- Connecting to websites shouldn't be a need to worry, except for when you have connectivity issues.
- That would be the case of the Err connection refused issue that we will be discussing below.
- For more browser-related troubleshooting guides, visit our website's Browser Errors Hub.
- If your PC needs even more tweaking, check out our Windows 10 Errors Fix page.
Computer errors can cause a lot of problems, and while some errors are harmless, some can be more severe. Users reported the err connection refused error that prevents them from accessing their favorite websites, and today we’re going to show you how to fix this error on Windows 10.
Are you unable to access a website as the err connection refused error prevents you? Start by flashing your DNS via the Command Prompt. That should fix the error immediately. If that’s not the case, change your DNS server to Google’s and give it another go. Alternatively, disable your proxy and check the Search Engine settings.
Find the list of all applicable solutions below.
The solutions will also help you if you are encountering one of the following issues:
- Err connection refused
- Err_connection_refused Windows 10
- Localhost refused to connect Windows 10
How can I fix Err connection refused error?
- Try Opera
- Use Command Prompt
- Change the DNS server
- Disable your proxy
- Check your search engine settings
- Reset your router
- Clear your browser’s cache
- Turn off Windows Firewall
- Disable your antivirus
- Check third-party applications
- Run Chrome as administrator
- Reset Internet Options to default
- Use Registry Editor
To avoid errors like the err connection refused, we suggest switching to Opera. If you’re looking for a stable and fast browser with a plethora of features and a special focus on privacy and online safety, you just found it.
Not only is it secure and reliable, but you’ll have a wonderful time using it. It is lightweight, looks, and feels very modern, and the customization options are off the charts.
More so, it comes with some neat tools rarely seen in browsers for free,e like a built-in ad-blocker, and a VPN that doesn’t have a daily traffic limit.
All in all, if you want a browser that is both stable and fun to use, look no further than Opera.
OperaIf you want lighting-fast Internet browsing that doesn't sacrifice privacy or stability, then Opera is what you need.
2. Use Command Prompt
- Open Command Prompt as administrator.
- To do that press Windows Key + X to open the Win + X menu and choose Command Prompt (Admin).
- To do that press Windows Key + X to open the Win + X menu and choose Command Prompt (Admin).
- When Command Prompt starts, enter the following commands:
netsh int ip set dns
netsh winsock reset
- After all the commands are executed, close Command Prompt.
Command Prompt is a powerful tool that allows you to quickly perform all sorts of commands on your PC. With it, you can change system settings and fix all sorts of computer problems.
Now you just need to restart your PC and check if the problem is resolved.
3. Change the DNS server
- Open Network Connections window.
- When Network Connections window opens, locate your connection, right click it and choose Properties from the menu.
- Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click the Properties button.
- Select Use the following DNS server addresses option and enter 220.127.116.11 as Preferred DNS server and 18.104.22.168 as Alternate DNS server.
- If you want to use OpenDNS instead, you need to enter 22.214.171.124 as Preferred and 126.96.36.199 as Alternate DNS.
- After you’re done, click OK to save changes.
In order to access any website on the Internet, you need to connect to the DNS server first.
In most cases, you’ll connect to your ISP’s DNS server, but if your ISP is having some issues with the DNS, you’ll most likely get the err connection refused error in your browser.
4. Disable your proxy
- Click the Menu button in the top right corner and choose Settings from the menu.
- When Settings window opens, click Show advanced settings option.
- Scroll down to the Network section and click Change proxy settings button. Now click the LAN settings button.
- Local Area Network (LAN) Settings window will appear. Make sure that all options are unchecked.
- Save changes.
We showed you how to disable proxy using Google Chrome, but you can also access this menu by following these steps:
- Press Windows Key + S and enter internet options.
- Select Internet Options from the menu.
- Now, go to Connections tab and follow the instructions above.
If you want, you can also disable proxy by using the Settings app. To do that, follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + I to open the Settings app.
- Navigate to Network & Internet section and choose Proxy.
- Now make sure that Automatically detect settings, Use setup script and Use a proxy server options are disabled.
A Proxy server is useful if you want to protect your privacy online, but a proxy server can sometimes interfere with your connection and it can cause the err connection refused error to appear. After turning off your proxy, check if the error is fixed.
5. Check your search engine settings
- Press the Menu button in the top right corner and choose Settings from the menu.
- When the Settings tab opens, scroll down to the Search section and click the Manage search engines button.
- Make sure that Google is set as a default search engine. If you see any search engines that you don’t recognize, be sure to remove them.
Few users reported that this error appears in Google Chrome because their default search engine was changed. Sometimes third-party applications can change your default search engine in Chrome, thus causing this error to appear.
Users reported that their default search engine was set to Google Desktop 127.0.0.1 for some strange reason, but after making the necessary changes, the issue was resolved.
6. Reset your router
If restarting your router doesn’t fix the problem, you might want to try resetting it to factory defaults. Sometimes your router configuration can interfere with your Internet connection, and in order to fix this problem, you need to reset your router.
