You might be wondering why you cannot use the People app in Windows 10 Technical Preview and the answer is simple, Microsoft has disabled this application but if you want to find out how exactly you can enable the People app in Windows 10 Technical Preview just follow the simple guidelines below and you will have it up and running in no time.
Keep in mind that the People app is by far a stable application so if you do want to enable it following the lines below you have to accept all the unexpected crashes of the application as well as not being able to access some features and functions within the application. Also if you try to open it without making the required system tweaks the People app will crash.
Tutorial for enabling the People app in Windows 10 Technical Preview
- First of all from the Start screen of your Windows 10 system you need to open the File Explorer.
- Now in the “View” tab situated in the upper side of the File Explorer select to view all hidden files.
- Now double click or double tap to open the “C:” Windows partition.
- Find in the “C” partition and open the “Users” folder.
- In the “Users” folder find and open your username.
- From your username folder find and open the “AppData” folder.
- Now open the “Local” folder which you can find in the “AppData” folder.
- Search and open the “Packages” folder.
- Now in the Packages folder find and open the “Microsoft.People_8wekyb3d8bbwe” folder.
- Now the last folder you need to access is the “LocalState” situated inside the “Microsoft.People_8wekyb3d8bbwe” folder.
- Find and double click or double tap to open the “contacts.txt” file.
Note: You can open it with notepad or another text editor of your choosing.
- In this folder remove everything except the first line and the last line.
Example on how it should look:
- Left click or tap on the “File” button situated in the upper left side of Notepad.
- Left click or tap on the “Save” feature.
Note: An alternative to save the file is by pressing and holding the “Ctrl” button and the “S” button.
- Close the “contacts.txt” file after you saved it.
- Close the windows you opened so far and reboot your Windows 10 operating system.
- After the device starts you can try opening your “People app” and see how it goes.
There you go, by following the lines above you will manage to enable the People app in Windows 10 but if you are stuck in one of the steps in this tutorial please write us in the comments section of the page below and me or my colleagues will help you further as soon as it is possible.