Fix: Err_connection_refused error on Windows 10
Computer errors can cause a lot of problems, and while some errors are harmless, some can be more severe. Users reported err_connection_refused error that prevents them from accessing their favorite websites, and today we’re going to show you how to fix this error on Windows 10.
Err_connection_refused error, how to fix it on Windows 10?
Fix – Err_connection_refused on Windows 10
Solution 1 – Use Command Prompt
Command Prompt is a powerful tool that allows you to quickly perform all sorts of commands on your PC. With it you can change system settings and fix all sorts of computer problems. To fix err_connection_refused error with Command Prompt you need to do the following:
- Open Command Prompt as administrator. To do that press Windows Key + X to open Win + X menu and choose Command Prompt (Admin).
- When Command Prompt starts, enter the following commands:
- ipconfig /release
- ipconfig /all
- ipconfig /flushdns
- ipconfig /renew
- netsh int ip set dns
- netsh winsock reset
- After all commands are executed, close Command Prompt.
Now you just need to restart your PC and check if the problem is resolved.
Solution 2 – Change the DNS server
In order to access any website on the Internet, you need to connect to the DNS server first. In most cases, you’ll connect to your ISP’s DNS server, but if your ISP is having some issues with the DNS, you’ll most likely get err_connection_refused error in your browser. To fix this problem you need to switch to a different DNS, and you can do that easily by following these steps:
- Open Network Connections window. You can do that by pressing Windows Key + X and choosing Network Connections option.
- When Network Connections window opens, locate your connection, right click it and choose Properties from the menu.
- Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click the Properties button.
- Select Use the following DNS server addresses option and enter 184.108.40.206 as Preferred DNS server and 220.127.116.11 as Alternate DNS server. If you want to use OpenDNS instead, you need to enter 18.104.22.168 as Preferred and 22.214.171.124 as Alternate DNS.
- After you’re done, click OK to save changes.
- READ ALSO: Fix: Err_spdy_protocol_error on Windows 10
Solution 3 – Disable your proxy
Proxy server is useful if you want to protect your privacy online, but proxy server can sometimes interfere with your connection and it can cause err_connection_refused error to appear. To fix this problem, you need to do the following:
- Click the Menu button in the top right corner and choose Settings from the menu.
- When Settings window opens, click Show advanced settings option.
- Scroll down to the Network section and click Change proxy settings button.
- Now click the LAN settings button.
- Local Area Network (LAN) Settings window will appear. Make sure that all options are unchecked.
- Save changes.
We showed you how to disable proxy using Google Chrome, but you can also access this menu by following these steps:
- Press Windows Key + S and enter internet options.
- Select Internet Options from the menu.
- Now, go to Connections tab and follow the instructions above.
If you want, you can also disable proxy by using Settings app. To do that, follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + I to open the Settings app.
- Navigate to Network & Internet section and choose Proxy.
- Now make sure that Automatically detect settings, Use setup script and Use a proxy server options are disabled.
After turning off your proxy, check if the error is fixed.
Solution 4 – Check your search engine settings
Few users reported that this error appears in Google Chrome because their default search engine was changed. Sometimes third-party applications can change your default search engine in Chrome, thus causing this error to appear. To fix this problem you need to check you search engine settings in Chrome, and you can do that by following these steps:
- Press the Menu button in the top right corner and choose Settings from the menu.
- When Settings tab opens, scroll down to the Search section and click Manage search engines button.
- Make sure that Google is set as a default search engine. If you see any search engines that you don’t recognize, be sure to remove them.
Users reported that their default search engine was set to Google Desktop 127.0.0.1 for some strange reason, but after making the necessary changes, the issue was resolved.
Solution 5 – Restart your router
Network problems can occur due to your router, and if you’re getting err_connection_refused error on your PC, you might be able to fix it by restarting your router. To do that, simply press the power button on the router to turn it off. Wait for 30 seconds and turn your router back on. Wait while the router turns on completely and check if the problem is resolved.
Solution 6 – Reset your router
If restarting your router doesn’t fix the problem, you might want to try resetting it to factory defaults. Sometimes your router configuration can interfere with your Internet connection, and in order to fix this problem you need to reset your router. To reset your router you need to open your router’s configuration page and click the Reset option. Another way to reset your router is to press and hold the reset button on the device for few seconds. Both methods work the same, and you should use the one that you’re most comfortable with. Keep in mind that you’ll need to configure your wireless connection again if you reset your router. For detailed instructions on how to reset your router, we advise that you check your router’s manual.
Solution 7 – Clear your browser’s cache
When you’re browsing the Internet your browser downloads all sorts of files. Sometimes those files can get corrupted, and that can cause err_connection_refused error to appear. To fix this problem, you need to clear your cache, and you can do that by following these steps:
- Click the Menu button in the top right corner and choose Settings.
- When Settings tab opens, scroll all the way down and click on Show advanced settings.
- Scroll down to the Privacy section and click the Clear browsing data button.
- Set Obliterate the following items from to the beginning of time.
- Check Cookies and other site and plugin data, Cached images and files and Hosted app data. Click Clear browsing data.
- Wait while your browser clears the cache.
