- Pale Moon browser is a privacy-centered web browser that is open source and has an active community.
- While it has been long since Pale Moon's last supported version came out for Windows XP, many are still searching for it.
- In this guide, we will explain to you how you can download the appropriate version of the Pale Moon browser on your Windows XP PC.
Mozilla Firefox is a name in the browser market that is well known and is used mostly by power users who want more from their browsers.
However, in the last few years, even though Google Chrome does not offer many out-of-the-box features, it has been the go-to browser for millions across the globe, making it the most used web browser.
But the base of Firefox is secure and based on it, you will find multiple new browsers. One of which is the Pale Moon browser.
The Pale Moon browser is meant for Microsoft and Linux, and it is an open-source browser. It focuses on providing an efficient browsing experience without hogging the resources.
It also emphasizes privacy and notes that it never tracks or sells your data. The Pale Moon browser has an active community that helps bring new features to the browser.
While the Pale Moon browser has ended support for Windows XP 32/64 bit, if you are still running an old PC with Windows XP and want to know how you can install the Pale Moon browser on it, then this guide is for you.
Here, we will show you the steps and the links that will let you download the most appropriate version of the Pale Moon browser for Windows XP. Let us get right into it.
Does Pale Moon work on Windows XP?
Yes. The Pale Moon browser works on Windows XP, but not the latest version. Pale Moon stopped supporting Windows XP and you won’t be able to install the latest version of the browser.
The last supported version of the Pale Moon browser for Windows XP is Pale Moon 26. Notably, Pale Moon version 26 was released back in 2016, and it misses out on multiple new features that it has to offer in the latest version.
Some of the features that you will find in the latest available versions are:
- Supports Microsoft Silverlight, Unity Web Player, Adobe Flash, etc. plugins
- Comes with an add-on store
- Encrypted sync service
- Offers permissions manager
- Receives regular security updates
- Speedy script processing
The Pale Moon 26 version misses out on the above and more features but is still capable and good enough for a Windows XP PC.
Let us take a look at how you can download the Pale Moon browser on your Windows XP machine.
In case you need a more efficient browser compatible with Windows XP, the most suitable one is Opera. The version for Windows XP is at the bottom of the download page because it’s an older version.
This alternative browser delivers practical integrations with social media apps, enhanced security with a free VPN, and plenty of navigation tools.
Switch to this modern browser that has customizable tools and flexible navigation.
How do I download & install Pale Moon on Windows XP?
1. Download Pale Moon browser
- Head to this website.
- Download the Pale Moon 26 version.
- Save the installer in your desired location.
Do note that this is not the official website from where you can download the Pale Moon 26 version. The official archived version only lets you download the language pack, which in our case is not apt.
Make sure that you have the necessary antivirus tools turned on before visiting a third-party website, and scan the downloaded file before installing it on your PC.
For a list of the best antivirus tools, you can check out our guide on the best antiviruses for Windows 10 and 11.
2. Install Pale Moon browser
- Launch the Pale Moon 26 installer.
- On the initial setup page, select Next.
- You will be asked to select between Standard and Custom installation.
- Once your selection is done, click Next,
- Follow the on-screen prompts and the installation will begin.
- After the installation is complete, you can now enjoy the Pale Moon browser on your Windows XP PC.
What are the features of the Pale Moon 26 browser for Windows XP?
Here are some of the key highlights of this old Pale Moon v26 browser which is the last version that is supported for Windows XP:
- Optimized for modern processors
- Optimized layout and rendering engine (Goanna)
- Regularly updated with the latest security patches
- Additional security features and security-aware development
- Privacy-aware: zero ads; no telemetry, spyware, or data gathering
- Fully customizable interface
- Support for full themes
- Speedy page and script processing
- Support for plugins like Silverlight, Flash, and Java
- Support for a growing number of Pale Moon exclusive extensions
Is Pale Moon better than Firefox?
While the Pale Moon browser is similar to Firefox in many ways. Some of which are mentioned below:
- Both are open-source browsers
- Available across multiple platforms
- Both browsers are privacy focussed
- Support extensions
Now comes the million-dollar question is the Pale Moon browser better than Firefox? The short answer to this is no.
While both have their own merits and demerits, Firefox is actively updated and comes with a plethora of features that Pale Moon has a long way to catch up to.
Moreover, Firefox is more modern and offers plenty of user-oriented features, whereas, Pale Moon looks dated and offers more privacy-centered features.
If you are looking for other options, then you should definitely check out our list of the best browsers that will provide you with the best possible browsing experience.
Let us know in the comments below if you were successful in installing the Pale Moon 26 browser on your Windows XP PC or not by following the above-mentioned methods.