Fix: Payday 2 problems in Windows 10
Payday 2 is a first-person shooter game, but unlike many other shooters, this game puts you in the shoes of a bank robber. Although this game sounds fun, Payday 2 has certain issues on Windows 10, so without further delay, let’s fix these issues.
Payday 2 Problems On Windows 10
Table of contents:
- Payday 2 crash
- Payday 2 not launching
- Payday 2 black screen
Fix – Payday 2 crash
Solution 1 – Turn off Steam Overlay
Users have reported random crashes while playing Payday 2 on their Windows 10 PC. One of the possible culprits for Payday 2 crash might be Steam Overlay, therefore, let’s try disabling Steam Overlay. To disable Steam Overlay, do the following:
- Start Steam.
- Open Settings and click on the In-Game tab.
- Find Enable Steam Community In-Game option and uncheck it. Doing this will disable Steam Overlay for all of your games.
- Click OK to save changes.
If you wish to disable Steam Overlay just for a specific game, in our case Payday 2, follow these steps:
- Open your Steam library and right click Payday 2.
- From the menu choose Properties.
- Go to General tab and uncheck Enable Steam Community In-Game.
Solution 2 – Run Payday 2 in Compatibility Mode
In order to fix Payday 2 crashes on Windows 10, it’s advised that you run the game in compatibility mode. To do that, follow these instructions:
- Find Payday 2 shortcut or go to the game installation directory and locate Payday 2 .exe file. Right-click the file and choose Properties.
- When Properties window opens, go to Compatibility tab.
- Check Run this program in compatibility mode for and choose one of the earlier versions of Windows.
- Click Apply and OK to save changes.
Solution 3 – Move render_settings file
Payday 2 crashes can be caused if a specific file gets corrupt, and often file called render_settings.xml can cause crashing issues with Payday 2. In order to fix these issues, it’s advised that you move this file to a different location, and here’s how to do that:
- Press Windows Key + R and type %appdata%. Click OK or press Enter.
- AppData > Roaming folder will open. Go one folder “up”, or in our case to AppData folder.
- You should see three folders available. Go to Local folder.
- Navigate to PAYDAY 2 folder.
- You should see the render_settings file. Move render_settings to your Desktop.
- Optional: Verify the integrity of game cache.
- Try running Payday 2.
- If the problem still persists, restart your computer and try running the game again.
Solution 4 – Update your drivers
If your graphics card drivers are outdated, you might experience Payday 2 crashes or low fps, and this is why it crucial that you keep your graphics card drivers up to date. Users have reported that they have managed to fix this issue after downloading and installing the latest drivers for their graphics card.
We also strongly recommend TweakBit’s Driver Updater (approved by Microsoft and Norton) to automatically download all the outdated drivers on your PC. This tool will keep your system safe as you can manually download and install the wrong driver version.
Disclaimer: some features of this tool are not free.
Solution 5 – Disable Mods
Disabling modes might help, too. Some of the mods might cause compatibility issues and thus crash the game in certain sequences. Because of that, we advise you to disable mods individually until you find out which one is the cause of the problem.
This can be done simply by navigating to the game’s installation folder and accessing the Mods folder. Once there, you can remove them all at once by simply deleting the complete folder or remove them individually and try Payday 2 again.
Solution 6 – Enable ”Use HQ Weapons”
The most common reason for sudden crashes recently reported on the official Steam forum seems to be related to a certain in-game option. Namely, a lot of users resolved the problem by simply enabling ”Use HQ Weapons” in in-game settings.
It seems that this is a common issue because, if you’ve disabled this option and other users use new gadgets, the game will crash you or freeze.
Fix – Payday 2 not launching
Solution 1 – Verify game cache
Sometimes Payday 2 won’t launch if certain files are missing, and this is why it’s necessary for you to verify the integrity of game cache. To do that, follow these steps:
- Start Steam.
- Go to your game library and locate Payday 2.
- Right-click Payday 2 and choose Properties.
- Navigate to Local files tab and click on Verify integrity of game cache button.
- Wait for the process to complete and try running the game again.
To make sure that verification process is successful, it might be a good idea to delete few files from Payday 2 installation directory before you verify game cache.
Solution 2 – Change render_settings file
If Payday 2 is not launching on your computer, it might be due to game’s resolution. Since you cannot access the game in order to change its resolution, you’ll have to use a different approach. To do that, follow these steps:
- Open AppData folder. To do that press Windows Key + R and type %appdata%. Click OK or press Enter.
- AppDataRoaming folder will open. Go “up” one folder in order to access AppData directory.
- You should see few folder available. Go to Local folder.
- Locate Payday 2 folder and open it.
- Next, locate the render_settings file and open it with Notepad.
- When the render_settings file opens, locate the following line (it might look a bit different on your computer):
- resolution=”1280 720″
- Change the value of quotes to a different resolution. Do not delete the quotation marks, just change the value between them.
- Save changes and try running the game again.
- If the issue persists, try changing resolution value again. You might have to do this a few times before you find the resolution that works for you.
Solution 3 – Delete IPHLPAPI.dll
If you can’t launch Payday 2 on your computer, you might have to remove IPHLPAPI.dll file. This file should be located somewhere in Payday 2 installation directory.
Fix – Payday 2 black screen
Solution 1 – Run Payday 2 in windowed mode
If you have problems with Payday 2 and black screen, maybe you should try running the game in windowed mode. To run Payday 2 in windowed mode, do the following:
- Go to AppDataLocal folder and open Payday 2 directory. If you don’t know how to access AppData folder, check the previous solutions for the explanation.
- Locate the render_settings file and open it with Notepad.
- Find the following line:
and change it to:
- Save changes and try running the game again.
Solution 2 – Reinstall the game
In case the game won’t start or/and it drops to a black screen, we advise you to (after the validity check which is explained above), perform a clean reinstall of Payday 2. You can do so within the Steam client, but there’s a good chance that this procedure will skip on certain remaining files and registry inputs.
You can remove those manually or use TweakBit uninstaller which we highly recommend. If you’re keener to do it by hand, follow these steps to do it:
- Open Steam Client.
- Navigate to Library.
- Right-click on Payday 2 and choose ”Uninstall”.
- Navigate to the installation folder and AppData folder and remove everything.
- Navigate to Registry Editor and type Payday 2 to find the related registry keys. Delete them.
- Restart your PC.
- Open Steam again and locate Payday 2.
- Download and install the game.
These are some of the most common Payday 2 issues that users are having on Windows 10. Most of these issues can be easily fixed by following our solutions, so feel free to try them.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in October 2016 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- Fix: Windows 10 Fullscreen Problems With Games
- How to fix game crashes and other issues on Windows 10
- Fix: Stutter in Games Caused by Diagnostics Policy Service
- Screen turns black when playing games: 4 solutions to quickly fix
Microsoft is all set to launch its next big update, Windows 10 version 1809 in October. While that should be a nice piece of news […]
The Windows 10 October 2018 Update (otherwise 18H2) rollout might now be two to three weeks away. For the last few months, new build previews […]