “The operating system is not presently configured to run this application” error message. In addition, this corruption manipulates Microsoft Office 365 program file data; hence, causing the error message.
If you’re having trouble accessing Command Prompt as an admin, then you better take a closer look at this guide.
2. Run Windows Update
- Go to Start > type update in the search box and then click on Windows Update to proceed.
- In the Windows Update window, check for updates and install the available updates.
- After the update is complete, restart your Windows PC.
Another way of fixing the error message is by running Windows Update. Microsoft constantly releases Windows updates so as to improve the system’s stability and fix various issues and errors; fixes for Microsoft Office 365 could be included as well in the latest updates.
Most user don’t know what to do when the Windows search box goes missing. Read this article to learn how you can get it back in just a couple of steps.
3. Repair Microsoft Office installation
- Press the Windows and R keys at the same time to launch the Run program.
- Type appwiz.cpl without quotes and click OK.
- Scroll down to locate Microsoft Office program, click Change, and then choose Repair.
- Select Full Repair or Online Repair option and wait for the repair process to finish.
- After the repair, reboot your PC and launch Microsoft Office application.
You may have to fix the error problem by repairing the Microsoft Office installation.
Note: You need to use genuine license/activation details to re-activate Microsoft Office. Also, Online Repair requires an Internet connection; ensure you have an active Internet connection if you select this option.
You don’t know what to do when the Windows key stops working? Check out this guide and fix the issue easily.
4. Reinstall Microsoft Office
- Download IObit here, install and use it to uninstall Microsoft Office package.
- Go to this website to download Microsoft Office.
- Install Microsoft Office and then reboot your PC.
Note: In addition, you will also require genuine license/activation details in order to proceed with the fresh installation of Microsoft Office.
Also, you can uninstall Microsoft Office package on your PC and install a fresh copy on your Windows 10 PC. Reinstalling Microsoft Office can get rid of the error problem on your PC.
5. Run Microsoft Office Diagnostics
- Press Windows and Q keys at the same time and type Microsoft office diagnostics without quotes.
- From the search result, click on Microsoft Office Diagnostics to launch the program.
- Follow the prompts and click on Start Diagnostics.
- Click on Close option after the troubleshooting.
Another way of fixing the error problem is by running Microsoft Office diagnostics. This troubleshooting tool identifies the problem and fixes it to ensure the smooth running of Microsoft Office.
6. Run the Program in compatibility mode
- On the desktop or where the actual application is, right-click application shortcut and click “Properties”.
- Here, select the Compatibility tab, and check the box Run this program in compatibility mode for:
- From the drop-down list, select any older edition of Windows to run the program with.
- Lastly, click OK to run the program.
Some applications not optimized for newer operating systems cannot adapt which causes the error message. By running your program in the compatibility mode, the Windows 10 OS will enable the application to run in an older version of Windows.
Note: You can also use Compatibility Administrator; this is one of the latest tools by Microsoft which fixes programs that do not run Windows. It makes the program compatible with Windows PCs. You can download Compatibility Administrator here and install it on your Windows PC.
For more information concerning how to use Compatibility Administrator, visit the official Microsoft Compatibility Administrator website.
7. Update your drivers
Many users confirmed they fixed this problem by updating their drivers. So, go ahead and install the latest driver updates for your GPU, peripherals and so on. Restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
In conclusion, make sure you have a genuine Microsoft Office key before you proceed with any of the fixes that require installation repair.
Do you have any questions regarding this guide? Feel free to leave them along with any other suggestions in the comments section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
The OS configuration error can be caused by faulty registries. If you want to know how to fix such issues, check out this comprehensive and complete guide.
One way to access your operating system is to simply log into a PC with your Microsoft account. If you have issues logging into it, read up on this guide for more information.
When this error message occurs, users will be unable to launch the program the error message refers to.