To reset your router you need to open your router’s configuration page and click the Reset option. Another way to reset your router is to press and hold the reset button on the device for a few seconds.
Both methods work the same, and you should use the one that you’re most comfortable with. Keep in mind that you’ll need to configure your wireless connection again if you reset your router.
For detailed instructions on how to reset your router, we advise that you check your router’s manual.
7. Clear your browser’s cache
- Click the Menu button in the top right corner and choose Settings.
- When the Settings tab opens, scroll all the way down and click on Show advanced settings.
- Scroll down to the Privacy section and click the Clear browsing data button.
- Set Obliterate the following items from to the beginning of time.
- Check Cookies and other site and plugin data, Cached images and files and Hosted app data.
- Click Clear browsing data.
- Wait while your browser clears the cache.
- After the process is completed, restart your browser and check if the issue is resolved.
When you’re browsing the Internet your browser downloads all sorts of files. Sometimes those files can get corrupted, and that can cause the err connection refused error to appear.
8. Turn off Windows Firewall
- Press Windows Key + S and enter firewall. Choose Windows Firewall from a list of results.
- Select Turn Windows Firewall on or off from the menu on the left.
- Select Turn off Windows Firewall (not recommended) for both Private network settings and Public network settings. Click OK to save changes.
After turning off your firewall, check if the problem is resolved. If the firewall is causing this problem on your PC, you need to thoroughly check its settings in order to fix the problem.
In addition, you need to check if Chrome is allowed to connect to the Internet. To do that from Windows Firewall, do the following:
- Open Windows Firewall.
- Select Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall.
- List of applications will now appear. To make changes to the list, you need to click the Change settings button.
- Look for Google Chrome on the list. Make sure to check Google Chrome in both Private and Public columns.
- Click OK to save changes.
The Firewall is important because it prevents unknown applications from accessing the Internet. However, your firewall can also block your web browser and cause the err connection refused error to appear.
To fix this problem, you need to turn off your firewall client. If you’re not using a third-party firewall, you’ll have to turn off Windows Firewall.
If you are getting this error in some other browser, be sure that the browser is allowed to connect to the Internet.
Your antivirus is just as important as your firewall since it will protect you from malicious users and malicious software.
However, your antivirus can sometimes interfere with your Internet connection, and if that happens, you’ll get the err connection refused error.
To fix this problem, you need to temporary disable your antivirus and check if the problem still persists. If disabling your antivirus solves the issue, it means that certain security setting is blocking your browser.
To fix the problem, you need to check your antivirus configuration. If you can’t fix the problem, you might want to consider switching to a different antivirus tool.
Users reported that Norton antivirus was causing this error on their PC, but after removing the tool completely, the issue was fixed.
Another tool that can cause this error to appear is Spyware Doctor, so if you have this tool installed we advise you to remove it and check if that solves the problem.
10. Check third-party applications
Your installed applications can sometimes interfere with your Internet connection. Users reported that Privoxy tool caused Chrome’s proxy settings to change.
Apparently, if you install this tool you need to run it all the time if you want to access the Internet. To do that, simply enable the option for automatic startup in Privoxy and check if the problem is resolved.
We have to mention that almost any network-related application can interfere with your Internet connection, therefore be sure to check your installed applications. In some cases, you might have to remove certain applications to fix this problem.
- Right-click Chrome and choose Properties from the menu.
- Go to the Compatibility tab.
- Check Run this program as an administrator.
- Click Apply and OK.
If you’re having problems with err connection refused in Google Chrome, you can fix this issue simply by running Chrome as administrator. To do that, locate the Google Chrome shortcut, right-click it and choose Run as administrator option.
If running Chrome as the administrator fixes the issue, you’ll have to run Chrome as an administrator every time. After doing so, Chrome will run with administrative privileges whenever you start it.
- Open Internet Options. To see how to do that check Solution 3 for detailed instructions.
- When the Internet Options window opens, go to Advanced tab and click the Reset button.
- Select Delete personal settings if you wish and click the Reset button.
- Wait for the reset process to finish.
Many of your network settings can be configured via the Internet Options tool, and sometimes by changing these settings, you can cause the err_connection_refused error to appear.
To fix this problem, you need to reset your Internet Options to default. After resetting Internet Options to default, restart your PC and check if the problem is resolved.
13. Use Registry Editor
- Press Windows Key + R and enter regedit.
- When Registry Editor opens, in left pane navigate to the following key:
- In the left pane, locate ProxyEnable DWORD and double click it.
- Change Value Data to 0 and click OK to save changes.
- Close Registry Editor and check if the problem is resolved.
The err connection refused error can prevent you from accessing certain websites, but we hope that you managed to fix the problem by using one of our solutions.
Few users reported that they fixed the problem with the err connection refused error by making few changes to their registry.
Editing your registry can be potentially dangerous, therefore we recommend that you export your registry and use it as a backup in case anything goes wrong.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in May 2019 and has been since revamped and updated in August 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.