- After the process is completed, restart your browser and check if the issue is resolved.
Solution 8 – Turn off Windows Firewall
Firewall is important because it prevents unknown applications from accessing the Internet. However, your firewall can also block your web browser and cause err_connection_refused error to appear. To fix this problem, you need to turn off your firewall client. If you’re not using third-party firewall, you’ll have to turn off Windows Firewall. To do that, follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + S and enter firewall. Choose Windows Firewall from list of results.
- Select Turn Windows Firewall on or off from the menu on the left.
- Select Turn off Windows Firewall (not recommended) for both Private network settings and Public network settings. Click OK to save changes.
After turning off your firewall, check if the problem is resolved. If the firewall is causing this problem on your PC, you need to thoroughly check its settings in order to fix the problem.
In addition, you need to check if Chrome is allowed to connect to the Internet. To do that from Windows Firewall, do the following:
- Open Windows Firewall.
- Select Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall.
- List of applications will now appear. To make changes to the list, you need to click Change settings button.
- Look for Google Chrome on the list. Make sure to check Google Chrome in both Private and Public columns.
- Click OK to save changes.
If you are getting this error in some other browser, be sure that the browser is allowed to connect to the Internet.
Solution 9 – Disable your antivirus
Your antivirus is just as important as your firewall since it will protect you from malicious users and malicious software. However, your antivirus can sometimes interfere with your Internet connection, and if that happens, you’ll get err_connection_refused error. To fix this problem, you need to temporary disable your antivirus and check if the problem still persists. If disabling your antivirus solves the issue, it means that certain security setting is blocking your browser.
- READ ALSO: Fix: Err_empty_response error on Windows
To fix the problem, you need to check your antivirus configuration. If you can’t fix the problem, you might want to consider switching to a different antivirus tool. Users reported that Norton antivirus was causing this error on their PC, but after removing the tool completely, the issue was fixed. Another tool that can cause this error to appear is Spyware Doctor, so if you have this tool installed we advise you to remove it and check if that solves the problem.
Solution 10 – Check third-party applications
Your installed applications can sometimes interfere with your Internet connection. Users reported that Privoxy tool caused Chrome’s proxy settings to change. Apparently, if you install this tool you need to run it all the time if you want to access the Internet. To do that, simply enable the option for automatic startup in Privoxy and check if the problem is resolved.
We have to mention that almost any network-related application can interfere with your Internet connection, therefore be sure to check your installed applications. In some cases you might have to remove certain applications to fix this problem.
Solution 11 – Run Chrome as administrator
If you’re having problems with err_connection_refused in Google Chrome, you can fix this issue simply by running Chrome as administrator. To do that, locate Google Chrome shortcut, right click it and choose Run as administrator option. If running Chrome as administrator fixes the issue, you’ll have to run Chrome as administrator every time. This can be a bit tedious process, but you can set Chrome to always run with administrator privileges by following these steps:
- Right click Chrome and choose Properties from the menu.
- Go to Compatibility tab.
- Check Run this program as an administrator.
- Click Apply and OK.
After doing so, Chrome will run with administrative privileges whenever you start it.
Solution 12 – Reset Internet Options to default
Many of your network settings can be configured via Internet Options tool, and sometimes by changing these settings you can cause err_connection_refused error to appear. To fix this problem, you need to reset your Internet Options to default. To do that, follow these instructions:
- Open Internet Options. To see how to do that check Solution 3 for detailed instructions.
- When Internet Options window opens, go to Advanced tab and click the Reset button.
- Select Delete personal settings if you wish and click the Reset button.
- Wait for the reset process to finish.
After resetting Internet Options to default, restart your PC and check if the problem is resolved.
Solution 13 – Use Registry Editor
Few users reported that they fixed the problem with err_connectinon_refused error by making few changes to their registry. Editing your registry can be potentially dangerous, therefore we recommend that you export your registry and use it as a backup in case anything goes wrong. To make changes to your registry, do the following:
- Press Windows Key + R and enter regedit.
- When Registry Editor opens, in left pane navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings key.
- In left pane, locate ProxyEnable DWORD and double click it.
- Change Value Data to 0 and click OK to save changes.
- Close Registry Editor and check if the problem is resolved.
If you’re still having issues on your PC or you simply want to avoid them for the future, we also recommend you to download this tool (100% safe and tested by us) to fix various PC problems, such as errors, file loss, malware and hardware failure.
Err_connection_refused error can prevent you from accessing certain websites, but we hope that you managed to fix the problem by using one of our solutions.
- Fix: Err_internet_disconnected error on Windows 10
- Fix: Error ‘Err_ssl_protocol_error’ in Windows 8.1, 10
- Quick fix for ‘Google Chrome Broken Image Icon’ error
- Fix: “Couldn’t load plugin” Chrome error on Windows 10
- Fix: “Aw, Snap!” error in Google Chrome
Most of us don’t really worry about the data we save on our PCs or laptops and would not even consider protecting it. Not protecting […]
Christmas is the time to buy gifts, whether be it for your loved ones or for use in your own home. Almost everything sells for […]
There are a few hours left until Microsoft starts rolling out the December Patch Tuesday updates. As always, the big M will push many useful […]