Your printer has experienced an unexpected configuration problem [FIX]
Printers like most of the electronic devices can experience some errors during the use. Users have reported that while printing a document they are experiencing the Your printer has experienced an unexpected configuration error.
The error code and the cause of the error can be different based on the printer you are using and the actual problem. If you are trying to troubleshoot this error with your printer, here are a couple of fixes that you can try.
How to deal with an unexpected configuration problem on printers
1. Run Microsoft Printer Troubleshooter
Microsoft offers a printer troubleshooter to help the user in case they are unable to print or connect the printer to their Windows 10 system. This printer diagnostic tool will scan the system for printer related issues and try to fix it automatically. Here is how to do it.
- Download the Microsoft Printer Troubleshooter tool, here. Click on the installer to run the troubleshooter.
- In the Troubleshooter interface, select Printer and click on Next. It will scan the system and detect the problem.
- If asked, click on “Try troubleshooting as an administrator”.
- The troubleshooter will automatically apply any fixes and show the result.
- Close the troubleshoot and start the printer. Try to print a document and check for any improvements.
2. Update printer drivers
If your printers driver is corrupted and malfunctioning due to incompatibility with the OS, it may result in unexpected configuration problem. Try to update the printer driver from the Device Manager and check for any improvements.
- Press Windows Key + R to open Run.
- Type devmgmt.msc and hit enter to open the Device Manager.
- Expand the Printer section in the Device Manager.
- Select your printer from the list of the printer (if you have multiple printers connected) and right-click on your printer.
- Select “Update Driver”.
- Choose “Search automatically for updated driver software“. Let Windows check for any updates. It will automatically download and install any updates.
3. Clear Spooler Files
If the previous troubleshooting tips did not help in resolving the error, you can try clearing spooler files and restart the spooler service. Spooler service manages the printing job, hence clearing the old files and restarting the service can help fix the issue. Here is how to do it.
Stop Spooler Service
- Press Windows Key + R, to open Run.
- Type services.msc and hit enter to open the Service function.
- In the Services list, locate Printer Spooler service.
- Right-click on Print Spooler and select Properties.
- Click on the Stop button and click OK. This will stop the spooler service.
- Keep the Services window open and proceed with the next steps.
Clear Spooler Files
- Press Windows Key + R to open Run.
- Type %WINDIR%\system32\spool\printers and hit enter.
- In the Printers folder, select all the files and delete them.
- Go back to the Service window, right-click on Printer Spooler and select Properties.
- Click on the Start button and click OK to start the service again.
- Make sure the Startup type is set to Automatic.
- Close the Services window and reboot the system. After the restart check, if you the printer error is resolved.
4. Make the printer sharable
- Press Windows Key + R, type Control to open Control Panel.
- In the Control Panel, search for Devices and Printer. Open Devices and Printer.
- Now right-click on your Printer and select Printer Properties.
- Go the Sharing tab and check the “Share this printer” option.
- Click Apply to save the changes.
- Now try to print a document again and check if the error is resolved.
RELATED STORIES YOU MAY LIKE:
- 6 document management software to improve efficiency at the office
- What are the best email clients for sending out newsletters?
- Here’s how to open PSD files in Windows 10
Have you ever had There was a problem updating your controller error while you were trying to update your Xbox One controller? If the answer […]
Microsoft is currently testing a new Windows 10 build 18362.10005 that will allow digital assistants such as Alexa to appear on the Windows 10 lock […]