- The 5b00 error usually denotes a situation when a user cannot print due to the improper usage of the ink cartridge.
- If you encounter the Canon printer error 5b00, then you should reset the waste ink counter as shown below.
- You can also manually clean the waste ink pad by following the steps from our guide.
- Check the ink level of the system, and read on for other potential solutions.
The error code 5b00 is a very common problem that appears on Canon printers quite frequently. While you turn it on and try to print a document, you’ll first notice that the printer boots normally.
However, printing or scanning a document is no longer possible. The lamp starts flashing green and orange a few times in a row, but be sure that this article will help you out.
We have provided some of the best possible solutions for the problem in the below section. Just make sure to follow them carefully to avoid causing any other issues.
What can I do if I get the Canon printer error 5b00?
1. Reset the waste ink counter
- Firstly, unplug the power and the USB cables from the printer.
- Open the cartridge door and press down the Power button.
- Continue to hold the Power button while plugging the power cord into the wall socket.
- Keep holding the Power button until the printer starts resetting itself.
- Once all the lights are on, you may release it.
- Wait for the green power light to turn off.
- Then, press and release the Power button quickly twice.
- The green light should blink for a few more seconds and finally stabilize.
- Feel free to close the cartridge door and try printing again.
The 5b00 error is often caused by ink spills on your printer in Windows 10. The same applies to a full ink absorber or full waste ink counter, so reset the ink absorber.
You may actually apply this quick fix to clear out many error codes that may appear when turning the printer on.
Also, if you can’t remove the printer in Windows 10, you can take a closer look at our comprehensive guide and fix it with ease.
2. Manually clean the waste ink pad
- Open the ink cartridge compartment. Depending on the Canon printer model you use, this compartment could be in the front or the back of the machine.
- Wait for the ink cartridges to move all the way over.
- Up next, disconnect the printer‘s power cord.
- Behind the cartridge is a row of white rollers. Look for a small square near the roller that looks like a foam pad.
- You need to detach the waste ink absorber by pulling gently on its rubber frame.
- Clean it by using a paper towel. Try to collect all ink waste on paper towel pieces.
- Put all the cartridges back in their place.
- Reinstall the frame in the printer.
- You may now press and hold the Power button and reconnect the power cord.
- When the printer comes on, release the button.
- Wait five seconds and push the Power button again. This resets the printer‘s internal memory and overrides the 5b00 error code.
If the issue persists, then you can follow the above steps to fix it. When these waste ink pads are saturated, the printer will notify you with an error message like yours. Do not panic as a manual clean often works like a charm.
You may also use a bucket of soapy water. Just be careful to let the waste ink absorber soak long enough for the ink to get loose before you reattach the foam pads and install the waste ink.
3. Other potential solutions
If the print head is not clean, this can often lead to this error. Check your print head properly and make sure it is clean too.
Also, check the ink level of the system. If the ink level is low, you have no other option but to fill it to the maximum capacity.
Continue the troubleshooting process by resetting your printer to the factory settings.
For constant discounts on Canon ink supplies, check out the Amazon offers and make sure you have the best deals on the market.
Those are a few remedies that might fix Canon printer error 5b00. Apply the above steps and let us know if they worked for you too.
If you have any other questions or suggestions, don’t hesitate to leave them in the comments area below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Check out our comprehensive guideto fix the Canon printer error 5b00 with the quickest solutions.
Take a closer look at our dedicated guide to fix the Canon b203 error with ease.
You should power the printer off completely, and check out our dedicated guide if your printer won’t print in Windows 10 to find the right solutions.