- The Windows 10 built-in PDF printer helps you to convert to PDF any page from various apps.
- Windows 10 offers extensive native PDF support with Edge being the default PDF viewer.
- Thanks to its plethora of printing options, Adobe's tool is a better alternative to Windows 10's built-in print feature.
- The Print to PDF option can be enabled if it does not appear by default.
Windows 10 brought many improvements, and one of the improvements was the ability to print documents to PDF.
This is a welcome addition that can be helpful to many users, and today we’re going to show you how to print to PDF in Windows 10.
Print to PDF feature was available to previous versions of Windows through the use of third-party apps, and since this is such a popular feature, Microsoft decided to add native support for print to PDF.
This means that you don’t have to install any third-party applications or drivers in order to print to PDF in Windows 10.
Although many programs have the option to export the current file as PDF, that option still makes metadata and other information visible to anyone who opens that PDF file.
With print to PDF feature on Windows 10, users will get the same copy of a file in PDF format, just as if it was printed, so no metadata or other sensitive data can be revealed.
As we previously mentioned, by adding native support for print to PDF, you don’t have to use any third-party apps, and you can print to PDF from any application in Windows 10 that supports printing.
Download Adobe Acrobat Reader to access additional PDF printing options. Acrobat Reader is the number one PDF viewer software in the world.
When it comes to printing PDF documents, the tool offers plenty of useful options, including page sizing and handling, orientation, comments and forms settings, and more.
Adobe Acrobat Reader
For additional PDF printing options use one of the best PDF viewer software, with plenty of useful features.
How do I print to PDF in Windows 10?
1. Print to PDF
- Press Ctrl + P to print from any application. Some applications might use a different shortcut, but if the shortcut doesn’t work, you can always use the Print option from the menu.
- Now you should see Microsoft Print to PDF available in list of printers. Select it.
- Click the Print button and choose where you want to save your PDF file.
Printing to PDF in Windows 10 is rather natural and simple, and in order to print to PDF, follow the steps described above.
As you can see, print to PDF procedure is rather straightforward and natural, and if you have printed a document before you should feel familiar with the process.
2. Enable the Print to PDF option
- Press Windows Key + S and enter Windows Features.
- Select Turn Windows features on or off.
- Once Windows Features window opens, locate Microsoft Print to PDF and make sure that it’s enabled. If not, enable it and click OK.
If for some reason the Print to PDF option is missing from the list of printers, you can enable it by following the above steps.
3. Reinstall the PDF printer
- Press Windows Key + S and enter advanced printer setup.
- Choose Advanced Printer Setup from the menu.
- Click The printer that I want isn’t listed.
- Select Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings and click Next.
- Select Use an existing port and from the menu choose FILE: (Print to File). Click Next.
- Select Microsoft from the Manufacturer list and Microsoft Print to PDF from Printers list. Click Next.
- Select the Use the driver that is currently installed (recommended) and click Next.
- Enter the name for the new printer and click Next. Wait for the process to finish.
If Print to PDF option is still missing, you might have to reinstall your PDF printer. After you’ve installed the printer, you should be able to see Print to PDF option and print documents to PDF on Windows 10.
Print to PDF is a useful feature, and it’s no surprise that Microsoft added the ability to print to PDF without the use of third-party applications.
Now when you know how this feature works, make sure that you give it a try. Please let us know in a comment if these steps worked for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Windows users can easily PDF files. Follow the steps in our guide on how to use the Print to PDF option from Windows 10.
If you can’t print because the printer is not displayed in the list, check our guide on how to fix the printer not showing in Adobe Reader.
Adobe Acrobat Reader is the best free PDF printer tool thanks to the plethora of guide including ways to fix PDF Printer error invalidfont.features that it offers, but sometimes it goes into errors. Take a look at our