The operating system is not configured to run this application [QUICK GUIDE]
Have you recently upgraded your OS to Windows 10? Then you probably have seen the annoying The operating system is not presently configured to run this application error whenever you want to launch any Microsoft Office 365 applications.
This post will help you to solve this problem.
This error prevents Windows 10 users from successfully launching their applications. Meanwhile, we have compiled solutions which you can use to quickly fix this error.
What can I do if the OS is not configured to run certain apps?
- Repair your file registry
- Run Windows Update
- Repair Microsoft Office installation
- Reinstall Microsoft Office
- Run Microsoft Office Diagnostics
- Run the Program in compatibility mode
- Update your drivers
1. Repair your file registry
Corrupted file registry may be responsible for “The operating system is not presently configured to run this application” error message. In addition, this corruption manipulates Microsoft Office 365 program file data; hence, causing the error message.
Use Windows’ in-built System File Checker or third-party utility tools, like CCleaner to check for corrupted files, verify the integrity of all system files, and repair the problematic files. Follow these steps to run an SFC scan:
- Go to Start > type cmd > right-click Command Prompt > select Run as Administrator.
- Now type “sfc /scannow” without quotes and hit “Enter”.
- Wait for the scanning process to complete and then restart your computer. All corrupted files will be repaired on reboot.
If you’re having trouble accessing Command Prompt as an admin, then you better take a closer look at this guide.
2. Run Windows Update
Another way of fixing the error message is by running Windows Update. Microsoft constantly releases Windows updates so as to improve the system’s stability and fix various issues and errors; fixes for Microsoft Office 365 could be included as well in the latest updates.
You can use these steps to update your Windows OS:
- Go to Start > type “update” in the search box and then click on “Windows Update” to proceed.
- In the Windows Update window, check for updates and install the available updates.
- After the update is complete, restart your Windows PC.
Most user don’t know what to do when the Windows search box goes missing. Read this article to learn how you can get it back in just a couple of steps.
3. Repair Microsoft Office installation
You may have to fix the error problem by repairing the Microsoft Office installation. Here’s how to repair your Microsoft Office:
- Press the “Windows” and “R” keys at the same time to launch the Run program.
- Type “appwiz.cpl” without quotes and click “OK”.
- Scroll down to locate Microsoft Office program, click “Change, and then choose “Repair”.
- Select “Full Repair” or “Online Repair” option and wait for the repair process to finish.
- After the repair, reboot your PC and launch Microsoft Office application.
Note: You need to use genuine license/activation details to re-activate Microsoft Office. Also, “Online Repair” requires an Internet connection; ensure you have an active Internet connection if you select this option.
You don’t know what to do when the Windows key stops working? Check out this guide and fix the issue easily.
4. Reinstall Microsoft Office
Also, you can uninstall Microsoft Office package on your PC and install a fresh copy on your Windows 10 PC. Reinstalling Microsoft Office can get rid of the error problem on your PC. Here’s how to reinstall Microsoft Office on your PC:
- Download IObit here, install and use it to uninstall Microsoft Office package. Alternatively, you can uninstall from Control Panel.
- Go to this website to download Microsoft Office.
- Install Microsoft Office and then reboot your PC.
Note: In addition, you will also require genuine license/activation details in order to proceed with the fresh installation of Microsoft Office.
5. Run Microsoft Office Diagnostics
Another way of fixing the error problem is by running Microsoft Office diagnostics. This troubleshooting tool identifies the problem and fixes it to ensure the smooth running of Microsoft Office. Follow these steps to run Microsoft Office diagnostics:
- Press “Windows” and “Q” keys at the same time and type “Microsoft office diagnostics” without quotes.
- From the search result, click on Microsoft Office Diagnostics to launch the program.
- Follow the prompts and click on “Start Diagnostics”.
- Click on “Close” option after the troubleshooting.
6. Run the Program in compatibility mode
Some applications not optimized for newer operating systems cannot adapt which causes the error message. By running your program in the compatibility mode, the Windows 10 OS will enable the application to run in older version of Windows.
To run the affected program in compatibility mode, follow these steps:
- On the desktop or where the actual application is, right-click application shortcut and click “Properties”.
- Here, select the “Compatibility” tab, and check the box “Run this program in compatibility mode for:
- From the drop-down list, select any older edition of Windows to run the program with.
- Lastly, click OK to run the program.
Note: You can also use Compatibility Administrator; this is one of the latest tool by Microsoft which fixes program that do not run Windows. It makes the program compatible on Windows PCs. You can download Compatibility Administrator here and install on your Windows PC.
For more information concerning how to use Compatibility Administrator, visit the official Microsoft Compatibility Administrator website.
7. Update your drivers
Many users confirmed they fixed this problem by updating their drivers. So, go ahead and install the latest driver updates for your GPU, peripherals and so on. Restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
In conclusion, make sure you have a genuine Microsoft Office key before you proceed with any of the fixes that requires installation repair.
Do you have any questions regarding this guide? Feel free to leave them along with any other suggestions in the comments section below.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- “The operating system cannot run” [Fix]
- Virtualization software: Run different operating systems on Windows 10 with these tools
- Fix: A component of the operating system has expired
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in October 2017 and has been since updated for freshness, and accuracy.
Despite the fact that Chrome is the market holder and the most used browser in the world, it still has some things that can be […]
User data is the next big thing, and the organizations and business are trying to outrun each other in the race. Collecting user data is […]
The HP Deskjet users are reporting issues with the startup error in Windows 10. Namely, at every startup, they see the There was a problem […]